Thread: Google

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top | #1
    Contributor

Google

I got a smart phne for a wireless hot spot and it works fine.

When I went through all the settings I found the default is letting google have aspects of your information. I had to go through it all and deny google access.

Periodically I get a pop up asking to enable a service.

I did a search on test equipment, and lo and behold I startd seeing test equipment ads when I go to CNN.

I sted to sign up for gmail and gave it up after being pestered to go through a list of options.

Google is hardwired into the Android OS on my phone.

It is a conspiracy theory come true.

2. Top | #2
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post

When I went through all the settings I found the default is letting google have aspects of your information. I had to go through it all and deny google access.

I did a search on test equipment, and lo and behold I startd seeing test equipment ads when I go to CNN.

I sted to sign up for gmail and gave it up after being pestered to go through a list of options.

If you are getting pop-up ads related to your searches then I would guess that you are using Google for your search engine. You could switch to DuckDuckGo as your search engine and that would end the problem.

3. Top | #3
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post

If you are getting pop-up ads related to your searches then I would guess that you are using Google for your search engine. You could switch to DuckDuckGo as your search engine and that would end the problem.
    An observation, not a problem per se. It doesn't bother me.

It is the issue of big tech and their power.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts

But big tech has power only because a lot of people use them. If enough people stopped using them and switched to other sources then they would lose much of their income stream and likely stop abusing their power in an attempt to attract users back.

5. Top | #5
    Contributor

But big tech has power only because a lot of people use them. If enough people stopped using them and switched to other sources then they would lose much of their income stream and likely stop abusing their power in an attempt to attract users back.
    People giving up technology? Surely you jest. It is engrained in culture at this point.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts

People giving up technology? Surely you jest. It is engrained in culture at this point.
    You missed the point. Using a search engine other than Google is not abandoning technology. It is supporting a search engine that does not do what upsets you about Google. If you don't like Google's abusive use of power then use another search engine like DuckDuckGo. If enough people did then Google would have to change or die. If enough people don't then, at least, Google wouldn't be using information they collect about you to increase their power. That isn't giving up technology but using a technology company that does not collect or abuse information about you.

People who don't like Windows use Unix, some specifically to deny Windows the power to control anything about their computer use.

Google is not the only search engine and Windows is not the only operating system. People who don't like the power those two companies wield have a choice to not use them yet still embrace computer technology.
    Last edited by skepticalbip; 04-06-2021 at 03:10 AM.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts

Wasn't this their USP? Android is the Google equivalent of the iPhone.