Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243
Results 421 to 428 of 428

Thread: Rationalizing faith.

  1. Top | #421
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    7,481
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    12,520
    Rep Power
    83
    There are rational and irrational parts of the religious corpus. Religious people seem able to recognize the irrational parts of other religions but unable to recognize the irrational parts of their own. It's damn interesting, don't you think? How does that work?

    Or maybe they are unable to recognize the irrational parts of other religions as well, but merely say they are irrational out of fear of their own religion. I think this is more likely the case.

  2. Top | #422
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,876
    Rep Power
    21
    I worked with creationist Christians who were god engineers. They compartmentalized region and scince.

  3. Top | #423
    Elder Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    11,543
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    29,449
    Rep Power
    80
    Santa Claus for adults, the Celestial Father figure bearing wonderful gifts, immortality, an end to all suffering, live in a state of bliss forever and ever, amen.

  4. Top | #424
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    7,481
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    12,520
    Rep Power
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I worked with creationist Christians who were god engineers. They compartmentalized region and scince.
    Some brains obviously do that with ease. Just another page in the march of natural selection. I'm certain that one day we will be able to recognize the difference between a religious brain and a rational brain just as easily as we recognize the difference between persons that are five feet tall and six feet tall. There are reasons some brains go off the religious deep end.

    It's also worth noting (again pardon the pedantry) that relighious brains today aren't totally whacked out. Their kinda crazy lite. The really crazy ones are regularly weeded out of the gene pool.

  5. Top | #425
    Elder Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    11,543
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    29,449
    Rep Power
    80
    An interaction of mind/brain and environment producing nearly every possible combination or degree of the rational or irrational, crazy and/or sane, adaption or maladaptation.

  6. Top | #426
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,876
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post
    An interaction of mind/brain and environment producing nearly every possible combination or degree of the rational or irrational, crazy and/or sane, adaption or maladaptation.
    Nice summary.

  7. Top | #427
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    6,184
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    There are rational and irrational parts of the religious corpus. Religious people seem able to recognize the irrational parts of other religions but unable to recognize the irrational parts of their own. It's damn interesting, don't you think? How does that work?

    Or maybe they are unable to recognize the irrational parts of other religions as well, but merely say they are irrational out of fear of their own religion. I think this is more likely the case.
    Believe me, this is not a phenomenon specific to religion. I work in academia, and it is a failing of foolish people everywhere (even the very smart ones) that they think being able to poke holes in other people's ideas means that their own ideas must be impermeable.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

  8. Top | #428
    Elder Contributor DBT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    ɹǝpunuʍop puɐן
    Posts
    11,543
    Archived
    17,906
    Total Posts
    29,449
    Rep Power
    80
    Ideas are by nature questionable. Why some are reluctant or unwilling to question their own ideas, assumptions or beliefs may be part of the question.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •