Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Masturbation! Guilt and Religion!

1. Top | #21
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I went to high school in New Jersey. The school nurse was also the health educator and she was the one who did the sex ed class. Oddly enough, we had a sex ed class at my church for the high school kids. Of course by then, regardless if we were still vigins or not, we at least had a basic understanding of human sexuality.

But, once again the topic of masturbation never was mentioned.

My husband has never seemed to suffer any guilt from his Catholic upbringing. His mother and most of the Catholic mothers who I knew from that generation, seemed to think that sex was a duty, not something that they enjoyed themselves. As a woman who has always had a healthy sex drive and who has always enjoyed the experience, I felt so bad for all those women who were deprived of the joy of sex. I'm monogamous, so I'm talking about the wonderful sex that married couples are capable of enjoying. I do wonder if religious indoctrination has ruined the sexual experience even for those who are married. Hopefully not these days, but I'm sure it was a problem in the past. I'm pretty sure there are many widowed folks who enjoy self pleasuring while fantasizing. I'm pretty sure an older female friend of mine who is divorced has an assortment of sex toys based on some comments she's made, so.....

If masturbation was encouraged by religion, both men and women would probably be much better informed when they started having partners, even if they only had one marital partner for their entire lives.

I know that the Hindu religion has a lot of beautiful sexual rituals, but I'm not sure that religion looks favorably on self stimulation. I'll have to check that out and see what I can find. Why do so many religions deny their followers the natural pleasures in life? Not to be disrespectful towards those who are asexual as I know that is natural for a very small percentage of people. The purpose of this thread is not to condemn anyone who has no interest in sex. It's meant to discuss religions that outlaw or condemn the most harmless sexual activity of all.

2. Top | #22
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Youcan takem the kjid out of the Catholicmchurch, but you can't take the church out of the kid.

Those of us who grew up indoctrinated in the RCC always carry residual guilt. We grow up feeling guilty of something intangible.

In the 70s I was in the shower with a girlfriend who had an Aha! moment. She said 'Sex isn't dirty!!!'.

It is more than that. Women breast feeding in public is or has been considered an obscenity. Bare breasted women.
    When something bad happens, guilty feeling Catholics ask "How is this my fault?"

Masturbation was never discussed during my catholic years, but then neither was sex in any way. I can even remember one girl obviously menstruating and oblivious to the fact when I was in 8th grade. Parents of those large catholic families just didn't talk about sex with their kids, likely because the subject was taboo. Very weird.
    I had zero sex ed from anyone, I learned it in the neighborhood. As an adult I learned I was not alone. It was never discussed even in high school.

Here in Washington there there has been a battle between conservatives over mandatory sex ed for kids in school.

Someonehow sex ed is going to turn them into wanton sex crazed maniacs. It happens regardless
    Yes, the sexual equivalent of "reefer madness."

3. Top | #23
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Good for the Hindus!

https://www.speakingtree.in/allslide...n-a-sin/145606

According to Hinduism, seeking Kama is one of the four objectives of human life. Apart from a person who has taken vow of Brahmacharya, Hinduism grants complete freedom in sexuality. The Hindu treatise on sex Kama Sutra (4th to 6th centuries AD) does not condemn masturbation at all and moreover explains in detail the best procedure to masturbate. According to Hinduism, life begins at the Brahmacharya in which they are directed to chastely advance themselves educationally and spiritually to prepare themselves for a life of furthering their dharma and karma ; only once they reach the Grihastya or "householder" stage can they seek kama and artha through their vocations. Sexual pleasure is part of kama, one of the four goals of life.
    I wonder why more religions don't have such a reasonable position on sex. But, I don't know enough about this particular religion to know if that is how all members view sex or if Hinduism, like most religions has been divided into sects that disagree with each other.

I wonder why so few have shared their personal views on this topic.

4. Top | #24
    Contributor
    It is probabaly on the net. There is an old Indian temple with explicit sex positions carved into the walls.

Also on the net, a Japanese town has a yearly penis festival. A huge penis is carried in a parade. Penis popsicles. The thing is it is not 'sexual'. A celebration of life.

On the other hand the sons of Moses see his father naked and they are horrified.

Our sexual mess is what happens when a few assume a moral absolute from on high.

5. Top | #25
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Good for the Hindus!

According to Hinduism, seeking Kama is one of the four objectives of human life. Apart from a person who has taken vow of Brahmacharya, Hinduism grants complete freedom in sexuality. The Hindu treatise on sex Kama Sutra (4th to 6th centuries AD) does not condemn masturbation at all and moreover explains in detail the best procedure to masturbate. According to Hinduism, life begins at the Brahmacharya in which they are directed to chastely advance themselves educationally and spiritually to prepare themselves for a life of furthering their dharma and karma ; only once they reach the Grihastya or "householder" stage can they seek kama and artha through their vocations. Sexual pleasure is part of kama, one of the four goals of life.
    I wonder why more religions don't have such a reasonable position on sex. But, I don't know enough about this particular religion to know if that is how all members view sex or if Hinduism, like most religions has been divided into sects that disagree with each other.

That's really oversimplifying Hinduism... it is true that the Tantric perspective on masturbation is a positive one, though.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

6. Top | #26
    Contributor
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/japan...suri_n_5106378

Japanese penis festival. Kids, families. Warning, may be offensive to some....

7. Top | #27
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/japan...suri_n_5106378

Japanese penis festival. Kids, families. Warning, may be offensive to some....
    If anyone is offended by a good old-fashioned penis festival, they deserve to be upset!
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

8. Top | #28
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Good for the Hindus!

That's really oversimplifying Hinduism... it is true that the Tantric perspective on masturbation is a positive one, though.
    Yes. It is. I was just trying to find some perspective on some of the Hindu perspective on masturbation. Tantric is a wonderful way to enjoy sex, especially for older folks. It has always irked me when atheists criticize Tantra. Of course, it has no supernatural powers, but there are some wonderful love rituals that can enhance one's sex life. But, I'm a bit off topic now.

9. Top | #29
    Contributor
    I suppose you can turn sex into a kind of religious, mystical, or spiritual experience, for me it is 'insert part a into part b, and move it around.

Pure animal needs.

10. Top | #30
    I suppose you can turn sex into a kind of religious, mystical, or spiritual experience, for me it is 'insert part a into part b, and move it around.

Pure animal needs.
    Sounds like... fun? I guess?

Nah, sex magic is way better.