Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I guess it is not just sports after all.......

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

So I guess it is not just sports after all.......

"Detransition Baby", one of the books on their longlist, was written by a trans woman.

From the womensprizeforfiction's website:

Why is the Women’s Prize for Fiction only open to women?
    The inspiration was the Booker Prize of 1991 when none of the six shortlisted books was by a woman, despite some 60% of novels published that year being by female authors. A group of women and men working in the industry – authors, publishers, agents, booksellers, librarians, journalists – therefore met to discuss the issue.

Research showed that women’s literary achievements were often not acknowledged by the major literary prizes. The idea for the Women’s Prize for Fiction – previously the Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction and the Orange Prize for Fiction – was born.

Twenty-five years later, the Women’s Prize for Fiction is firmly established, is respected throughout the world and has made a major impact on the literary landscape in the UK and beyond. It also makes a significant difference to the profile and sales of authors shortlisted.

2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So 15 books written by women. 1 book written by a transgender woman. Is there some sort of concern that aspiring male authors will change their gender to win a woman's literary prize?

3. Top | #3
    the baby-eater
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This is fine, provided that trans candidates have undergone hormone-replacement therapy for a few years before writing the short-listed book, otherwise their increased grammatical density, word mass and heavier keypress would confer an unfair literary advantage.

4. Top | #4
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    So 15 books written by women. 1 book written by a transgender woman. Is there some sort of concern that aspiring male authors will change their gender to win a woman's literary prize?
    Of course not. I don't think any trans woman would transition for that reason.

The point is that a female that should have been on that list wasn't because a male took a spot. This was a prize list specifically started to discriminate between male and female writers due to the fact that other lists in the past have prioritized male authors.

It is another example of how the female class (the class that has so often been treated poorly by the male class throughout much of history) is being hurt by those in the male class who want to take on the gender roles traditionally associated with females.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab
    It is another example of how the female class ... is being hurt by those in the male class who want to take on the gender roles traditionally associated with females.

6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Really?

It is another example of how the female class ... is being hurt by those in the male class who want to take on the gender roles traditionally associated with females.
    Ah yes, good old fashioned sex essentialism. Now with an unhealthy dose of "sex role protectionism".

Note, this isn't "vagina awards" this is "women's" awards. Even if I were to accept the asinine claim that trans people are not meaningfully their transitional sex, this is declaring a false synonym between "female" and "woman". Genitals are not gender, and this award is not about that. It is for authors who wrote from the experience of being women.

Looks like Metaphor isn't the only one around here chasing white whales...

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhyn View Post
    Really?

Ah yes, good old fashioned sex essentialism. Now with an unhealthy dose of "sex role protectionism".
    Better than gender essentialism.

You really want to define who is a woman or a man by how well they adhere to a culture's gender roles?

8. Top | #8
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The reason women have been excluded from many literary prizes is that their outward identity - names, pictures - is dismissed and overlooked by the boards who review. A trans woman, no matter how recent or incomplete her transition, will be subject to the same exclusion and therefore would be appropriately included in this award.

9. Top | #9
    Veteran Member

"Detransition Baby", one of the books on their longlist, was written by a trans woman.

From the womensprizeforfiction's website:

Why is the Women’s Prize for Fiction only open to women?
    The inspiration was the Booker Prize of 1991 when none of the six shortlisted books was by a woman, despite some 60% of novels published that year being by female authors. A group of women and men working in the industry – authors, publishers, agents, booksellers, librarians, journalists – therefore met to discuss the issue.

Research showed that women’s literary achievements were often not acknowledged by the major literary prizes. The idea for the Women’s Prize for Fiction – previously the Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction and the Orange Prize for Fiction – was born.

Twenty-five years later, the Women’s Prize for Fiction is firmly established, is respected throughout the world and has made a major impact on the literary landscape in the UK and beyond. It also makes a significant difference to the profile and sales of authors shortlisted.
    I don't understand the point of this OP.
    A private organization decided to award prizes by their own personal standards.
    What's to discuss?

If they think Torrey Peters qualified, oh well.

This has absolutely nothing to do with sports. Am I missing something?
    Tom

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins
    Really?
    Yes, really. Why would you think I was making a false claim? I've never heard of a trans woman transitioning in order to win a literary prize. I can't imagine that would be a reason for the transition.

I don't think the trans woman who wrote this book intended harm. But harm is still being done to the class of females by pretending that a trans woman is a female.