Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Navigation in space

1. Top | #51
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    Certainly the scriptwriters weren't interested in bothering to imagine space as a three dimensional vacuum where motion is subject to the laws of Relativity (except when the limitations of lightspeed needed to be handwaved away). They wrote what they knew - naval actions on the two dimensional surface of a planet - and just changed the setting to "outer space" with no particular care for the actual differences between deep space and a planetary surface.
    My favorite example:

Spock: "He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking."

Kirk: "Z minus 10,000 meters."

For the direction the Enterprise needed to move along in order to get out of the plane of Khan's two dimensional movements to be the Z axis, the Enterprise would need to have started out lined up with that plane. I.e., Kirk's pattern also indicates two dimensional thinking. Kirk's experienced; what's his excuse?

2. Top | #52
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    Certainly the scriptwriters weren't interested in bothering to imagine space as a three dimensional vacuum where motion is subject to the laws of Relativity (except when the limitations of lightspeed needed to be handwaved away). They wrote what they knew - naval actions on the two dimensional surface of a planet - and just changed the setting to "outer space" with no particular care for the actual differences between deep space and a planetary surface.
    My favorite example:

Spock: "He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking."

For the direction the Enterprise needed to move along in order to get out of the plane of Khan's two dimensional movements to be the Z axis, the Enterprise would need to have started out lined up with that plane. I.e., Kirk's pattern also indicates two dimensional thinking. Kirk's experienced; what's his excuse?
    Against a competent opponent it probably doesn't matter.

3. Top | #53
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In Star Trek universe, space itself seems to be two-dimensional, not just the thinking of inexperienced captains. Observe the shock wave in the beginning of Undiscovered Country:

4. Top | #54
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
    In Star Trek universe, space itself seems to be two-dimensional, not just the thinking of inexperienced captains. Observe the shock wave in the beginning of Undiscovered Country:

The 2-d explosion is an annoying sci-fi trope. Was really bothered when Lucas added it to the original Death Star explosion.

5. Top | #55
    Contributor
    It is strange how you can hear explosions in space, but what do I know.

In STNG they had sub space beacons, a navigation system. I suppose sub space is like the space beneath a floor in a house. Wires you don't see.

6. Top | #56
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post

The 2-d explosion is an annoying sci-fi trope. Was really bothered when Lucas added it to the original Death Star explosion.
    I always pictured the 2D boom being that the Death Star basically came apart at the trench, a lot of the blast energy came out where the trench was. There had to be something of a weakness there since the thermal exhaust port had a straight line down to the reactor in it's heart--and I can't believe there was only one such port. They just shot at one to avoid splitting their forces.

7. Top | #57
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post

I always pictured the 2D boom being that the Death Star basically came apart at the trench, a lot of the blast energy came out where the trench was. There had to be something of a weakness there since the thermal exhaust port had a straight line down to the reactor in it's heart--and I can't believe there was only one such port. They just shot at one to avoid splitting their forces.
    If you watch the edited Episode 4 I believe you’ll see that the explosion doesn’t line up with the tench.

8. Top | #58
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    My favorite example:

He thought it was a taser?