Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Sudden moment a word makes no sense?

  1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Bible Belt, USA
    Posts
    1,053
    Archived
    2,467
    Total Posts
    3,520
    Rep Power
    69
    If it makes you feel any better, yesterday morning during the bike ride I couldn't remember the first line that Kirk/Picard said in the opening of their respective versions of Star Trek. All I could remember is that in the early 90s I would overspeak it with "Spanning the globe to bring you the contant variety of Trek" to annoy a friend who watched every damn version there was at the time. I was fine with "These are the voyages of the ..." to the end. It wasn't until I got home that it finally clicked that it was "Space, the final frontier." It wouldn't have been so odd if I hadn't had every line of every episode of the original series memorized at one point in my late teens.

    The brain does interesting things sometimes. I just sit back and enjoy the ride.

  2. Top | #12
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,594
    Rep Power
    20
    A common term for such things is 'brain fart'. We all have them.


    We are not computers or Vulcans. Humans actually have a measurable failure rate. Given a repetitive task that is well learned and practiced occasionally it gets don wrong. It is not a matter of intelligence.

    That is probably why politicians learn on camera to speak in short simple responses.

  3. Top | #13
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    30,823
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    73,296
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    A common term for such things is 'brain fart'. We all have them.
    This isn't that. That is when you can't come up with something or your brain BSODs. The issue I raised is more specific about language becoming foreign suddenly.

    Seeing this is common is the best news I've heard since finding out I'm not the only person who had issues hearing the lyrics in songs.

  4. Top | #14
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Layton, UT
    Posts
    2,504
    Rep Power
    17
    The most recent time this happened to me was with the word 'grocery'.

    I was saying it, but my brain was like "no, that's not the right word".....

  5. Top | #15
    Fair dinkum thinkum bilby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Posts
    24,157
    Archived
    10,477
    Total Posts
    34,634
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
    The most recent time this happened to me was with the word 'grocery'.

    I was saying it, but my brain was like "no, that's not the right word".....
    The condition of being gross. "The revelation was so disgusting, I just couldn't get over the sheer grocery of it".

  6. Top | #16
    Tricksy Leftits Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lancre
    Posts
    12,348
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    26,783
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    finding out I'm not the only person who had issues hearing the lyrics in songs.
    You, too? Unless it's a song where the lyrics are loud and clear above the music, I have to put some effort into focusing on lyrics to hear them. All my life I've heard people say things like, "Oh, that song's message is so beautiful!" about a song I've heard a million times. Then I listen to the lyrics and realize, oh, yeah, that is a beautiful message.
    The Authoritarians

    Donald Trump was the fat line of coke conservatives snorted, thinking it would boost their energy and weight loss. Now they're waking up in a cheap motel room, picking at their scabs and denying that they have a problem.

  7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member Tharmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,219
    Archived
    184
    Total Posts
    1,403
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    finding out I'm not the only person who had issues hearing the lyrics in songs.
    You, too? Unless it's a song where the lyrics are loud and clear above the music, I have to put some effort into focusing on lyrics to hear them. All my life I've heard people say things like, "Oh, that song's message is so beautiful!" about a song I've heard a million times. Then I listen to the lyrics and realize, oh, yeah, that is a beautiful message.
    That's exactly my experience too, except I'm often disappointed when I finally listen to the words.

  8. Top | #18
    Tricksy Leftits Angry Floof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lancre
    Posts
    12,348
    Archived
    14,435
    Total Posts
    26,783
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharmas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Floof View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    finding out I'm not the only person who had issues hearing the lyrics in songs.
    You, too? Unless it's a song where the lyrics are loud and clear above the music, I have to put some effort into focusing on lyrics to hear them. All my life I've heard people say things like, "Oh, that song's message is so beautiful!" about a song I've heard a million times. Then I listen to the lyrics and realize, oh, yeah, that is a beautiful message.
    That's exactly my experience too, except I'm often disappointed when I finally listen to the words.
    Me, too. :/
    The Authoritarians

    Donald Trump was the fat line of coke conservatives snorted, thinking it would boost their energy and weight loss. Now they're waking up in a cheap motel room, picking at their scabs and denying that they have a problem.

  9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,594
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    A common term for such things is 'brain fart'. We all have them.
    This isn't that. That is when you can't come up with something or your brain BSODs. The issue I raised is more specific about language becoming foreign suddenly.

    Seeing this is common is the best news I've heard since finding out I'm not the only person who had issues hearing the lyrics in songs.
    Same response in general. We are not computers.

    Even when I was deep into it there were times a technical fact did not come to mind or the wrong fact would come to mind. I could be thinking one thing and find myself saying another. Sometimes I would start doing things wrong I had done many times before..

    If you think you have a cognitive problem see a se specialist and get tested.

    I know from my own experience and of others that stress affects all facets of cognition. Stress you may not consciously be aware of.

    Eve run into someone you know well and can't remember the name immediately?

  10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member Treedbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    out (again) on a limb
    Posts
    2,455
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    ...
    Eve run into someone you know well and can't remember the name immediately?
    Evry day. I've always been really terrible remembering names. Otherwise I'd be worried about it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •