daʼjiyání?
    t’éí áhodilʼį́įnii, iatsa

2. Top | #102
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    Lack of training scenarios putting the officer under pressure, I would think.
    She was likely suffering tunnel vision due to an adrenaline rush. She could not focus on what was in her hand but only on the suspect.
    We don't focus on common tools, we just use them. She has no doubt trained with both taser and gun enough that both feel normal to her.
    Normally we do focus on common tools while we are using them. Just ask my miter saw and these thumbs I still have to tell you how wrong you are. My main point of focus may be the cut but I am also mindful of the trigger in the handle and that the wood is squared and that I have my safety glasses on.
    Now then, ever hear of someone on a gun firing range forgetting to take the safety off or not chambering a round or not realizing the slide is in the back position? It’s because they are inexperienced or anxious and just focused on the target and not the tool in their hand.

During an adrenaline rush we lose that focus, our situational awareness, and focus (tunnel) on what is just in front of us. If Officer Potter was experiencing an adrenaline rush and I suspect she was, she could not think through whether she had her gun or taser in her hand. Her brain was in fight mode with the suspect.
    Law enforcement trains in such scenarios. Is it just during initial training? Is there ongoing training? I don’t know. If all Officer Potter had in her 26 years working with this same police department was in her initial training, then her police department failed her. Further, this is why I wonder what experiences she has had in her 26 years. How many crisis situations has she been involved in? She may have little experience in pushing through an adrenaline rush, getting her prefrontal cortex that has been hijacked by her amygdala operating again.

3. Top | #103
    Archived
    Total Posts
    For years, my Company organized, sponsored and produced some of the damn scariest multi-day "scenario training" exercises imaginable, involving metro police, National Guard, US Marshalls, Federal Law Enforcement Training Center personnel, FBI, State patrols ... the gamut of hardened LE personnel. MANY of these seasoned law enforcement people totally broke down. Tears and panic were common, even though they knew it was "just a drill" and they were in fact in no danger other than from their own overworked metabolisms. It's hard not to freak out when you are (for instance) stuck in a corridor having to treat massive trauma while surrounded by bloody bodies, live fire sounds, screaming victims, blinded by "smoke" (artificial and harmless of course), with no idea where the shooter or shooters might be ... there's no fucking way I would put myself through that kind of "training". I doubt that this MN police officer ever did either.
    Certainly, the threat level presented by Mr. Wright wasn't on that level of inducing panic, but it is hard for me not to feel for her. Especially so, after she knew to resign and is exhibiting remorse despite knowing that doing so will probably exacerbate the repercussions to which she will be subjected.
    It's a goddam sad situation all around.

4. Top | #104
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Maybe she just had a bad day.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

5. Top | #105
    Veteran Member

6. Top | #106
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    Maybe she just had a bad day.
    I don’t think so. That was probably a representative sample.

Some people say there are two kinds of people who can truly perform unaffected by pressures; sociopaths and professionals. 26 years in, this behavior reflects a staggering but unsurprising level of dysfunction.

7. Top | #107
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoAmmo View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/us/br...ing/index.html

(CNN)A 20-year-old man was fatally shot during a traffic stop after a Minnesota police officer shouted "Taser!" but fired a handgun instead, Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said.

Daunte Wright was driving with his girlfriend Sunday afternoon when he was pulled over in the Minneapolis suburb.
    Earlier, police said they tried to take the driver into custody after learning during a traffic stop that he had an outstanding warrant. The man got back into his vehicle, and an officer shot him, police said. They said the man drove several blocks before striking another vehicle.
    Bodycam video released by the police chief Monday provided more details about what happened.
    Wright got out of his car, but then got back in. It's not clear why, but the police chief told reporters it appeared from the video that Wright was trying to leave.

An officer is then heard shouting, "Taser! Taser! Taser!" but then fires a gun -- not a Taser -- at Wright.
    "Holy sh*t!" the officer screams. "I shot him."
    The police chief said the shooting appeared to be "an accidental discharge that resulted in the tragic death of Mr. Wright."
    Gannon offered his "deepest sympathies" to Wright's family and vowed continued transparency.
    It's easy to get all those doo-dads mixed up, I guess. Guns, tasers, flashlights, handcuffs. It's a wonder more cops don't draw down on a guy and then realize, "Oh, what the--this is Chapstick, not my service revolver."

Time to start blaming the victim in 3, 2, 1...
    Nobody's going to mistake chapstick for a gun. The thing is the taser functions very much like a gun and a cop likely carries both. They probably practice with the gun more than they do with the taser so that memory path will be stronger. Unfortunately, I see no good answer to this. In a quickly developing situation I do not believe humans can be trained not to ever make the mistake.
    AND THIS IS THE PROBLEM, ISN'T IT. (among many).

8. Top | #108
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Playball40 View Post

Nobody's going to mistake chapstick for a gun. The thing is the taser functions very much like a gun and a cop likely carries both. They probably practice with the gun more than they do with the taser so that memory path will be stronger. Unfortunately, I see no good answer to this. In a quickly developing situation I do not believe humans can be trained not to ever make the mistake.
    I can see a really easy solution to this: train more on drawing and using the taser. Train on taser more than you train on gun. In fact, remove the guns from traffic enforcement altogether, and you will see accidental shootings like this equal zero, because it's really hard to shoot someone when you don't have a gun to shoot them with.

9. Top | #109
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Playball40 View Post

Is it though? We know of this instance because the media is hyping the story. How common is it for a cop to mistake the two? Probably quite rare.

10. Top | #110
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The former police officer who shot Daunte Wright has just been charged with 2nd degree manslaughter. I'm watching the news on TV, so right now I don't have a link.

I've also read about the claim that Wright's outstanding warrant was for assault, but I'm not sure that's true. I was looking for information on a news site that wouldn't be considered far right or far left and I found something a bit puzzling.

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-...arrant-1583535

The Facts
    No warrants were issued for Wright in the aggravated robbery case, according to court records.

The warrant was related to a separate case—27-CR-21-4400—in which Wright was charged with carrying a pistol without a permit and fleeing a peace officer.

A notice for a hearing in that case on April 2 was uploaded on March 4. No returned mail was listed in that case.
    Read the link. Apparently, the warrant was sent to the wrong address, but regardless of what Wright might have done in the past, he shouldn't have been killed by a police officer. This is fucked up.