Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Rationalizing faith.

1. Top | #311
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Debate? How do you debate on behalf of faith?

2. Top | #312
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    You must of missed (if not ignored or forgotten) those many upon many video -recorded debates that's out there online. Whether you agree to how each individual defines their faith or not in their debates ...

It's been done my friend, regardless.

Those debates EXIST!

3. Top | #313
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    You must of missed (if not ignored or forgotten) those many upon many video -recorded debates that's out there online. Whether you agree to how each individual defines their faith or not in their debates ...

Those debates EXIST!
    The debates, like faith itself, do exist....but that doesn't mean that those arguing on behalf of faith have a leg to stand on.

4. Top | #314
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

Those debates EXIST!
    I hope I am not shaking your faith?

For me definition is unimportant, unless the faith or belief is harmful to others. All beliefs serve in the end provide an emotional shield and a sense of security. The internal Christian debates are just pointless distractions. Evangelicals reject Catholics and Mormons. Debates over who is a real Christian. Part and parcel of any social organization, religion is the same form as any group. Debate over something I see as myth and illusion and perhaps delusion means nothing to me.

I read a bio of Aquinas. His job was a theology 'hit man'. He traveled around debating those who questioned the Vatican orthodoxy. Thousands of years of theology, leading to violence and war.

I do not fear the valley of the shadow of death because god, living in denial of aging and death. If it is not one thing it is another.

Christian faith is a talisman to ward off evil, regardless of how you rationalize faith. It makes you feel secure.

I see most of modern western human culture to be about creating an emotional bubble keeping out the reality of our existence and nature. Religion being one of many.

I am not anti religion or any belief in general as long as it is not destructive.. Oppressing gays based on a few lines in an ancient text is harmful. Beiveing god will protect you and not getting vaccinated is harmful to society. Parents who deny mediqcl treatment for kids based on faith healing. Rationalizing absurdity through faith.

And again as I see it it is not just religion that can be harmful. There are plenty of other cultural facets that are harmful, and we are witnessing it. The rise in mass killings and addictions. Which is why I criticize AF for a singular focus on religion as a root cause of our ills.

5. Top | #315
    If there is a most hated atheist, I'm thunking it is probably Mao Zedong, whose family name has become a byword for everything Evangelicals fear and despise.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."