Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If Gods are Real, Where are They?

1. Top | #11
    Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by none View Post
    hmm, puzzling
    is the function of any simulation to gain insight into the real system?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation
    Well gaining insight is the case in the "Hang the DJ" episode in Black Mirror where a couple are simulated 1000 times to test for compatibility.... but I think possible simulations like our world would mainly be for entertainment and personal growth.
    Morty playing "Roy" where he forgets his identity is similar to this talk by Alan Watts:

unfortunately our not... I'm not interested in your reply at this time.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Sorry I didn't understand.... did you mean "unfortunately your not" in a simulation? Or "unfortunately or not"?

3. Top | #13
    Suspended
    Sorry I didn't understand.... did you mean "unfortunately your not" in a simulation? Or "unfortunately or not"?
    "or"

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    "or"
    I see... though I think it was relevant to the topic of "gods".....

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    They don't come to Earth because they're terrified of us. They've seen us become more powerful than they and they fear us.

Eldarion Lathria

6. Top | #16
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarion Lathria View Post
    They don't come to Earth because they're terrified of us. They've seen us become more powerful than they and they fear us.
    Also, we tend to steal their apples, even when they've clearly told us that these are their apples and they don't want us taking them. There was someone at my old office who used to do that with yogurt and it was really annoying. I can understand why they wouldn't want to be involved with us when we do things like that.

7. Top | #17
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarion Lathria View Post
    Also, we tend to steal their apples, even when they've clearly told us that these are their apples and they don't want us taking them. There was someone at my old office who used to do that with yogurt and it was really annoying. I can understand why they wouldn't want to be involved with us when we do things like that.
    Obviously their relationship with us is identical to our relationship with them. In their moments of terror they pray to us or ask our forgiveness.

Are their any religions that practice this kind of thinking?

Maybe in their version of an afterlife their hell is to be condemned to live as humans. That would explain a lot.

8. Top | #18
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Again, I will point to the situation wherein we will, at some point, create whole universes of thinking people, assuming we have not already.

When we step into those worlds, there may be billions of people and zero, one, and many/infinity are the general access limits. Infinity is quite a lot, and we don't see that, so my money is in the neighborhood of zero to one, and when this human who would be god walks in a world, he walks as flesh and blood, barely different from anyone else in it.

Maybe they're keeping a low profile. Most of our stories about powerful beings coming to the world end badly for the beings, or badly for the world, and sometimes both. To that end it seems wise to take the "head down" route.

9. Top | #19
    Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    As a naturalist, my god is indeed real.

What is the point of having an imaginary one?

Your god is real as well, if you can follow the thinking that follows, about us all.

I have yet to proof this but what the hell.

----------

Believer or not, your epitome of desire, is to be named the Greatest I am.

Religions are tribes. So are the various non-believing tribes.

Tribal leaders and shaman are the ones to be emulated by all of us so that we might become better than they are and depose them.

It’s like Jesus ascending and retiring God by taking the righthand judges’ seat. Jesus, in effect; deposed his father. As things should be in a hierarchical progressive species like ours.

Leaders and shaman are the only ones who can claim being Greatest I am at any given point in time.

Religiously speaking, we want to and are encouraged by scriptures to try to emulate whatever we think of as God. God’s best-known speaker is analogically, Greatest I am.

Individually speaking, even you were born, instinctively speaking; thinking you were the fittest of your genetic line. In that sense, your ultimate raison d'être and dream, even if you can come up with some other analogy in religious terms; is you want to be known as the greatest at something, including God.

Upon birth, your first thought was, I am.

Your second thought was, where is the Greatest I am so that I might be his friend, and depose him with better justice?

Who are the fittest you are now to compete with, to prove your fitness, is your next enlightenment.

This is all of us seeking idols to emulate and depose the current icon in our chosen competitions.

Jesus asks us to idolize ourselves, loosely of course, by asking us in scriptures, “have ye forgotten that ye are Gods?”

I have not given up my spiritual, religious, or political efforts to be seen as the greatest at something.

I am not Jesus, but I am curious. Have you given up on your religious birth rite to be a god?

That would disappoint Jesus.

Have you given up your genetic birth rite to be the fittest and excel in some field?

That would disappoint your ancestors. They came from nature and nature demonstrably creates for the best possible end.

I see it as a shame when someone stops competing to be the greatest at something.

Regards
    DL

10. Top | #20
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Are you going to just post this same glop in every thread?
    It's nonsense.