Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Bipartisanship: A Modest Proposal

  1. Top | #1
    Squadron Leader
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    1,520
    Rep Power
    16

    Bipartisanship: A Modest Proposal

    My proposal here is serious, and important. I hope fellow TFT'ers will work on the details, make the prose more acceptable, and ask Biden and the D's to follow through.

    Quote Originally Posted by Genesis 18:32-33
    And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten [righteous men] shall be found [in the sinful city of Sodom]. And [the Lord] said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake. And the Lord went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.
    A 60-40 split in the Senate will be much better than the 50-50 split we have now. I propose a Coalition of the Sane: Fifty D's and Ten sane Republican Senators, if they can be found. Some Republican Senators profess to be interested in bipartisanship. I propose that the D's make a serious offer, and challenge the R's to put up or shut up. The goal would NOT be to compromise with Moscow Mitch and other hateful corporate whores, bu tto find just TEN R's with the interests of American people at heart.

    I am NOT asking the ten R's to renounce their "principles." I am only asking them to commit to a statement like the following:
    While obviously the patriot Donald J. Trump would be superior to the semi-Marxist Biden, we are stuck with Biden for four years. He's not really quite as bad as Gore, Obama, Hillary, and the other communists leading the D's. We want to help the majority party to lead our country forward. Our participation may help temper the D agenda, and allow compromise with wholesome Republican values.
    I am NOT asking the ten Republicans to formally caucus with the D's, just to work with the American people instead of against them. Republicans say they are interested in bipartisanship: Can ten R Senators be found for whom this is not just lying tripe?

    We would want the Ten R's to be good-spirited pro-American Senators. (I don't know if we can find that many.) They would be encouraged to submit amendments to Biden's legislation and work towards real compromise. As proof of their loyalty to the Coalition of the Sane, we'd ask the Ten to vote for a new federal Voting Rights Act to undo the cheating in places like Georgia. We'd take their input on the stimulus seriously, provided they made some guarantee they will vote Yea on the relevant roll calls.

    If a few such R's CANNOT be found, the D's can say "We tried; F*** 'em!" This would be the signal that R's only want to obstruct; no further calls for "bipartisanship" would be heeded; and the D's would push on unilaterally, replacing the Senate Parliamentarian if necessary.

  2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    muh-dahy-nuh
    Posts
    3,780
    Archived
    174
    Total Posts
    3,954
    Rep Power
    34
    For years I thought appealing to a politician’s better nature, to act in the best interest of the nation was an obtainable goal. Sandy Hook changed all that for me. Politicians by and large will act in their best interest. Republican conduct immediately after Jan 6 2021 reinforced my opinion. They will act to maintain their position of power.
    Bring back earmarks. Let them bring home the bacon. As wasteful and self-serving as they may (or may not) be, the greater good can be served. This will not only get the ten votes needed, it will loosen M. Mitch’s grip on the party.

  3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member Tigers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    On the wing waiting for a kick.
    Posts
    2,340
    Archived
    2,558
    Total Posts
    4,898
    Rep Power
    60
    If your proposal is serious and important the putting in comments like this
    Ten sane Republican Senators, if they can be found
    suggests it is not too serious nor important.

    Perhaps namely such republicans might be better?
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

  4. Top | #4
    Squadron Leader
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    1,520
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers! View Post
    If your proposal is serious and important the putting in comments like this
    Ten sane Republican Senators, if they can be found
    suggests it is not too serious nor important.
    I wrote
    I hope fellow TFT'ers will ... make the prose more acceptable ...
    Didn't you get that far when you skimmed OP?

    I do NOT know if ten humane and reasonable R senators can be found. I DO think they should be given a chance, but obviously the offer should be extended by someone more appreciative of R virtues than myself.

  5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    4,987
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigers! View Post
    If your proposal is serious and important the putting in comments like this
    Ten sane Republican Senators, if they can be found
    suggests it is not too serious nor important.

    Perhaps namely such republicans might be better?
    I hate to say it, but as a moderate, it's very difficult to find many sane republicans today. For example, the people who supported the Trump insurrection, and wanted to overturn our democracy due to allegations of fraud that were never proven, are insane. They should not be trusted.

