Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Several Democrats fighting for tax break for the rich

1. Top | #61
    Quote Originally Posted by J842P View Post
    Heh. In all seriousness, I am no longer shocked at how expensive the city is. I think I'm getting Stockholm syndrome... "only 11 dollars for a burger! What a steal!".
    Funny what you can acclimate to. Because I'm always going back and forth between Bay and Valley for work, I find myself planning a bit strategically about when and where to eat, because everything really is double the price when you cross the coast ranges. It's usually worth it, though. Everything is better in Berkeley or Palo Alto than it is in Modesto or Stockton, and that is just stating a sad fact of life. Never mind San Francisco her glorious self, where, it seems, a curated sampling of all the excellent food in the world has been conveniently collected in two square miles of foodie heaven.

I love food, man.

I will defend Philz coffee here. It can be very expensive if you go for one of their fancy concoctions, but just a plain, small pour-over is under 4 bucks.
    Okay so I think Philz is utterly ridiculous, but mostly because of all the theater they put you through to get your drink. I'm the first to admit they pour a nice brew. Good tea, too, despite the markup; if looking for a chamomile on a late work night out, they used to be my main bitches before the lockdown. This, I miss.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

2. Top | #62
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Heh. In all seriousness, I am no longer shocked at how expensive the city is. I think I'm getting Stockholm syndrome... "only 11 dollars for a burger! What a steal!".
    Funny what you can acclimate to. Because I'm always going back and forth between Bay and Valley for work, I find myself planning a bit strategically about when and where to eat, because everything really is double the price when you cross the coast ranges. It's usually worth it, though. Everything is better in Berkeley or Palo Alto than it is in Modesto or Stockton, and that is just stating a sad fact of life.
    It is funny, because to me the idea of eating out regularly is very foreign. Because I live pretty far from things (for example there is no possibility of any meal being delivered to my house) and because I think eating out is expensive ( $15+ for an entrée!?) I am acclimated to cooking for myself and if I want different ethnicities in my menu, I make it.

We eat out (pre pandemic) on average 5-8 times a year. And half of those are a taco truck at the brew-pub.
    We make breakfast at home, we brew our own coffee at home, we pack a lunch and we cook dinner at home 30 days a month.

Some people might find that intolerable, but - it's funny what you can acclimate to.

3. Top | #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Funny what you can acclimate to. Because I'm always going back and forth between Bay and Valley for work, I find myself planning a bit strategically about when and where to eat, because everything really is double the price when you cross the coast ranges. It's usually worth it, though. Everything is better in Berkeley or Palo Alto than it is in Modesto or Stockton, and that is just stating a sad fact of life.
    It is funny, because to me the idea of eating out regularly is very foreign. Because I live pretty far from things (for example there is no possibility of any meal being delivered to my house) and because I think eating out is expensive ( $15+ for an entrée!?) I am acclimated to cooking for myself and if I want different ethnicities in my menu, I make it.

We eat out (pre pandemic) on average 5-8 times a year. And half of those are a taco truck at the brew-pub.
    We make breakfast at home, we brew our own coffee at home, we pack a lunch and we cook dinner at home 30 days a month.

Some people might find that intolerable, but - it's funny what you can acclimate to.
    Naturally, I do too; I'd quickly go broke trying to eat out every night, even on my dear boyfriend's salary. But as good as my cooking is, I'm no match for a true expert chef! Anyways, it's fun to go out every now and then. I'm not one of these types to piss and moan over the quarantine, but I do miss the occasional night out on the town.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

4. Top | #64
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RVonse View Post
    From what I have seen so far of this thread, the last tax bill was a very sound tax plan targeting the very people most likely to afford to pay the tax. ...

That is what freedom and liberty is all about.
    What?? The last tax bill gave a variety of massive tax cuts to the rich who, I think, were "most likely to afford to pay" tax HIKES instead of CUTS.

I've left in the final sentence of this quote, because this meme is so over-used and meaningless today as to be laughable. (Since the context was moving to Texas, are you sure you don't want to also throw "guns" into the "freedom" word salad?)

5. Top | #65
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post

For people in the high pay tech jobs eating out very well might be a better deal than preparing their own meals.

6. Top | #66
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Don't let demagogues like this get a good shot in, but the DNC earned this shot

7. Top | #67
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    Don't let demagogues like this get a good shot in, but the DNC earned this shot
    “Fortune 500” is too clumsy, IMHO, but i support “all companies whose top management makes more than 50x the lowest wage earner.” Might be the same companies, but would easily exclude all small startups.