Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: You find yourself in the cretaceous

1. Top | #1
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts

You find yourself in the cretaceous

You can bring some things with you. No tank. But some small arms, AR -15 or so. Maybe some other things. How would you survive. We’ll make it North America so you have to deal with T. rex.

2. Top | #2
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think the handiest thing to have brought with me would be a time machine like the one that sent me there so I could get the hell out of the Cretaceous.

ETA:
    But then survival in the Cretaceous wouldn't likely be much different than trying to survive in the Amazon jungles or in the jungles of Sumatra. That is except for trying to find edible vegetables since anything you could recognize did not yet exist.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLD View Post
    You can bring some things with you. No tank. But some small arms, AR -15 or so. Maybe some other things. How would you survive. We’ll make it North America so you have to deal with T. rex.

Well, I'd take a dentist, obviously.

Otherwise, the wait time to get an
    appointment would be intolerable.

And MacGyver. I'd definitely take MacGiyver.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Depends on how long you were going to be there. A morning spent as a tourist may only need a day pack of supplies and a big game rifle for protection.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If I go back in time where does all the matter existing then go that at a later time is part of me?

6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Before I went back the first thing I would do is learn to run very, very fast.

Would an AR15 really do much damage?

7. Top | #7
    You're going back to the Cretaceous and all you can think of is what gun to bring? We are very different people...

I don't imagine I'd want much beyond my normal survival kip and my Nikon.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    You're going back to the Cretaceous and all you can think of is what gun to bring? We are very different people...

That's fine, but you how long before something sees you as a quick snack?

9. Top | #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

A noisemaker would not go amiss. But if your plan is to face down a pack of Utahraptors with an AR-15 rifle, I must say I'm a bit dubious about your odds of success anyway. I certainly wouldn't be much benefited, I haven't fired a gun of any kind since I was in college, and my aim was never great. In any case, if the only purpose of this trip back in time is to go hunting, I don't think humans should go back in time to begin with. Haven't we done enough damage in our own millennium without colonizing another one and endangering our own timeline?

Most wild spaces are not as dangerous as people think, or at least not for the reasons people think. Personally, I'd really be more worried about the climate and the microbiome than the macrobiome.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBT View Post

A noisemaker would not go amiss. But if your plan is to face down a pack of Utahraptors with an AR-15 rifle, I must say I'm a bit dubious about your odds of success anyway. I certainly wouldn't be much benefited, I haven't fired a gun of any kind since I was in college, and my aim was never great.

It's not necessarily the plan to 'face down anything.' A noisemaker may or may not be effective.

The reason to take a firearm into an environment where you could be attacked and eaten is precautionary, to give you some means of self defense. An AR15 would be quite effective against small predators such as raptors, rapid rate fire, adequate caliber for raptor size animals, but not so good for larger predators.

Most wild spaces are not as dangerous as people think, or at least not for the reasons people think. Personally, I'd really be more worried about the climate and the microbiome than the macrobiome.
    Isn't better to take precautions even if the risk is moderate? A camera or noisemaker may not a great help in a life or death situation.