Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Office

1. Top | #11
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Since I am still classed as a student (I did a game design subject last year) I can get Office 365 for free. BTW you can also use Office in a web browser for free. I only tried Open Office very briefly a while ago and I didn't think it looked as attractive as Office.

2. Top | #12
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I used it many years ago with a vendor that was trying to avoid MS. Then, about a year ago I also installed it on my computer where I am trying to avoid registrations and ads and other crap...and spending money...really annoying.

My observation is it works fairly well. It crashes sometimes and so I do saves a lot to make up for it. When I want to send files to someone, I can usually get away with merely changing the file extension and it will work for them in MS Office. This tactic only failed for me once when I sent a very complex open office doc with images and other things inside the doc and with file extension changed. As a workaround, I copied and pasted the document in parts into an email to send to them instead.

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    You can save your docs as Word docs within OpenOffice iirc.

I do have the MS Office subscription mainly because it comes with 1T of storage.

4. Top | #14
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    Since I am still classed as a student (I did a game design subject last year) I can get Office 365 for free. BTW you can also use Office in a web browser for free. I only tried Open Office very briefly a while ago and I didn't think it looked as attractive as Office.
    Office looks great. Good luck finding stuff, but it looks awesome!

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Lately I noticed that some sites are selling keys to MS Office for about $30.... my sister wanted to get a cheap version of MS Office and I suggested those sites though I said it was like a grey market. Then I looked into the process and sometimes it involves downloading it from non-Microsoft sites. Then I looked into OpenOffice... it is currently from Apache (which I like) and it says that it is able to open MS Office files quite reliably though there can be problems opening OpenOffice files in MS Office.

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I am comfortable with google Docs, even without using cloud. Office online requires more sign ins. All linux distributions use libre-office. So, it is always there.
    I wish there was just a simple polished word-processor rather than suits.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Anybody using Open Office instead of MS Office? It is free.

So far it does everything that MS would do for me. Macros using their Basic seems a little quirky. Not all the spread sheet math functions work in a macro without a little coaxing. Good enough for plotting equations.

It comes with Python.

The data base has a simple wizard that creates the table and a query-entry form.
    Google docs killed it for me

8. Top | #18
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    Lately I noticed that some sites are selling keys to MS Office for about $30.... my sister wanted to get a cheap version of MS Office and I suggested those sites though I said it was like a grey market. Then I looked into the process and sometimes it involves downloading it from non-Microsoft sites. Then I looked into OpenOffice... it is currently from Apache (which I like) and it says that it is able to open MS Office files quite reliably though there can be problems opening OpenOffice files in MS Office.
    Those are improper use of volume licenses and sometimes get shut down by Microsoft.