Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The World is Stupid

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

The World is Stupid

Over 450 past Jeopardy contestants call on show to address alleged 'white power' symbol

On Tuesday's episode, Donohue made a hand gesture during his on-camera introduction that he later said on social media signified the number three, as he was the three-day champion. In his previous episodes, he gestured with one finger and two fingers in accordance with the number of games he'd won.
    The open letter calls on Donohue to publicly apologize "for the ramifications of the gesture he made" and disavow "any connection to white supremacist doctrines," and urges the show to "address Kelly's behavior" and take measures to ensure that "future mistakes of this magnitude never make it on air."
    When I was boy it was the religious fundamentalists who screeched of devil and end-time sightings in their demon-haunted world. The Woke's demon-haunted world is no different. And no less stupid.

2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Biden is cancelling meat!

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Yep. Reminds me of Jerry Falwell and his minions back in the '90's seeing all kinds of gay dogwhistles in the Teletubbies kids' show. Only now its the loony left who's doing it.

4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Okay, but can we at least agree that Jeopardy contestants should refrain from using ethnic slurs?

5. Top | #5
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    Okay, but can we at least agree that Jeopardy contestants should refrain from using ethnic slurs?

“What is niggardly?”

6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Or "what is a black hole?"

7. Top | #7
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The letter went on to note that, when similar situations have occurred in the past, the production team on the show has corrected things before the episode aired. “On more than one occasion, contestants have made gestures during their introductions that were seen as undesirable for broadcast and were asked by the production team to reshoot the footage without the gesture,” the letter said. “A couple of years ago, a contestant unintentionally wagered a monetary amount that used numerical values coopted by white supremacist groups and, since the total didn’t affect the outcome of the game, ‘Jeopardy!’ digitally altered the numbers in the version that aired. This should have been done in this case.”
    His (second) apology helps to clear the issue, though. The unequivocal condemnation in his (second) apology is important.

Kelly Donohue
    on Thursday
    I’m truly horrified with what has been posted about me on social media. I absolutely, unequivocally condemn white supremacy and racism of any kind. People who know me personally know that I am not a racist, but for the public at large it bears repeating: I am not a racist and I reject and condemn white supremacy and all forms of bigotry for the evil they are. It’s shameful to me to think anyone would try to use the stage of Jeopardy! to advance or promote such a disgusting agenda. During the taping of my fourth episode, I was simply raising three fingers to mark my 3rd win. There was nothing more I was trying to indicate.

I deeply regret this terrible misunderstanding. I never meant to hurt a soul and I assure you I am no friend of racists or white supremacists.

I removed the previous post because the comments were more than I could bear. I stand by the statement itself and you can find it reported in other media. I did, however, understand the fair criticism that I did not include a forceful condemnation of white supremacy in my initial statement. I hope my feelings on that matter are clear now.

8. Top | #8
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Still, his claim that he was "just counting to three," is, um... not entirely convincing.

His unequivocal apology may be an admission that jeopardy is more important to him than his WP buddies.
    Which, that's good, I guess. Whatever it takes to hit rock bottom.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea View Post
    Still, his claim that he was "just counting to three," is, um... not entirely convincing.

You probably also see Jesus in toast.

10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Let me get this straight, we have
    1) President Trump received over 74 million votes in 2020,
    2) a riot in DC by thousands of people who think the election was stolen, and
    3) people believing QANON claims about Democrat pedophiles,

but it takes about 450 people to complain about a gesture on a game show to indicate the world is stupid?