Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Debate: Office Candy or Not?

1. Top | #1
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

Debate: Office Candy or Not?

We’re having a spring Office fitness challenge. Get everyone to walk 10,000 steps a day for a month. And I feel like the biggest Scrooge, but I want to say, “Well, can we have all the admins remove their Candy bowls for the month, too? Otherwise what’s the point?”

So here’s the debate: pros and cons on Office Candy.

2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    We’re having a spring Office fitness challenge. Get everyone to walk 10,000 steps a day for a month. And I feel like the biggest Scrooge, but I want to say, “Well, can we have all the admins remove their Candy bowls for the month, too? Otherwise what’s the point?”

Maybe replace (temporarily) with bowls of fruit? Cheese platter? A nice plant?

3. Top | #3
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This kind of thing is a problem in our office too, but people like it. I find it funny that it's just assumed that I want chocolate, donuts, etc. But most of the time it's true: put food out and people are like moths to a flame.

Eventually I just, get this, exercised my willpower and stopped eating anything put out that wasn't healthy.

4. Top | #4
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
    Eventually I just, get this, exercised my willpower and stopped eating anything put out that wasn't healthy.
    So that’s the debate. Is it appropriate to make it harder for people to be healthy, especially during a health challenge?

Is it inappropriate for a person to say, can we not have a continuously refilled chocolate bowl at my office doorway?”

5. Top | #5
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So that’s the debate. Is it appropriate to make it harder for people to be healthy, especially during a health challenge?

Is it inappropriate for a person to say, can we not have a continuously refilled chocolate bowl at my office doorway?”
    Well, if you want a serious answer I'd say a fitness challenge that encourages steps is already encouraging health in the wrong way, so I'd say that the candy bowl can stay. Likely few people are invested in taking the challenge that seriously, and would rather just have the candy.

But if you want to have a real fitness challenge, then take away the candy bowls permanently, and encourage something like a daily stretch and more reasonable number of steps per day.

6. Top | #6

A certain Silicon Valley (ex)startup company I knew had to shutter its doors exactly three weeks to the day after they took away the free candy and snack cabinet that had formerly been placed in the employee lounge. Coincidence? I think not.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    To snack or not to snack, that is the question.

Exercise washout learning to control food impulses is pointless. This much I know for certain.

Consider the candy part of the exercise to control your health. Use the candy as a talking point.

8. Top | #8
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    A bowl of nuts would be a much healthier snack, even better than fruit if trying to diet. A lot of sugar in many fruits.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Jebus! If the candy bowl was bottomless, the company would end up spending thousands a week for candy!

10. Top | #10
    Deus Meumque Jus
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    A bowl of nuts would be a much healthier snack, even better than fruit if trying to diet. A lot of sugar in many fruits.
    It's all about portion size, and the total calories you're consuming in a day. Fruit packs a pretty good nutritional benefit, not a big issue if eaten in moderation

The problem with most people's weight comes down to drinking 600 ml of pure sugar water every day.