Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reviewing outdated laws

1. Top | #11
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'd like to abolish the second law of thermodynamics. Sometimes I put too much milk in my tea, and it would be nice if I could just stir it back out again.

2. Top | #12
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    Can we get rid of Laws of Logic also? I vote to eliminate the Law of the Excluded Middle.
    I was under the impression that that one had already been repealed, at least for online purposes. But sure, why not?

3. Top | #13
    Local group: Solar system: Earth: NA: US: contiguous states westernmost - IOW here
    Archived
    Total Posts
    My vote is to revoke rationalism, rewrite or replace it with definitions dictated through empiricism.

4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    In a scene from the movie very Which Way But Loose a cop stops a raggedy bunch of half witted bikers and says, 'You are walking violations of the laws of nature, but we don't enforce them around here...'.

Increasing the speed of light would speed up computers for one thing.

Laws. aka models, don't get repealed. They can go out of use and cease to appear in texts but nobody repeals anything.

I feel sorry for Bilby. He is playing the straight man with a torrent of mostly playful humor.

No theories come to mind that were ever repealed by any kind of committee. Cosmologies have come and gone as observations got better.

There were competing theories in the 19th century to explain action at a distance for magnetic and electric observations, like simple static electricity.

The aether through which a mechanical force was thought to be transferred through failed. Maxwell's synthesis passed the experimental tests. It provided a predictive model.

If there is a committee, what is the basis of any power to decide what theories should be sent to the trash folder.

5. Top | #15
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Does anyone have any other requests or suggestions for adjustments to the laws of physics that we should submit for review by the committee, to bring these laws up to date with modern needs?
    Let's be practical here. The Law mankind would benefit most from repealing is Murphy's.

6. Top | #16
    Contributor
    ^he sequence genrally goes like this.

1. Think through an idea
    2. Work out a cogent mathematical expression of tueory.
    3. Pass it around to colleagues for review and inputs
    4. Submit to a peer reviewed publication.

There used to be a link to a science archive for pre review papers. Thousands of papers are written every year. Only a few make it to high level peer review. Some people self publish books, probably to meet the publish or perish hurdle. In physics completion for recognition in academic can be fierce. Many good people and not a lot of paying jobs. Those in private research don't always get to publish.

You don't just email suggestions to a committee somewhere. Certainly not without credentials.

Me, I am an academic n0body and quite happy with it.

7. Top | #17
    Local group: Solar system: Earth: NA: US: contiguous states westernmost - IOW here
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm sure conducting experiments fit in there somewhere. Written a few published articles, generally with a co-author who knows how to write. My strength was asking critical questions then finding answers through experiment.