Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jesus and the demon possessed child

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skepticalbip View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    "Demonic possession" is relatively rare in modern times, I think. (How common is Tourette syndrome, although that's probably not the same thing?)

Yer such "possession" might have been more common in Jesus' time, given his fame curing several(?) cases. THAT is the particular point I was trying to address: Is there evidence that such (auditory hallucinations? schizophrenia?) was more common in Jesus' time?
    Maybe not in Portland.

https://apnews.com/article/portland-...ea3e9a8fc21384

Exorcism: Increasingly frequent, including after US protests
    We just try to not look the Exorcists in the eyes...

2. Top | #12
    Veteran Member Lumpenproletariat's Avatar
    ^ Why don't I get any pretty jewels? Waaaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swammerdami View Post
    "Demonic possession" is relatively rare in modern times, I think.
    No, it's simply mental illness, which has always been common and is today. There are many forms. We've all seen crazy people on the streets. Maybe in some cases they are imagining something, but in other cases they are vocalizing and gesturing erratically, so that the crazy element is their own strange behavior, not something they see or hear that isn't really there.

The "demon possession" incidents must have been cases of something real which was happening -- probably some "crazy" people just like today. That's the best explanation.

(How common is Tourette syndrome, although that's probably not the same thing?)

Yer such "possession" might have been more common in Jesus' time, given his fame curing several(?) cases.
    More likely it was the same as today -- crazy people -- and if Jesus were here today he would cure them. There are no other reported cures in ancient times (by other "exorcists"), as there would be if it was simply a case of some strange illness peculiar to that time.

THAT is the particular point I was trying to address: Is there evidence that such (auditory hallucinations? schizophrenia?) was more common in Jesus' time?
    It wasn't necessarily auditory hallucinations.

I'm guessing that the conditions he healed have been equally common throughout history and up to today.