Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Animals That Speak

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Since dogs bark at each other and know damn well what it means...how did you ever come to the conclusion they weren't speaking until now?

2. Top | #12
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Dogs bark at a lot of things.

They are talking to none of them.

They are communicating with sound.

That is not language.

3. Top | #13
    Contributor
    There are cultures that raise dogs as pets, then eat them. So what? We are in the end animals, a favt we try to obscure with philosophy and religion

Eating and procreating are genetic imperatives. Takeawy the fancy covers we have for ourselves and we a really advanced chimps. Feces flinging and driven by sex. Doin the hunka chunka and makin bacon are primary activities.

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    What implications do you all think this may have on the fact that we eat them?
    For some people they will still be just as tasty.
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

5. Top | #15
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    There are cultures that raise dogs as pets, then eat them. So what? We are in the end animals, a favt we try to obscure with philosophy and religion
    Most Americans are too isolated from their food source to accept reality. They seem to think (or like to pretend) that the chunk of meat they have for dinner originated in that little Styrofoam tray covered in saran wrap.

I've often thought that it would be a good object lesson if people had to at least once catch, kill, and dress a chicken before they were allowed to eat chicken.

6. Top | #16
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Most Americans are too isolated from their food source to accept reality. They seem to think (or like to pretend) that the chunk of meat they have for dinner originated in that little Styrofoam tray covered in saran wrap.

I've often thought that it would be a good object lesson if people had to at least once catch, kill, and dress a chicken before they were allowed to eat chicken.
    If they did it wouldn't make a difference. People have killed and prepared animals for food ever since we've been human. Just because we're currently ignorant of the facts doesn't change the facts. We eat other animals. Chickens and most birds eat other animals. Everything in the sea eats everything else for chrits sake. And if there were no predators the prey would soon deplete their own food source. Deer need wolves in order to exist. And compared to being run down and torn apart by a pack of wolves the modern slaughter house is the preferred way to go. OK, killing and gutting one chicken might change a few people's minds today, but it wouldn't teach them anything. It might even teach them the wrong lesson because an amateur's attempt would probably be far more cruel than how chickens are killed on a farm. If they actually depended on raising their own food it would soon be no big deal.

7. Top | #17
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    ^ ^ ^

I agree that it wouldn't change anything except maybe be a lesson that would make people aware of the real world.

When visiting friends in Mexico, I can see the children playing with the kid goats. One of the kid goats will then be slaughtered (the children, always curious, watching) and we have goat tacos for dinner. The children accept this as just the way life is and really enjoy their goat tacos. Most Americans don't seem to have that level of acceptance of reality.

8. Top | #18
    ^^^
    Well it does force one to think about it.
    The last time I went fishing years ago and caught a small perch I dispatched it promptly by cutting off its head and gutting it. I did feel a twinge of sorrow and also a sense of guilt that required me to think realistically afterwards about what happened. Me and my friends ate it for dinner. I became a vegetarian for about seven years after that. My health suffered so I switched back to omnivore and never looked back. So you might be right. It takes a while to figure things out so you might as well get started early.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    As we consider it to be wrong to kill and eat other people, there may be reasons to consider it wrong to kill and eat some other species of animal.

Perhaps degree of sentience may be the metric.

10. Top | #20
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I have two pet birds who do speak. They say bye bye to me when they see me leaving the house. The say night night when I put them to bed. One says "Hi guy" whenever I walk into the room. She also says, "Stop that Kermit" if our two dogs bark, as we had a dog named Kermit when we brought her into our home 30 years ago. I actually regret having the birds because they may outlive me, plus they demand a lot of attention and it will be impossible to find them a home where they will be as well treated as they are now. I would prefer that they die of natural causes while living with me. Dogs don't talk, but they certainly understand a lot of our language, so they do communicate with us non verbally.

I do feel a little guilty that I eat chicken, cows and pigs, but I do try to buy the kind that are supposedly raised and treated humanely before they become food on my table. I have known a few people who raised and then slaughtered the meat that they put on the table, so not everyone is distanced from the meat that they eat. In fact, that's how all meat was raised in the past.

My dogs eat dog food that is made up of other animals. Dogs are omnivores, but they need more animal protein than humans. Cats seem more carnivorous for the most part. Some parrots enjoy eating chicken, so it's fair to say that many if not most animals will indulge in eating other animals. But, most of us don't eat our pets.