Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces

  1. Top | #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    14

    Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces

    Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

    The prince married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became Queen, and was the longest-serving royal consort in British history.

    The couple had four children, eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

    A statement from Buckingham Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

    "His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle."
    Link

    He died this morning. Unlike when the Queen dies, there is unlikely to be huge ceremony on the lead up to his funeral 10 days from now (though the funeral itself will be ceremonious).

    How it will all happen in Covid is an interesting question, however.

  2. Top | #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    14
    Guardian's obituary is dated 21 Feb by mistake. So evidently they thought the last health issue he had was it.

    Oops

  3. Top | #3
    Mrs Frizzle gmbteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    At home, when I am not at work.
    Posts
    10,813
    Archived
    1,499
    Total Posts
    12,312
    Rep Power
    47
    He served well.

  4. Top | #4
    Mrs Frizzle gmbteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    At home, when I am not at work.
    Posts
    10,813
    Archived
    1,499
    Total Posts
    12,312
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoUK View Post
    Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

    The prince married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became Queen, and was the longest-serving royal consort in British history.

    The couple had four children, eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

    A statement from Buckingham Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

    "His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle."
    Link

    He died this morning. Unlike when the Queen dies, there is unlikely to be huge ceremony on the lead up to his funeral 10 days from now (though the funeral itself will be ceremonious).

    How it will all happen in Covid is an interesting question, however.
    Their vaccination roll out has been quite good though.

  5. Top | #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    14
    Fortunately, the vaccine roll out has been one of the few things my government hasn't been murderously incompetent at.

    On the subject though:

    The coronavirus pandemic will have a major impact on the carefully laid plans for the Duke of Edinburgh’s funeral.

    The duke’s funeral is still expected to be televised and held at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, PA reports, but with Covid restrictions still in place, the public elements of the final farewell to the Queen’s consort will not be able to take place in their original form.

    Under the earlier arrangements for the coming days, codenamed Forth Bridge, thousands of people would have been expected to flock to London and Windsor for a military procession of Philip’s coffin on the day of his funeral.

    Hundreds of members of the armed forces would have been called upon to line the streets in honour of the duke, along with thousands of police officers to keep control of crowds and protect the members of the royal family taking part.

    Organisers are said to be “desperately anxious” not to stage anything that attracts mass gatherings, one source said.

    From the onset of the pandemic, planners have been busy behind the scenes working out a contingency strategy in case the duke died during the coronavirus crisis - a worst-case scenario of major concurrent events - a fear that has come true.

    Preparations are expected to centre on Windsor Castle, without the military procession in London or any processions through Windsor.

    Current rules on funerals in England mean only a maximum of 30 people may attend, and they must socially distance if they do not live together or share a support bubble.

    This means the Queen will have to decide which members of her large family should be invited.

    The monarch, her children and other relatives present may have to wear face coverings and stay two metres away from one another if they are not from the same household.

    It is likely there will be some military involvement to honour the duke’s service to the armed forces. This will most likely be socially distanced and in the confines of Windsor Castle’s grounds.

    World leaders and Commonwealth representatives, as well as foreign royals, former and current politicians and military chiefs would have been among those due to be invited to gather at the funeral, but such arrangements will now be impossible. Much depends on the guidance issued to the Royal Household from the government over the next few days.
    Link

  6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    2,787
    Archived
    4,183
    Total Posts
    6,970
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoUK View Post
    Guardian's obituary is dated 21 Feb by mistake. So evidently they thought the last health issue he had was it.

    Oops
    Obituaries are frequently written in advance, especially for old people, so they can get the news of the death out to the public in a matter of minutes. They just have to remember to update the actual time, date and details of the death before they publish it. Obviously, The Guardian forgot. Or in the case of Bob Hope, one news agency accidentally released his pre-written obituary while he was still alive, but very old and frail. Apparently, he asked his publicist in his usual dry comedic way, "It isn't true, is it?"

  7. Top | #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoUK View Post
    Guardian's obituary is dated 21 Feb by mistake. So evidently they thought the last health issue he had was it.

    Oops
    Obituaries are frequently written in advance, especially for old people, so they can get the news of the death out to the public in a matter of minutes. They just have to remember to update the actual time, date and details of the death before they publish it. Obviously, The Guardian forgot. Or in the case of Bob Hope, one news agency accidentally released his pre-written obituary while he was still alive, but very old and frail. Apparently, he asked his publicist in his usual dry comedic way, "It isn't true, is it?"
    Yes, I'm a (minor) part of Operation Forth Bridge and we've had all the letters/tweets of mourning written up for several years.

  8. Top | #8
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    24,133
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    27,167
    Rep Power
    100


    Too soon?
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

    Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

  9. Top | #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    105
    Rep Power
    14

  10. Top | #10
    Liberal Rastafarian Gospel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    909
    Archived
    138
    Total Posts
    1,047
    Rep Power
    51
    I think I've blasted out 40 gallons of coffee since joining this forum because of ZiprHead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •