Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: The Rise of the "Nones"

  1. Top | #11
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,854
    Rep Power
    21
    People who give up organized religion but wsnt that religious feeling sounds kike the Unitarians. I looked at a local web site, it looks like all you need is a general belief in god. Someone told me atheists are allowed to join.

    Sunday school for kids, services and singing.

    7 Up marketed itself as the 'un cola'. The Unitarians are the un-church.

  2. Top | #12
    Industrial Grade Linguist Copernicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    2,685
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    People who give up organized religion but wsnt that religious feeling sounds kike the Unitarians. I looked at a local web site, it looks like all you need is a general belief in god. Someone told me atheists are allowed to join.

    Sunday school for kids, services and singing.

    7 Up marketed itself as the 'un cola'. The Unitarians are the un-church.
    Some of my atheist friends belong to Unitarian churches. We've used their facilities for book club meetings. It's a friendly place for humanitarians to gather, but too churchy for me. It's good for those who enjoy religious traditions without the religious trappings.

  3. Top | #13
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,854
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    People who give up organized religion but wsnt that religious feeling sounds kike the Unitarians. I looked at a local web site, it looks like all you need is a general belief in god. Someone told me atheists are allowed to join.

    Sunday school for kids, services and singing.

    7 Up marketed itself as the 'un cola'. The Unitarians are the un-church.
    Some of my atheist friends belong to Unitarian churches. We've used their facilities for book club meetings. It's a friendly place for humanitarians to gather, but too churchy for me. It's good for those who enjoy religious traditions without the religious trappings.
    I am not knocking t. Just an observation. An expression of the need to identify with a tribe.

  4. Top | #14
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    5,306
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    9,168
    Rep Power
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    People who give up organized religion but wsnt that religious feeling sounds kike the Unitarians. I looked at a local web site, it looks like all you need is a general belief in god. Someone told me atheists are allowed to join.

    Sunday school for kids, services and singing.

    7 Up marketed itself as the 'un cola'. The Unitarians are the un-church.
    Some of my atheist friends belong to Unitarian churches. We've used their facilities for book club meetings. It's a friendly place for humanitarians to gather, but too churchy for me. It's good for those who enjoy religious traditions without the religious trappings.
    I am not knocking t. Just an observation. An expression of the need to identify with a tribe.
    I'm not sure I'd call the UUs a tribe, unless you consider every organization that includes people who want to engage in doing positive works for their community, a tribe. UU s are very diverse and in fact, atheists are very welcome to become UUs. Each fellowship is different. I wouldn't probably enjoy one that lacked diversity of thought, belief, race, etc. But, I've known of at least one that was extremely diverse and not very churchy. To me, that's not really a tribe, unless maybe you consider TFT a tribe. If so, then I guess you can call any group of friends a tribe. Regardless, humans do tend to need socialization and friends, so UU fellowships can provide the need for that, I would assume.

    The atheist or Freethought groups that I have been a member of over the last 20 years have been hard to keep together. I guess we just aren't good at maintaining tribes. The word doesn't offend me, but my friends aren't from one group. They are fairly diverse in many ways.

  5. Top | #15
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,854
    Rep Power
    21
    I see all social groups as tribal. A catch all phrase. Certainly politics.

    I do not think there is any difference across 'tribes'. I am sure the UU has its internal politics, hierarchy, pecking order, and prejudices. It may not be as well defined as say politics, but it will be there.

  6. Top | #16
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    5,306
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    9,168
    Rep Power
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I see all social groups as tribal. A catch all phrase. Certainly politics.

    I do not think there is any difference across 'tribes'. I am sure the UU has its internal politics, hierarchy, pecking order, and prejudices. It may not be as well defined as say politics, but it will be there.
    However you want to define a word, it up to you, even if I disagree.

  7. Top | #17
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,854
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I see all social groups as tribal. A catch all phrase. Certainly politics.

    I do not think there is any difference across 'tribes'. I am sure the UU has its internal politics, hierarchy, pecking order, and prejudices. It may not be as well defined as say politics, but it will be there.
    However you want to define a word, it up to you, even if I disagree.
    Huh? I am speaking plain English.

  8. Top | #18
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    5,306
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    9,168
    Rep Power
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I see all social groups as tribal. A catch all phrase. Certainly politics.

    I do not think there is any difference across 'tribes'. I am sure the UU has its internal politics, hierarchy, pecking order, and prejudices. It may not be as well defined as say politics, but it will be there.
    However you want to define a word, it up to you, even if I disagree.
    Huh? I am speaking plain English.
    My point was that there are at least 10 or 12 different dictionary definitions of the word tribe, so you can pick and choose one and then try to use it to fit in with your personal view of things. It's really not worth a lengthy discussion, but I don't personally see a group of people who may have af few things in common and who socialize now and then, as a tribe.

  9. Top | #19
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    6,854
    Rep Power
    21
    It is not that contextual and IMO should be obvious in light of the discussion. Tribal has current meaning being used to describe our rising factionalism.

    Tribalism socially means an identity and protection of the tribal identity. Maintenance of rituals and tribal norms. In the USA white supremacists, blacks, Chinese Jews, Italians, and Irish. I just walked through China town here in Seattle to buy fruits and vegetables. Chinese dress, language, and signs.

  10. Top | #20
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    6,170
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    It is not that contextual and IMO should be obvious in light of the discussion. Tribal has current meaning being used to describe our rising factionalism.

    Tribalism socially means an identity and protection of the tribal identity. Maintenance of rituals and tribal norms. In the USA white supremacists, blacks, Chinese Jews, Italians, and Irish. I just walked through China town here in Seattle to buy fruits and vegetables. Chinese dress, language, and signs.
    An incredibly offensive term, if you ask me. Calls up completely inaccurate imperialist portrayals of traditional societies. If what you mean is that people are displaying factionalism, why not just say so without needlessly dragging tribal societies through the mud?
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •