Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing Mohammed

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

Drawing Mohammed

I just realised the idiocy of not being allowed to paint Mohammed. Nobody knows how he looked like. Nobody who draws him will be remotely close to it. All Muslims can relax now

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The lack of a model hasn't stopped any votive artist, ever. Have you seen Jesus' high school graduation pic? No one has. So how come we all know that JC looked like Jared Leto?

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    They feared an image of him would become an idol and the message lost. Ironically, Instead the rule against images of him has itself become an idol and people have forgotten the message.

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    To the biblical Hebrews any physical representation of god was blasphemy and idolatry. A serious crime in the times They distinguished themselves from pagans who worshiped physical images.

The RCC sect is particularly idolatrous. They worship and pray to statues and images. Idolatry.

5. Top | #5
    It's a shibboleth. The point isn't whether the rules makes sense, the point is to show other people that you know and follow the rule.

My primary school history textbook had a Mongolia-era historical image of the Prophet (pbuh) conversing with the angel Gabriel on the second page of its description of the faith as a whole. I didn't realize until many years later how uncommon and potentially offensive such an image was.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

6. Top | #6
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    To the biblical Hebrews any physical representation of god was blasphemy and idolatry. A serious crime in the times They distinguished themselves from pagans who worshiped physical images.
    To some of the Biblical Hebrews. The other Biblical Hebrews were the ones committing all the blasphemies. You get the sense, reading works like the Books of the Kings, that this often constituted a strong populational majority, with only a small conservative priesthood-within-the-priesthood left to disapprove. But the conservatives won out in the end.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

7. Top | #7
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    It's a shibboleth. The point isn't whether the rules makes sense, the point is to show other people that you know and follow the rule.
    That is religion for you. It doesn't matter if someone knows that the rules make no sense, even to the point of stupidity, they will continue to obey because they were told to. It does, however, explain how religions can make people commit atrocities they would otherwise condemn.

8. Top | #8
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    That is religion for you. It doesn't matter if someone knows that the rules make no sense, even to the point of stupidity, they will continue to obey because they were told to.
    Sometimes. It's certainly the logic of authoritarianism. Life as one long test of loyalty.

9. Top | #9
    Contributor
    The social value of religion is structure and order, a set of rules governing behavior.

The original Romans understood the value of a state religion and rituals.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts

My primary school history textbook had a Mongolia-era historical image of the Prophet (pbuh) conversing with the angel Gabriel on the second page of its description of the faith as a whole. I didn't realize until many years later how uncommon and potentially offensive such an image was.
    It's a school history textbook. They would be unprofessional if they would give a shit about religious sensibilities when describing the religion. It's like leaving out troubling parts of history because it might hurt people's feelings.

This idea that people who don't belong to a religion has to respect it's rituals and customs is mind blowing to me. It's so dumb.