Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: In space everybody was equal.

  1. Top | #21
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,876
    Rep Power
    21
    What good is sexual freedom if you don't get enough to eat and can't speak freely.

    No sale on the positives of the Soviet System.

    The Chinese CCP on the other hand turned the country around and increased material security. Don't like the Chinese system but it has positives.

    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, sometimes a rocket is just a rocket, and sometimes a rocket is a giant phalls.

    The US and Soviet space programs were about dominance and superiority, primarily military. There was nothing altruistic about either programs.

  2. Top | #22
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,902
    Archived
    4,797
    Total Posts
    9,699
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    At least for a day. Let's celebrate the only day in history the USSR didn't suck.
    Didn't suck? Him getting back alive was more about luck than not sucking.
    That's still true for any space mission
    Most missions have a good chance of bringing the astronauts home safe. Gagarin was riding an extremely dangerous rocket.
    You guys are doing the math wrong. Even if we suppose that rocket was so dangerous Gagarin had only a 10% chance of survival, it still took a heck of a lot more not sucking than luck for him to get back alive. The amount of not sucking it took to get from 0% to 10% dwarfs the amount it took to get from 10% to today's 90+%.

  3. Top | #23
    Contributor DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,258
    Archived
    5,746
    Total Posts
    15,004
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    What good is sexual freedom if you don't get enough to eat and can't speak freely.

    No sale on the positives of the Soviet System.

    The Chinese CCP on the other hand turned the country around and increased material security. Don't like the Chinese system but it has positives.

    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, sometimes a rocket is just a rocket, and sometimes a rocket is a giant phalls.

    The US and Soviet space programs were about dominance and superiority, primarily military. There was nothing altruistic about either programs.
    Sexual freedom? The Soviets had about the same view of homosexuality as Nazi Germany. The entire Eastern Europe, because of socialism, has backward gender roles.

    The only thing they had that was liberal was access to abortions. Otherwise it sucked

  4. Top | #24
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,876
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    What good is sexual freedom if you don't get enough to eat and can't speak freely.

    No sale on the positives of the Soviet System.

    The Chinese CCP on the other hand turned the country around and increased material security. Don't like the Chinese system but it has positives.

    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, sometimes a rocket is just a rocket, and sometimes a rocket is a giant phalls.

    The US and Soviet space programs were about dominance and superiority, primarily military. There was nothing altruistic about either programs.
    Sexual freedom? The Soviets had about the same view of homosexuality as Nazi Germany. The entire Eastern Europe, because of socialism, has backward gender roles.

    The only thing they had that was liberal was access to abortions. Otherwise it sucked
    Wasn't me that called it a Soviet positive.

  5. Top | #25
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,876
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post

    Didn't suck? Him getting back alive was more about luck than not sucking.
    That's still true for any space mission
    Most missions have a good chance of bringing the astronauts home safe. Gagarin was riding an extremely dangerous rocket.
    You guys are doing the math wrong. Even if we suppose that rocket was so dangerous Gagarin had only a 10% chance of survival, it still took a heck of a lot more not sucking than luck for him to get back alive. The amount of not sucking it took to get from 0% to 10% dwarfs the amount it took to get from 10% to today's 90+%.
    That for me summarizes the Soviets. Half assed rushed rickety projects. Sr tep up comrade and rtake one for te country.

    We had our own loses and and near catastrophes. Apollo 13. On the first moon landing the rasio altimeter failed and they were almost out of fuel when they landed.

    The Soviets had a serious fire on thei space station and a serious fungus infestation.

  6. Top | #26
    Contributor DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,258
    Archived
    5,746
    Total Posts
    15,004
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    What good is sexual freedom if you don't get enough to eat and can't speak freely.

    No sale on the positives of the Soviet System.

    The Chinese CCP on the other hand turned the country around and increased material security. Don't like the Chinese system but it has positives.

    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, sometimes a rocket is just a rocket, and sometimes a rocket is a giant phalls.

    The US and Soviet space programs were about dominance and superiority, primarily military. There was nothing altruistic about either programs.
    Sexual freedom? The Soviets had about the same view of homosexuality as Nazi Germany. The entire Eastern Europe, because of socialism, has backward gender roles.

    The only thing they had that was liberal was access to abortions. Otherwise it sucked
    Wasn't me that called it a Soviet positive.
    This entire thread is tongue-in-cheek.

    While the Soviet achievements in space are admirable they did so at a huge cost, without asking first. The fact that USA is a democracy, and that funding NASA in some way is the will of the people, makes that a much more impressive achievement IMHO.

    I do find utopianism fascinating. Both Communist and Nazi imagery and art is awesome in it's absurdity and speed blindness.

  7. Top | #27
    Contributor DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,258
    Archived
    5,746
    Total Posts
    15,004
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post

    That's still true for any space mission
    Most missions have a good chance of bringing the astronauts home safe. Gagarin was riding an extremely dangerous rocket.
    You guys are doing the math wrong. Even if we suppose that rocket was so dangerous Gagarin had only a 10% chance of survival, it still took a heck of a lot more not sucking than luck for him to get back alive. The amount of not sucking it took to get from 0% to 10% dwarfs the amount it took to get from 10% to today's 90+%.
    That for me summarizes the Soviets. Half assed rushed rickety projects. Sr tep up comrade and rtake one for te country.

    We had our own loses and and near catastrophes. Apollo 13. On the first moon landing the rasio altimeter failed and they were almost out of fuel when they landed.

    The Soviets had a serious fire on thei space station and a serious fungus infestation.
    I think every space station ever built, (including ISS) smells disgusting, for a variety of horrid reasons, fungus being one of them. There's just no way to fix it. If we make the environment safe for humans it's safer for the gross stuff.

  8. Top | #28
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Riverside City
    Posts
    4,599
    Archived
    6,289
    Total Posts
    10,888
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    What good is sexual freedom if you don't get enough to eat and can't speak freely.

    No sale on the positives of the Soviet System.

    The Chinese CCP on the other hand turned the country around and increased material security. Don't like the Chinese system but it has positives.

    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, sometimes a rocket is just a rocket, and sometimes a rocket is a giant phalls.

    The US and Soviet space programs were about dominance and superiority, primarily military. There was nothing altruistic about either programs.
    Sexual freedom? The Soviets had about the same view of homosexuality as Nazi Germany.
    In East Germany, homosexual acts between adults 21 and older where legalized in 1957. West Germany? 1969, 12 years later.

    In 1989, East Germany removed that restriction too - the age of consent was lowered to the same age as for heterosexual acts, 14. West Germany still made a difference, 18 vs. 14. After unification, the respective laws were kept on the books, so for the first several years of re-united Germany, homosexuals had more civil rights in the former Eastern states.

    It's not all black and white.

    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homose...ische_Republik (German)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •