Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Daunte Wright shot with Taser. And by "taser," I mean, "Gun."

1. Top | #21
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Not laughing dog but I think that when cops pull people over for traffic violations, they shouldn't kill them.
    Ideally, no. But millions of traffic stops get conducted every year in the US, and only a very small fraction results in deadly force.
    In this case you had a stop for expired tag (not air freshner[sic]!). But the young adult had a warrant for a gun, so he was getting arrested. Instead of letting the officer handcuff him, he resisted and dove into the car. So far, the bad choices are all on him. He had plenty of opportunity to get out of this alive and unharmed.

You will never be able to completely eliminate the possibility of cops making mistakes. But if you don't act as a dumbass, as this young adult did, your chances of getting shot during a traffic stop are infinitesimal.

Personally, I've been pulled over a number of times, usually for exceeding the speed limit. Fortunately for me, I tend to look like the white lady next door and the worst I've gotten is a warning. Nobody tried to haul me out of my car, or pointed a weapon at me or even spoke harshly to me.
    Maybe that's because you did not have warrants for your arrest for things like illegal guns and open charges for things like aggravated robbery.
    Are you suggesting the officers should not have told him to get out of the car and that they should not have tried to arrest him?
    I'm suggesting that there was nothing that he did that warranted being shot with a gun or a taser.

Compare and contrast: A young white man, only a few years older, drives to several locations where he shoots and kills multiple persons, in an unprovoked attack. The police arrest him WHILE HE IS STILL ARMED AND THE POLICE KNOW HE HAS KILLED MULTIPLE PEOPLE and some how the police take him into custody and speak with him gently enough to get his explanation for what he did and why.

VS

Police pull over a young black guy who has a warrant out and shoot him with a taser that turns out to be a gun and kill him.

The police in the first scenario had a far, far, far better reason to be concerned for their safety and for public safety in the first scenario.

So, apparently your thinking is that known armed mass murderers who are white are far less a threat than an unarmed black guy with a warrant for a non-violent offense that is, under Minnesota law, a gross misdemeanor.

2. Top | #22
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    Lack of training scenarios putting the officer under pressure, I would think.
    She was likely suffering tunnel vision due to an adrenaline rush. She could not focus on what was in her hand but only on the suspect.
    I agree that she was suffering tunnel vision and that she was focusing only on the suspect. Who was black. And yeah: black is what I think 'distracted' her and captured her entire focus.

Maybe they do need to practice a lot more training scenarios with young black men as 'suspects' and the person they are pulling over for a traffic violation.
    Rather dangerous for the volunteer "suspect", don't you think?
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

3. Top | #23
    Archived
    Total Posts
    She was likely suffering tunnel vision due to an adrenaline rush. She could not focus on what was in her hand but only on the suspect.
    I agree that she was suffering tunnel vision and that she was focusing only on the suspect. Who was black. And yeah: black is what I think 'distracted' her and captured her entire focus.

Maybe they do need to practice a lot more training scenarios with young black men as 'suspects' and the person they are pulling over for a traffic violation.
    She had a boyfriend named Duante and this traffic stopped triggered all those bad memories. Makes as much sense.

4. Top | #24
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post

Rather dangerous for the volunteer "suspect", don't you think?
    Ah, I wasn't thinking actual people involved.

Maybe they could just be fellow white officers in blackface?

5. Top | #25
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    So, I've put this out there few times today that in 2007, I managed to get into a room in a room clearance drill with my rifle entirely backwards: forward pistol grip instead of stock, magazine instead of pistol grip, pistol grip instead of magazine, in the course of a quarter second. Weird shit can happen on adrenaline.

There needs to be an investigation, the officer needs to have a grand jury, and they need to hear arguments for Negligent Homicide and Manslaughter, all the same.

6. Top | #26
    Veteran Member
    Thoughts and prayers, especially for the cop, who probably regrets his action.

I hope the gun grabbers and cop haters will stifle their rants for at least a week after this incident, to allow the victim(s) and their families time to grieve.

7. Top | #27
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm suggesting that there was nothing that he did that warranted being shot with a gun or a taser.
    With taser surely. Why do you think it's fine for a suspect to resist arrest and dive into his car?

Compare and contrast: A young white man, only a few years older, drives to several locations where he shoots and kills multiple persons, in an unprovoked attack. The police arrest him WHILE HE IS STILL ARMED AND THE POLICE KNOW HE HAS KILLED MULTIPLE PEOPLE and some how the police take him into custody and speak with him gently enough to get his explanation for what he did and why.
    Who are you talking about here? Did he break free as they were in the process of handcuffing him? Somehow I don't think so.

In any case, there are cases of questionable shootings of suspects of all races. In Georgia a few years ago a white teenager was shot dead because he answered his door with a wii controller that the cop mistook for a gun. And most people of all races get arrested without harm.

The big difference is all the violence that results when a black suspects gets shot.

So, apparently your thinking is that known armed mass murderers who are white are far less a threat than an unarmed black guy with a warrant for a non-violent offense that is, under Minnesota law, a gross misdemeanor.
    A gross-misdemeanor, but not non-violent. And not knowing which case you had in mind, it's difficult for me to comment on it.

8. Top | #28
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    Her.

9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Defending people protesting police abuse and murder is not defending everything they do.
    Except Elixir is continuously dismissing "property damage" as a valid concern.

It is just saying they have a just cause. A real cause because of a real problem.
    They do not have a real cause to riot and loot.

10. Top | #30
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    Her.
    I did not know Amber Guyger was reinstated.