Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Daunte Wright shot with Taser. And by "taser," I mean, "Gun."

1. Top | #1

Daunte Wright shot with Taser. And by "taser," I mean, "Gun."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/us/br...ing/index.html

(CNN)A 20-year-old man was fatally shot during a traffic stop after a Minnesota police officer shouted "Taser!" but fired a handgun instead, Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said.

Daunte Wright was driving with his girlfriend Sunday afternoon when he was pulled over in the Minneapolis suburb.
    Earlier, police said they tried to take the driver into custody after learning during a traffic stop that he had an outstanding warrant. The man got back into his vehicle, and an officer shot him, police said. They said the man drove several blocks before striking another vehicle.
    Bodycam video released by the police chief Monday provided more details about what happened.
    Wright got out of his car, but then got back in. It's not clear why, but the police chief told reporters it appeared from the video that Wright was trying to leave.

An officer is then heard shouting, "Taser! Taser! Taser!" but then fires a gun -- not a Taser -- at Wright.
    "Holy sh*t!" the officer screams. "I shot him."
    The police chief said the shooting appeared to be "an accidental discharge that resulted in the tragic death of Mr. Wright."
    Gannon offered his "deepest sympathies" to Wright's family and vowed continued transparency.
    It's easy to get all those doo-dads mixed up, I guess. Guns, tasers, flashlights, handcuffs. It's a wonder more cops don't draw down on a guy and then realize, "Oh, what the--this is Chapstick, not my service revolver."

Time to start blaming the victim in 3, 2, 1...

2. Top | #2
    Very similar to the circumstances of Robert Bates' death five years ago, and Oscar Grant in 2009.

If I'm trying to tase someone, and accidentally murder them instead, do I get off with a slap on the wrist and the fervent support of a third of America?

(Also, I'm no gun expert, but is the process of preparing a gun to fire and that of preparing a taser for use really so similar that they can be easily confused? If so, can we change this?)
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoAmmo View Post
    Well he did have a warrant for a gun charge. And another pending charge for aggravated robbery.
    He broke free from the officer who tried to handcuff him. Had he not done that he'd be in jail, but alive.
    The cop made a deadly mistake, yes, but she would not have pulled her weapon at all had he not resisted.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Very similar to the circumstances of Robert Bates' death five years ago, and Oscar Grant in 2009.
    Yes, indeed. Law of large numbers. If the probability of mixing those things up is 1:1,000,000 there are probably enough instances of officers firing their tasers every year that you would expect a deadly mix-up to happen, purely by chance, every few years even without the cop in question being incompetent or poorly trained. Btw, Robert Bates was not a trained officer, so he should be bracketed out or asterisked.

If I'm trying to tase someone, and accidentally murder them instead, do I get off with a slap on the wrist and the fervent support of a third of America?
    It would not be murder; more like involunatry manslaughter. And the officer who accidentally shot Grant was convicted and served two years, hardly a "slap on the wrist".

(Also, I'm no gun expert, but is the process of preparing a gun to fire and that of preparing a taser for use really so similar that they can be easily confused? If so, can we change this?)
    No expert either, but they both appear to be point and click interfaces.

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Beretta 92FSs and Glock 17s (the two most likely type of pistols used by law enforcement) have safeties very different than a taser. So either the officer carried the firearm around in an unsafe manner, or their first instinct in any situation is to go for their firearm and this was a lazy excuse. Either scenario should lead to a suspension and retraining as a minimum.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sam Hyde predicted this three weeks ago

Only the shitlords of this board will enjoy this starting at 3:55

7. Top | #7
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoAmmo View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/us/br...ing/index.html

(CNN)A 20-year-old man was fatally shot during a traffic stop after a Minnesota police officer shouted "Taser!" but fired a handgun instead, Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon said.

Daunte Wright was driving with his girlfriend Sunday afternoon when he was pulled over in the Minneapolis suburb.
    Earlier, police said they tried to take the driver into custody after learning during a traffic stop that he had an outstanding warrant. The man got back into his vehicle, and an officer shot him, police said. They said the man drove several blocks before striking another vehicle.
    Bodycam video released by the police chief Monday provided more details about what happened.
    Wright got out of his car, but then got back in. It's not clear why, but the police chief told reporters it appeared from the video that Wright was trying to leave.

An officer is then heard shouting, "Taser! Taser! Taser!" but then fires a gun -- not a Taser -- at Wright.
    "Holy sh*t!" the officer screams. "I shot him."
    The police chief said the shooting appeared to be "an accidental discharge that resulted in the tragic death of Mr. Wright."
    Gannon offered his "deepest sympathies" to Wright's family and vowed continued transparency.
    It's easy to get all those doo-dads mixed up, I guess. Guns, tasers, flashlights, handcuffs. It's a wonder more cops don't draw down on a guy and then realize, "Oh, what the--this is Chapstick, not my service revolver."

Nobody's going to mistake chapstick for a gun. The thing is the taser functions very much like a gun and a cop likely carries both. They probably practice with the gun more than they do with the taser so that memory path will be stronger. Unfortunately, I see no good answer to this. In a quickly developing situation I do not believe humans can be trained not to ever make the mistake.

8. Top | #8
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Starting to consolidate my replies from other threads into this one.

Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Again, without the stop, no matter how much sophistry and dumbness you wish to put forth, it would not have happened.
    You are the one engaging in "sophistry and dumbness" as the same can be said for any of the myriad events in the causal chain - him deciding to take his car for a wash, him not renewing his tag on time, him getting car from his moms, etc.

And what's your point anyway? It is the job of the police to enforce the laws, including traffic laws. Do you think they should ignore expired tags or only when the driver is black?

Which should put to rest your "maybe going for his gun" crapola.
    "Going for his gun" was still a clear and present danger, given that he had a warrant for illegal gun possession. Also, the media is using the photos of Duante with his kid, and never the photos of Duante with his gun. That's media bias for you!

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Starting to consolidate my replies from other threads into this one.

Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Again, without the stop, no matter how much sophistry and dumbness you wish to put forth, it would not have happened.
    You are the one engaging in "sophistry and dumbness" as the same can be said for any of the myriad events in the causal chain - him deciding to take his car for a wash, him not renewing his tag on time, him getting car from his moms, etc.

And what's your point anyway? It is the job of the police to enforce the laws, including traffic laws. Do you think they should ignore expired tags or only when the driver is black?

Which should put to rest your "maybe going for his gun" crapola.
    "Going for his gun" was still a clear and present danger, given that he had a warrant for illegal gun possession. Also, the media is using the photos of Duante with his kid, and never the photos of Duante with his gun. That's media bias for you!
    Not laughing dog but I think that when cops pull people over for traffic violations, they shouldn't kill them.

Personally, I've been pulled over a number of times, usually for exceeding the speed limit. Fortunately for me, I tend to look like the white lady next door and the worst I've gotten is a warning. Nobody tried to haul me out of my car, or pointed a weapon at me or even spoke harshly to me.

10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    "So I reached for the taser, drew the taser, pointed the taser and pulled the trigger on the taser, only it turned out not to be the taser, but the gun"

Thank God she didn't decide to become an auto mechanic or a plumber or something like that, where such a mistake could have caused property damage.
    Right, Derec?
    People make mistakes. There is a difference between making a mistake and deliberately destroying and stealing property. Something you defend as long as it is done by your side (the far left).