Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidney Powell... well... keep the fragile stuff away when you read this

1. Top | #1
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Angry Sidney Powell... well... keep the fragile stuff away when you read this

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Right-wing lawyer Sidney Powell is claiming in a new court filing that reasonable people wouldn't have believed as fact her assertions of fraud after the 2020 presidential election.

In a new court filing, Powell's attorneys write that she was sharing her "opinion" and that the public could reach "their own conclusions" about whether votes were changed by election machines.

"Given the highly charged and political context of the statements, it is clear that Powell was describing the facts on which she based the lawsuits she filed in support of President Trump," Powell's defense lawyers wrote in a court filing on Monday.

"Indeed, Plaintiffs themselves characterize the statements at issue as 'wild accusations' and 'outlandish claims.' They are repeatedly labelled 'inherently improbable' and even 'impossible.' Such characterizations of the allegedly defamatory statements further support Defendants' position that reasonable people would not accept such statements as fact but view them only as claims that await testing by the courts through the adversary process."
    Are you *bleeping* kidding me?! I mean yes, I get it, if she and her lawyers don't lie about her lying, she is liable, pretty much dead to rights in the lawsuit from Dominion Voting Systems. That they take this route means they fear "free speech" isn't going to cut it.

Release the Kraken anyone?!

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So, at the very least they are admitting to frivolous lawsuits. Should get her automatically disbarred at the bare minimum.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    I know that cable-TV liars like Alex Jones and Tucker Carlson have defended themselves in court by alleging that their opinions are just "entertainment." But now lawyers lawyering for the Republioturds are, in effect, adopting the same defense? Just when it seems impossible for things to get even more surreal, reality out-parodies egregious fiction.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So, does the part where her lawyers state (my emphasis): "Such characterizations of the allegedly defamatory statements further support Defendants' position that reasonable people would not accept such statements as fact but view them only as claims that await testing by the courts through the adversary process." mean they are saying Red Hats are idiots?

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    She is culpable in the violent Capitol treason.

A traitor. Deliberately lying about election results and getting the unreasonable very upset.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Even if the court doesn't wind up disbarring her over this, it's not really an effective defense. I mean "I was lying through my teeth about this and no one should have been dumb enough to believe me" is fine if you're a TV personality. But admitting that's what you were doing, in a court, as defense against a lawsuit that is basically accusing you of lying through your teeth strikes me as an own goal of epic proportions.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post
    So, at the very least they are admitting to frivolous lawsuits. Should get her automatically disbarred at the bare minimum.
    disbarred? Her tongue should be cut out and buried like toxic waste.

8. Top | #8
    Contributor

Trump's lawyer admits lying and that Trump supporters are not reasonable persons

Sydney Powell, Trump's campaign lawyer has filed a motion to dismiss the defamation suit brought against her by claiming that "no reasonable person would conclude that the statements [she made about widespread voter fraud] were truly statements of fact".
    https://www.law.com/nationallawjourn...20210224114742

It is beyond any doubt that millions of Trump supporters did believe the things she said, with thousands willing to commit treason and dozens willing to commit violent assault and murder over it. Thus, she implicitly is admitting that Trump supporters are not reasonable persons. While that assumption is true and there is a mountain of evidence to support it, it will be interesting whether she'd be willing to present that evidence proving their lack of reasonableness in court, or whether the court would be willing to conclude that millions of American voters not formally diagnosed with mental illness can be treated by the law as "not reasonable persons".

If the court finds someone is "not a reasonable person" under a defamation suit, could that be used as evidence of their mental unfitness in general, such a with power of attorney issues, parental rights, etc.?

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member
    There's a bunch of people I'd like to see brought in as witnesses.
    Asked, under oath, "Do you agree with Ms Powell on the mental condition of the supporters who believed what she said in multiple public statements?"
    Tom

10. Top | #10
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What Im wondering is how Powell thought she could have ever got away with spreading her lies. What was her motivation? What would be her payoff? Some kind of under the table bribe?