Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Daunte Wright shot with Taser. And by "taser," I mean, "Gun."

1. Top | #51
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post
    What is the point of trying to flee? You are already on the video, even if you are successful police will get you sooner or later.
    What is the point of shooting? The suspect is already on the video, even if he is successful you will get him sooner or later.
    One could argue that an unarmed, fleeing suspect should never be shot at with any weapon. That should be the training. But the counterpoint will say that then criminals will always get away because the cops will never be able to apprehend them.
    Like they do in England?

2. Top | #52
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    What do you mean "nope"? You are demonstrably wrong. The causal chain does not start with the traffic stop.
    Nope means "no". So, nope.
    1. Try to get informed. The dude was stopped in the middle of the day.
    2. Stopping people for expired registration is a legit stop. It has nothing to do with "profiling".
    So it was either a slow day on patrol or someone was racial profiling. You are sadly mistaken if you think the police stop everyone they see with expired registration tags.

She was concerned enough to go for the taser.
    So you think tasers are the police-response to someone going for a fire arm?

No satisfaction, and pointing out who a shootee really was as opposed to media hagiographies is not "smearing".
    You are not fooling anyone. The victim's pedigree is immaterial to the actual incident, especially in the case. Yet you never miss a chance to "correct the record" of a black shooting victim. Sorry, your response does not pass the smell taste.

3. Top | #53
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elixir View Post
    What is the point of shooting? The suspect is already on the video, even if he is successful you will get him sooner or later.
    To prevent being shot by idiot-suspect.
    ...the suspect who is running away? Ya sure. Is that how we do it in Russia? I doubt it.
    Of course in Russia (and almost everywhere else in the world) there aren't more guns than people.
    In MAGA USA there are about 60 million more guns than there are people, so yeah - might as well start shooting before someone else does, right?

4. Top | #54
    Most of these shootings looks the same. Suspect appears to be reluctantly cooperating, but then decides to break free and shooting happens.
    What is the point of trying to flee? You are already on the video, even if you are successful police will get you sooner or later.
    Oscar Grant was on the ground, face down..
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

5. Top | #55
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Most of these shootings looks the same. Suspect appears to be reluctantly cooperating, but then decides to break free and shooting happens.
    Oscar Grant was on the ground, face down..
    Good point. Derek Chauvin could have saved himself 9 minutes and 28 seconds.
    Oh well. Live and learn.

6. Top | #56
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrell View Post
    The bottom of this article has a picture of the gun & the taser. I don't think a reasonable person could mistake the two.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...217924280.html

The hard part of believing it was a mistake (it still could be a mistake), is that presumably they are aiming the weapon. While there is tunnel vision potential, isn't the top of the weapon part of the vision for the whole aiming thing? The only way to get around that is to say you just reacted... meaning you aren't thinking, just acting, but well enough to hit the target.

7. Top | #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    The bottom of this article has a picture of the gun & the taser. I don't think a reasonable person could mistake the two.

The hard part of believing it was a mistake (it still could be a mistake), is that presumably they are aiming the weapon. While there is tunnel vision potential, isn't the top of the weapon part of the vision for the whole aiming thing? The only way to get around that is to say you just reacted... meaning you aren't thinking, just acting, but well enough to hit the target.
    "Reacting, not thinking" is not what police are paid to do.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

8. Top | #58
    Archived
    Total Posts

And that "only way to get around" should still at a minimum lead to her complete removal from the force (benefits and all) & payout to the victim or surviving family. Keeping someone like that on the force is a liability and counter to public safety.

9. Top | #59
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel View Post

And that "only way to get around" should still at a minimum lead to her complete removal from the force (benefits and all) & payout to the victim or surviving family. Keeping someone like that on the force is a liability and counter to public safety.
    That, too, is reactionary.

I agree that she should be investigated and this should potentially lead to charges; someone is dead after all.

The part where I disagree is that the person is the source of the liability rather than training and instruction. What this tells me, clearly, is that firing drills entirely neglect nonlethal options, and fail to incorporate tool selectivity.

Which is to say, they only train to draw guns; it is apparent she lacked a few necessary days of training where she has to draw what she is told to draw precisely

10. Top | #60
    Veteran Member
    Contrary to right-wing liars, law enforcement is a relative safe occupation! Lumbering tops the list of dangerous jobs with 111 annual fatalities per 100k. This is followed by aircraft pilots, derrick operators, roofers, then garbage collectors(!) at 34 per 100k. Iron workers, delivery drivers, farmers, firefighting supervisors, power linemen, agriculture workers, crossing guards, crane operators, construction helpers, and landscaping supervisors round out the Top Fifteen. Police officers rank #22 with 14 fatalities per 100k, ahead of construction workers at 13, but behind small-engine mechanics at 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoAmmo View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/12/us/br...ing/index.html

An officer is then heard shouting, "Taser! Taser! Taser!" but then fires a gun -- not a Taser -- at Wright.
    "Holy sh*t!" the officer screams. "I shot him."
    It's easy to get all those doo-dads mixed up, I guess. Guns, tasers, flashlights, handcuffs. It's a wonder more cops don't draw down on a guy and then realize, "Oh, what the--this is Chapstick, not my service revolver."

Time to start blaming the victim in 3, 2, 1...
    Unfortunately, I see no good answer to this. In a quickly developing situation I do not believe humans can be trained not to ever make the mistake.
    Uh... How about if cops stop playing the Coward Card, and keep their lethal weapon secure? A few snaps or buttons would give the cop time to consider before taking a human life.

What's that? This guy, whose offense was probably missing a court date for illegal left turn, might be Quicko McDraw, and take the cop's life just for fun? Haaah! Right-wing idiots think we live in a fantasy version of the wild west.

One cop, called to a house for some minor matter, pulled his gun and shot at the homeowner's barking dog! He missed and shot a human toddler. Another cop, at an accident site, evidently feared a small prairie dog that was crossing the road, so he shot at it.

American police forces are full of hateful bullies, and angry fearful cowards. They're trained as though every day is going to be Shootout at the OK Corral. These insanities are the underlying problems.