Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudden moment a word makes no sense?

1. Top | #1
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Question Sudden moment a word makes no sense?

Every once in a while, my brain goes into overdrive with a word. Such as just now, when I used the word thread pertaining to a 'thread' on this board. And the meaning of that almost seemed like a foreign language as if I've never used the word like that before, but knowing full well I have. On occasion the pronunciation of a word also becomes odd or bizarre, and not because of anything particular with the BS rules of the English language, but rather, it just seems odd, like I've never said the word before.

Anyone else run into this on occasion?

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    literally everyone ever, heh.

have you never heard of this before? it's referenced all the time in TV and movies, it's as common of a cultural artifact as... well, anything i can think of. it's strange how sometimes folks just don't catch something that to others seems very common, human relative experience is so fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_satiation

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post

have you never heard of this before? it's referenced all the time in TV and movies,
    To be fair, it's always seemed to me to be presented on TV as a consequence of drug use.
    "Tartlettes. Tartlettes. Tartlettes. The ssord has lost all meaning."
    I know it's not onlh a drug-addled thing, but yhat seems to be a trope.

One timd i used the phrase, "to be fair," and then spent ten minutes explaining i wasn't going to charge a fare for my explanation. They stared at me.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    To be fair, did this happen after repeating the word a bunch of times?

5. Top | #5
    Might be a replicant Emily Lake's Avatar
    Northern Hemisphere, Bordering the Pacific
    Every once in a while, my brain goes into overdrive with a word. Such as just now, when I used the word thread pertaining to a 'thread' on this board. And the meaning of that almost seemed like a foreign language as if I've never used the word like that before, but knowing full well I have. On occasion the pronunciation of a word also becomes odd or bizarre, and not because of anything particular with the BS rules of the English language, but rather, it just seems odd, like I've never said the word before.

Yup.

For fun, pick any word and repeat it over and over again. It will begin to sound strange and meaningless after a bit.

6. Top | #6
    Might be a replicant Emily Lake's Avatar
    Northern Hemisphere, Bordering the Pacific
    Quote Originally Posted by prideandfall View Post

have you never heard of this before? it's referenced all the time in TV and movies, it's as common of a cultural artifact as... well, anything i can think of. it's strange how sometimes folks just don't catch something that to others seems very common, human relative experience is so fascinating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_satiation
    Oh cool - I didn't know there was a term for it!

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts

Yes! And it's a really fascinating peek into how our brains imbue words with meaning and the "undoing" of that imbuement of meaning is what you experienced. You can experience this on purpose by repeating a word over and over. It will eventually start to sound alien.

Obviously, we can't observe our brains imbuing meaning into words as that is not a conscious process, even as adults learning a new language, but by making a word sound alien, you sort of undo that process and kind of see it in reverse.

Edit: Yes ^ Semantic satiation as Emily posted.
    The Authoritarians

Donald Trump was the fat line of coke conservatives snorted, thinking it would boost their energy and weight loss. Now they're waking up in a cheap motel room, picking at their scabs and denying that they have a problem.

8. Top | #8
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts

Diagnosis: You are human.

9. Top | #9
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

Too early to say.

10. Top | #10
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

Too early to say.

Yeah, an AI would have a hard time with that one.