Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 127

Thread: If Gods are Real, Where are They?

  1. Top | #31
    Senior Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Gods are like birds chirping in a dense forest. You walk towards the sound but then it is somewhere else..
    God does not exclude the death.

    He finds another way of communicating.

    I speak of the spark of life that is god in you.

    You look and do not see the forest for the trees.

    Not all religionists are brain dead believers in the supernatural.

    You try to box us all together.

    Regards
    DL

  2. Top | #32
    Senior Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post

    Even in nature, those birds act in mysterious ways.




    Just curious to how you summed it up by those logical lines? Wondering if you accounted for those gods (gods for argument sake) could still be real whilst at the same time making and creating that 'environment' - making it happen, i.e. so that it becomes the requirement to believe... because they may see it, just as you do, they don't want to take the fun out of it?

    If Santa were real we'd all get coal in our Christmas stockings.

    Toga party at Gnostic's place next Saturday.
    No issues with me with either of the above.
    Our friend would ruin it.

    Regards
    DL

  3. Top | #33
    Senior Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post


    I don’t need to be known as the “best” at anything.
    I am quite delighted and happy to be simply known as kind, and to be good enough at things to enjoy doing the things I do.

    In my life’s experience, the people I’ve know who needed to be “the best” at something, were mostly toxic narcissists. Whom I now avoid as a smart person would avoid the plague.

    I enjoy my mediocre garden, and I come in last in running races, my house is modest, and my work is exemplary, but not the best.

    I am quit blissfully content.
    Thanks for this.

    I offered my sympathy to those like you in the O.P.

    Regards
    DL
    A: You didn’t write the OP
    B: Tell me why you would “offer sympathy” to someone telling you they are very happy?
    A. True. I was thinking of my initial statements in post 19 that ended with.

    "Have you given up your genetic birth rite to be the fittest and excel in some field?

    That would disappoint your ancestors. They came from nature and nature demonstrably creates for the best possible end.


    I see it as a shame when someone stops competing to be the greatest at something."


    B. I do not see where you use the word happy.

    Blissful and content may be components, but I would put love way before contentment and bliss.

    Blissful and content are gifts to ourselves. Love is what we give others. The former warms within, the latter warms hearts without.

    Regards
    DL

  4. Top | #34
    Senior Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Perhaps you meant post #19

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    I see it as a shame when someone stops competing to be the greatest at something.

    Regards
    DL
    Perhaps that is because you like feeling like you’re a failure if you’re not the best.
    Perhaps you like making yourself abandon something fun and lovely because you’re not the best.
    If your marriage is not “the best,” perhaps you talk yourself into leaving it.
    If your children are not “the best,” perhaps you shun them and tell them they are disappointments.
    If you are not the best at painting, you never paint again.
    Perhaps if you are not the best musician, you chop up your piano for firewood.

    And you see it as “a shame” that I love my children so very much - exactly as they are.
    You see it as a shame that I spend a day creating a watercolor painting that is very fun to do, but not something I would hang up.
    You see it as a shame that I train for and run a half marathon that I cannot win, training in a beautiful countryside and finishing last to cheers and high fives.
    You see it as a shame for a family to go disc-golfing together, when they are all terrible at it, laughing together at all our bad throws.

    So much judgment, so little heart. I’ll turn and walk away from that negativity.
    Not mine, given that those are your thoughts that you think exist in my head.

    Did you understand, at all, what I put in my starting statement?

    Have you stopped evolving?

    Seems not, given that someone blissfully content and should be cooperating, is competing by putting foolishness into my head, as if they were already there.

    I think you have more negativity issues than I.

    Certainly poorer reading comprehension.

    Regards
    DL

    P.S. I am the best at what I do.

  5. Top | #35
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    1,442
    Archived
    2,799
    Total Posts
    4,241
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Gods are like birds chirping in a dense forest. You walk towards the sound but then it is somewhere else..
    God does not exclude the death.

    He finds another way of communicating.

    I speak of the spark of life that is god in you.

    What does any of this mean? There is more to communication than stringing words together, trying desperately to sound profound, and failing utterly in the process. Stop preaching and start listening and responding.

  6. Top | #36
    Senior Member Gnostic Christian Bishop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by atrib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Gods are like birds chirping in a dense forest. You walk towards the sound but then it is somewhere else..
    God does not exclude the death.

    He finds another way of communicating.

    I speak of the spark of life that is god in you.

    What does any of this mean? There is more to communication than stringing words together, trying desperately to sound profound, and failing utterly in the process. Stop preaching and start listening and responding.
    It means that I cannot spell.

    I wrote death when wanting to write deaf. My bad.

    He finds a way, --- means that reality finds a way to even have the deaf to have an idea of reality.

    I was basically blowing off an idiot, and it backfired.

    Regards
    DL

  7. Top | #37
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    7,411
    Rep Power
    23
    Gnostic reminds me of undermenche. The responses are all short staccato declarative statements.

  8. Top | #38
    Veteran Member funinspace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,033
    Archived
    10,245
    Total Posts
    14,278
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post

    A: You didn’t write the OP
    B: Tell me why you would “offer sympathy” to someone telling you they are very happy?
    <snip>

    B. I do not see where you use the word happy.

    Blissful and content may be components, but I would put love way before contentment and bliss.

    Blissful and content are gifts to ourselves. Love is what we give others. The former warms within, the latter warms hearts without.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    I think you have more negativity issues than I.

    Certainly poorer reading comprehension.
    LOL....really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    I don’t need to be known as the “best” at anything.
    I am quite delighted and happy to be simply known as kind..........
    Then you go splitting hairs, on the meaning of various words to try and tear Rhea down...but hey, she has negativity issues...



    Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic Christian Bishop View Post
    P.S. I am the best at what I do.
    Yeah, Fuck Face von Clownstick says the same kind of thing...

  9. Top | #39
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    5,088
    Rep Power
    33
    I've always thought that this question was the most damaging aspect against God: that he dosn't make himself heard. Only an evil entity would design a system where people could only avoid the torture of hell if they follow the odd/contradicting/confusing/metaphoric/strange writings from people 2,000 years ago!

  10. Top | #40
    Formerly Joedad
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    7,853
    Archived
    5,039
    Total Posts
    12,892
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    I've always thought that this question was the most damaging aspect against God: that he dosn't make himself heard. Only an evil entity would design a system where people could only avoid the torture of hell if they follow the odd/contradicting/confusing/metaphoric/strange writings from people 2,000 years ago!
    That's probably the correct answer, that the gods are just the stories. Unlike other objects in stories that have an actual physical presence outside the story, without the stories about gods there aren't actually any gods, and never have been.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •