Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Daunte Wright shot with Taser. And by "taser," I mean, "Gun."

1. Top | #41
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Once more for the American police.

When stopping people and going to their car the correct order of public interaction is
    1. Ask questions
    2. Shoot

The incorrect order is
    1. Shoot
    2. Ask questions
    NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

2. Top | #42
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    The articles gives more details as to why this sometimes happens. Of course, it should never happen and imo, the officer who confuses a gun with a taser, and kills someone, should be tried for involuntary manslaughter. But again, we have too many incompetent police who kill suspects. I'm being generous when I call them incompetent. Some are just trigger happy.
    Professional athletes make stupid mistakes too. Granted, it doesn't cost anyone their life, but it means the best can screw up. The question is, what should be the expected frequency of such mistakes.

One large issue here is that the chances of an accidental killing likely goes through the roof once weapons are drawn, whether actually needed or not.
    As of 2019, US police were killing 33.5 civilians per 10 million. UK police were killing 0.5 per 10 million. (source)
    89 law enforcement officers were killed in line-of-duty incidents in 2019. Of these, 48 officers died as a result of felonious acts, and 41 officers died in accidents. (source)

I can't find direct comparisons, but that seems to be because THERE IS NO COMPARISON. Posted in August 2019 in the UK:
    PC Harper is the first officer to be killed on duty since March 2017, when unarmed PC Keith Palmer was stabbed by Khalid Masood during the Westminster Bridge terror attack. (source) Bold added.

IOW, US police kill about 70 times as many civilians in the US as in the UK. In turn, US police are ... incalculably (or infinitely) more likely to be killed in the US.

THE CAUSE IS OBVIOUS

This country has been bought and sold by the NRA. The proliferation of guns in America has resulted in total carnage.

3. Top | #43
    They definitely did talk to this person, and then shoot them. So I guess you would say they are making progress?

I don't think you should ever shoot unarmed citizens, personally.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

4. Top | #44
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    With taser surely. Why do you think it's fine for a suspect to resist arrest and dive into his car?
    No but tasers are known to have caused over 1000 deaths. They should not be deployed lightly.

I also think that taking someone into custody during a traffic stop on a busy roadway is not the wisest thing to do. Too many chances for too much to go wrong.

Who are you talking about here? Did he break free as they were in the process of handcuffing him? Somehow I don't think so.
    How soon they forget! I was talking about the 21 year old who killed 8 people at multiple locations in Georgia just a few weeks ago.

In any case, there are cases of questionable shootings of suspects of all races. In Georgia a few years ago a white teenager was shot dead because he answered his door with a wii controller that the cop mistook for a gun. And most people of all races get arrested without harm.
    I remember the poor kid who was killed. I don't remember what happened to the officer who killed him. Yes, most people who are arrested are arrested without physical harm. But too many unarmed people are killed by police who should not be police officers.

The big difference is all the violence that results when a black suspects gets shot.
    Another big difference is how often black people are followed, profiled, arrested and shot for simply existing.

A gross-misdemeanor, but not non-violent. And not knowing which case you had in mind, it's difficult for me to comment on it.
    What are you talking about? Owning a firearm is an American right! Don't you know the constitution? Do you hate the NRA and America? They only want to register guns so they can come take them away!

(yeah, before you ask: sarcasm)

5. Top | #45
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Most of these shootings looks the same. Suspect appears to be reluctantly cooperating, but then decides to break free and shooting happens.
    What is the point of trying to flee? You are already on the video, even if you are successful police will get you sooner or later.

6. Top | #46
    Veteran Member
    If we buy the story that the cop confused the gun for a taser, and it's an honest 'oops' mistake, shouldn't the opposite be true as well?

I did a quick search and didn't find that to be the case. Someone with better google skills (or really dedicated to bootlicking maybe) can go look for it.

So at least 9 cases where cops claim they pulled a gun instead of a taser, but none where they accidentally went for the taser when trying to draw a gun.

"mistake" my lily white ass.

7. Top | #47
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The bottom of this article has a picture of the gun & the taser. I don't think a reasonable person could mistake the two.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...217924280.html

8. Top | #48
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    What is the point of trying to flee? You are already on the video, even if you are successful police will get you sooner or later.
    What is the point of shooting? The suspect is already on the video, even if he is successful you will get him sooner or later.

9. Top | #49
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    What is the point of shooting? The suspect is already on the video, even if he is successful you will get him sooner or later.
    One could argue that an unarmed, fleeing suspect should never be shot at with any weapon. That should be the training. But the counterpoint will say that then criminals will always get away because the cops will never be able to apprehend them.

10. Top | #50
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    To prevent being shot by idiot-suspect.