Thread: 'Nother School Shooting, blah blah, unknown number of victims, blah blah, too early to know death toll, blah blah

1. Top | #1
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

Angry 'Nother School Shooting, blah blah, unknown number of victims, blah blah, too early to know death toll, blah blah

Knoxville is reporting that authorities are at a high school, another shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by article
    There are multiple gunshot victims reported, KPD said in a tweet on Monday, including one of their officers.
    It is early, but usually at this point, it isn't bad to be prepared to hear that there are dead people in the school. The text above implies deaths passively.

Blah, blah, thoughts and prayers, blah blah, too early to consideration action, blah, blah. Teens die for liberty all the time, it is completely natural. Mental health is the real concern! (unless black or Muslim)

Hopefully this is one of those quaint, back country 1 or 2 dead at the school house scenarios, instead of one of those obese double digit death tolls.

2. Top | #2
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I am so sad to hear this. Again.

3. Top | #3
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Update sounds like the only fatality was the one with the gun.

Officers found the individual in the school's restroom, and they ordered him out. He refused and after he fired shots, at least one officer returned fire, Rausch said.
    The gunman, who was identified as a student at the school, died at the scene, Rausch said. Authorities said they are not releasing the student's name at this time.

A Knoxville officer was hit at least one time and taken to UT Medical Center, police said. Initially, authorities said the officer had non-life threatening injuries. But in the news conference late Monday, Knoxville Police Chief Eve Thomas said the injured officer is in surgery and listed in serious condition.
    "This wasn't a school shooting, this was an officer-involved shooting inside of a school, much different. At this point, the student hadn't done anything with the firearm until the officers engaged," Rausch said. "It's important to make that distinction."

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member TV and credit cards's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Was that your gun, dad? And how does that make you feel? Was it readily available to protect your family?

High school students should start wearing a dog tag attached to their shoe lace in protest.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Update sounds like the only fatality was the one with the gun.

Officers found the individual in the school's restroom, and they ordered him out. He refused and after he fired shots, at least one officer returned fire, Rausch said.
    The gunman, who was identified as a student at the school, died at the scene, Rausch said. Authorities said they are not releasing the student's name at this time.

A Knoxville officer was hit at least one time and taken to UT Medical Center, police said. Initially, authorities said the officer had non-life threatening injuries. But in the news conference late Monday, Knoxville Police Chief Eve Thomas said the injured officer is in surgery and listed in serious condition.
    "This wasn't a school shooting, this was an officer-involved shooting inside of a school, much different. At this point, the student hadn't done anything with the firearm until the officers engaged," Rausch said. "It's important to make that distinction."
    OK, I know NOTHING about this shooting aside from what Rhea has brought here but:
    "This wasn't a school shooting, this was an officer-involved shooting inside of a school, much different. At this point, the student hadn't done anything with the firearm until the officers engaged," makes it sound almost as though having an officer in the building was a poor decision.

Probably not. Probably the officer was called because the kid was behaving in a way that suggested he would fire his weapon at people.

But still, that statement does draw a line between presence of police officer and a shooting death (of the suspect, of course, so it's cool.)

6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think the message is saying that students weren't targeted by an assailant. I doubt students in the school will take too much comfort in that.

Taking a loaded gun into school is a bad idea. Whether the police force could have handled it better is unknown.

It is disturbingly comforting that only one person was killed.

7. Top | #7
    Veteran Member
    I was watching a short clip from a news source on site at the time, and apparently, there were two shooting happening around the same time (the second was nearby, but not on school grounds).

Guess we should all be glad murka is getting back to normal.

8. Top | #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    I think the message is saying that students weren't targeted by an assailant. I doubt students in the school will take too much comfort in that.

Taking a loaded gun into school is a bad idea. Whether the police force could have handled it better is unknown.

Not to me. No one should be dying, and the death of a child is a particular tragedy. While he was responsible for his own death, and perhaps meant to be responsible for other's deaths, there is no comfort here.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post

Not to me. No one should be dying, and the death of a child is a particular tragedy. While he was responsible for his own death, and perhaps meant to be responsible for other's deaths, there is no comfort here.
    I agree with both of you.

I am grateful no one else was killed. Somehow, that does not lessen the grief or the sense of tragedy that this person died, whether or not he (I assume) was responsible for his own death or to what degree, including not at all.