Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: If Gods are Real, Where are They?

1. Top | #1
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts

If Gods are Real, Where are They?

The ancients didn't even know what the sun was, or the Moon. Their "planets" were just stars that wandered, they didn't know that these were bodies similar to Earth. So it's understandable that they thought about gods the same way, as things they didn't fully understand. Their gods lived in the sky, the firmament, or above, on mountaintops, in the oceans, rivers, forests, etc. There aren't any gods in any of those places, we know that.

So where are all those gods today? Are they still just "up in the sky?" Is that all? Are they just spooky and invisible?

Where are the gods today?

2. Top | #2
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think they keep moving farther into the universe as man's pesky snooping powers increase. They're a private bunch and they don't like being watched. I mean, look how they handled the Tower of Babel.
    On earth, they're still around as the names of certain candy bars, days of the week, and some Mexican boys.
    I assume they don't return Pat Robertson's calls.

3. Top | #3
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T.G.G. Moogly View Post
    Where are the gods today?
    Where they've always been.
    They live in volcanoes, and one day Pele will wake up and wipe these puny humans off her planet.

4. Top | #4
    Do you mean modern polytheists? For the most part, they still see the gods as dwelling in those same geographical spaces. You could physically climb Mt. Olympus in 500 BCE as easily as you can now, physical inaccessibility was never the only reason why sacred places were regarded as sacred.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

5. Top | #5
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I might point out that it's possible to both definitely "be real" and also not have an existence or presence or observability with the context of a subordinate universe.

That said, I have extreme doubts as to whether there is any such God(s) short of having an arbitrary width callback into GodSpace and GodTime.

6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I think gods are a way of depicting a world that's not devoid of mind. Apparently the ancient Greeks didn't have the same "in here" and "out there" duality that moderns have. So not everything that is alleged in today's world to happen "in the head" was registered as in the head.

You can see a blurring of the lines of inner and outer in Homer, when he describes a hero gone berserk and killing a lot of people heroically. Homer calls it a god fighting alongside the mortals. But if you're not being hyper-literal in the reading, it comes across that the god is a man who stands out from the other mortals for being apparently possessed by a supra-human energy. I think the same valuing of everything "bigger than what is normal for humans" as "the work of the gods" or "the gods" is basically what's happening in polytheism.

Wherever they saw suprahuman power and/or intention, it seemed human-like. And so you get anthropomorphic images of the inhuman powers in nature presented as "gods".

7. Top | #7
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Do you mean modern polytheists? For the most part, they still see the gods as dwelling in those same geographical spaces. You could physically climb Mt. Olympus in 500 BCE as easily as you can now, physical inaccessibility was never the only reason why sacred places were regarded as sacred.
    Maybe it was climbed but there is no record. Attempts were made in the 1800s but the first successful, recorded climb occurred in 1913. So I think it is entirely possible that it was never summitted in ancient times. I've personally been much higher many times. From what I've read it is climbed by thousands every year but most don't go to the summit where Zeus's throne was.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm not sure if this is an old idea though it is at least as old as Futurama....

It is from the A God without compelling evidence? thread in this forum....

A little essay about it:

If we are in a simulation there would be one or more intelligent forces that created it and they (or other beings) might intervene from time to time.

Sometimes they might like players to be aware that they are intervening but not want this to be obvious so that the connection is more mysterious. The intelligent force could be playing “hide and seek” with the players.

Like “God” in a Futurama episode says, "When you [God] do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all”.
    I think the intelligent force only intervenes in a way that skeptics could explain as involving coincidence, delusion, hallucinations, or fraud.

Though there are hints that our world could involve a simulation and an intervening intelligence, modern supernatural skeptics feel justified in their belief that the world is purely mechanistic and physical.

This way a belief in paranormal intervention is more about personal faith and reasoning rather than involving any type of scientific consensus. Though it remains possible that there can be paranormal intervention in a simulation.

Then there is the possibility that the Bible was guided by an intelligent force. It could be a test of the character of its readers - from the all-or-nothing thinking of fundamentalists and many atheists, to people who believe much of the Bible isn't historical while still believing in some kind of God.
    To answer the OP - the "gods" would have an existence outside of our possible simulation but could also intervene possibly by controlling people (see Morty playing "Roy" though he forgets his true identity)
    Last edited by excreationist; 04-14-2021 at 05:47 AM.

9. Top | #9
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    To answer the OP - the "gods" would have an existence outside of our possible simulation but could also intervene possibly by controlling people
    hmm, puzzling
    is the function of any simulation to gain insight into the real system?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation
    Simulation is also used when the real system cannot be engaged, because it may not be accessible, or it may be dangerous or unacceptable to engage, or it is being designed but not yet built, or it may simply not exist

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by none View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    To answer the OP - the "gods" would have an existence outside of our possible simulation but could also intervene possibly by controlling people
    hmm, puzzling
    is the function of any simulation to gain insight into the real system?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation
    Simulation is also used when the real system cannot be engaged, because it may not be accessible, or it may be dangerous or unacceptable to engage, or it is being designed but not yet built, or it may simply not exist
    Well gaining insight is the case in the "Hang the DJ" episode in Black Mirror where a couple are simulated 1000 times to test for compatibility.... but I think possible simulations like our world would mainly be for entertainment and personal growth.
    Morty playing "Roy" where he forgets his identity is similar to this talk by Alan Watts: