Thread: The Windows curse

1. Top | #1
    Contributor

The Windows curse

I got a smart phone with a hot spot for my home internet access.

W10 recognizes it but says can't reach the Internet.

Turns out a lot of people have the same problem.
    From the reporting on the net looks like it was fine until an update.

The Windows Curse.

Now I have to play with the firewall and the other AV software.

Windows is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Gave up on Win10. How some like it is a mystery.

3. Top | #3
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I recently got a Windows 10 computer at work. The company delayed the upgrade from Win 7 for as long as possible, but can't afford to stay with Win7 past its end of support date.

I had a détente with the sysadmin (who distrusts me with good reason) that allowed me to run Ubuntu on my workstation, nut I decided to switch to Win10 to take advantage of better printer support. (We use a lot of printers.)

In some ways,10 is a nice improvement over 7. The UI is prettier. The boot time is amazing. Windows Subsystem for Linux is pretty cool.

But I have had a lot of teething problems. Some printer drivers (a big impetus to move to Windows) cause the spool service to crash. Acrobat Reader's print function is buggy, but only on some workstations. The sysadmin won't allow the workstations to connect to Microsoft Store, so some Appx installations have to be done manually. Smart Screen is also blocked by the network firewall, but it took me ages to figure this out, and until I did, every installer would hang for over a minute. The password change form doesn't tell me what the password rules are. I also had to switch off notifications because it kept spamming me with anti-virus notifications for no reason.

Some of Win10's changes are just annoying. It's hard to launch a second file explorer window (or a second instance of anything, for that matter); it's hard to pin shortcuts to the taskbar and start menu (I use three different Chrome profiles but you can't just pin three Chrome shortcuts to the taskbar.) There are ways to accomplish these things, but it's just harder than it used to be.

Basically:

I used to be with 'it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it' any more and what's 'it' seems weird and scary. It'll happen to you!