  6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    23,835
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    40,388
    Rep Power
    81
    You can't change these mindless servants of wealth.

    They are grown adults that fully know what they are doing.

    They are following their ambition. Not any moral code.

    Morality to them is simply that which advances their career.

    They can't be changed. They can be replaced.

  7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    4,987
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    You can't change these mindless servants of wealth.

    They are grown adults that fully know what they are doing.

    They are following their ambition. Not any moral code.

    Morality to them is simply that which advances their career.

    They can't be changed. They can be replaced.
    The vast majority of Trumpsters are blue collar workers with no more ambition than drinking Bud's on a Friday night while watching Nascar. They aren't seeking wealth.

  8. Top | #8
    Squadron Leader
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Land of Smiles
    Posts
    1,520
    Rep Power
    16
    I still think that a sincere effort should be made to find a few — we don't even need Ten — Republican Senators who are not despicable. Mitt Romney is respected as a human being; will he support the rights of black voters that are being suppressed in Georgia? Collins and Murkowski are the two others who are often thought to be respectable. Let the test be a motion that bills to protect Americans' civil rights not be subject to filibuster. Republicans who refuse to support this can and should be ignored forever after.

    If no Republican Senators stand up and agree to work with the humans, so be it. But a sincere effort to attract such bipartisanship should be made right now. If the effort does fail, then Biden and the D's will be justified in treating any future calls for "bipartisanship" as contemptible hypocrisy.

  9. Top | #9
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Recluse
    Posts
    11,922
    Archived
    9,040
    Total Posts
    20,962
    Rep Power
    97
    I would love to see Republicans stand up.

    But I just have absolutely no faith that they ever will.

    They had a chance in the aftermath of Jan 6th. They had chance after chance after chance when Trump pulled his illegal and unethical shit. They had their chance with Merrick Garland. They had a chance when the John Lewis Voting Rights legislation was first proposed. Democrats have reached out again, and again and again and again.

    Republicans have had so many chances to look at the hand reached out across the aisle, and they have turned their backs, every time.

    You suggest, perhaps, that if we coddle them enough, cajole them enough, entice them enough, then they will have enough safety from Dems providing the front line cover that they will quietly lift their finger in the wind and find it safely blocked by the Dems and allow the Repubs to meekly act as humans?

    I just don't have any faith in them. They have shown me what they would do, I wish they were more honorable, but they just are not.

    Voting rights. Confirmations. Merrick Garland. Unethical behavior. Degradation of communication. Lies that they do not fight. Insurrection. They have shown us that there is no bottom to their barrel, and they will plumb its depths anew. I just do not expect the Republicans are capable of compromise any more. They want it all or they will blow it up. They have shown us that.

  10. Top | #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Ohio, U.S.
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    I would love to see Republicans stand up.

    But I just have absolutely no faith that they ever will.

    They had a chance in the aftermath of Jan 6th. They had chance after chance after chance when Trump pulled his illegal and unethical shit. They had their chance with Merrick Garland. They had a chance when the John Lewis Voting Rights legislation was first proposed. Democrats have reached out again, and again and again and again.

    Republicans have had so many chances to look at the hand reached out across the aisle, and they have turned their backs, every time.

    You suggest, perhaps, that if we coddle them enough, cajole them enough, entice them enough, then they will have enough safety from Dems providing the front line cover that they will quietly lift their finger in the wind and find it safely blocked by the Dems and allow the Repubs to meekly act as humans?

    I just don't have any faith in them. They have shown me what they would do, I wish they were more honorable, but they just are not.

    Voting rights. Confirmations. Merrick Garland. Unethical behavior. Degradation of communication. Lies that they do not fight. Insurrection. They have shown us that there is no bottom to their barrel, and they will plumb its depths anew. I just do not expect the Republicans are capable of compromise any more. They want it all or they will blow it up. They have shown us that.
    Bingo.

    When someone tells you who they are, a hundred times in a row...believe them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •