Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Facebook Upholds Trump Ban

  1. Top | #11
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    24,708
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    27,742
    Rep Power
    100
    In nod to Trump, Florida is set to ban 'deplatforming' by tech companies
    Facebook, Twitter and YouTube could be fined for banning political candidates under a bill passed by Florida's Legislature. Critics say it's unconstitutional.


    Florida is on track to be the first state in the nation to punish social media companies that ban politicians like former President Donald Trump under a bill approved Thursday by the state's Republican-led Legislature.

    Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican and close Trump ally who called for the bill’s passage, is expected to sign the legislation into law, but the proposal appears destined to be challenged in court after a tech industry trade group called it a violation of the First Amendment speech rights of corporations.

    Republicans have been barraging Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and other tech companies for booting Trump and other conservatives from their platforms after violations of the companies’ rules, including bans on the promotion of violence related to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

    Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

  2. Top | #12
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    2,695
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel View Post
    What's really impressive is he not only manage to get himself banned from all the major social media platforms he got every known advocacy group banned as well. He even managed to get a platform banned from a platform. Amazing!
    visit http://www.donaldwhipsitout.com

  3. Top | #13
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    31,283
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    73,756
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    In nod to Trump, Florida is set to ban 'deplatforming' by tech companies
    Facebook, Twitter and YouTube could be fined for banning political candidates under a bill passed by Florida's Legislature. Critics say it's unconstitutional.


    Florida is on track to be the first state in the nation to punish social media companies that ban politicians like former President Donald Trump under a bill approved Thursday by the state's Republican-led Legislature.

    Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican and close Trump ally who called for the bill’s passage, is expected to sign the legislation into law, but the proposal appears destined to be challenged in court after a tech industry trade group called it a violation of the First Amendment speech rights of corporations.

    Republicans have been barraging Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and other tech companies for booting Trump and other conservatives from their platforms after violations of the companies’ rules, including bans on the promotion of violence related to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.
    Finally, we are just two steps away from all of us getting unbanned at BaptistBoard!

    Meanwhile, Trump wouldn't fall under this law as he wasn't banned for political speech. He was banned for urging an insurrection, then urging one on that was happening.

  4. Top | #14
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    23,346
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    39,899
    Rep Power
    81
    Also banned for spreading the same lies that led to the anger in the deluded fools that carried out the treason that day.

    The lies prepared the way for the incitement that occurred immediately before the act of insurrection.

    Some of the insurrection was planned by people Roger Stone was hanging out with that morning and already taking place as Trump spoke.

  5. Top | #15
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Georgia, US
    Posts
    5,289
    Archived
    3,862
    Total Posts
    9,151
    Rep Power
    83
    It's kind of sad that idiots like DeSantis don't understand what the 1st amendment means and that it has nothing to do with limiting speech by private companies. The government hasn't limited Trump's speech, despite how much he lies, or despite how hateful he often is. But, the government does put some limits on free speech. Free speech doesn't mean that you can threaten other people with harm. Free speech doesn't give you the right to incite violence. Are these Republicans really this stupid or do they just think their sycophants are stupid enough to believe whatever they are fed?

  6. Top | #16
    Content Thief Elixir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mountains
    Posts
    16,785
    Archived
    707
    Total Posts
    17,492
    Rep Power
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by southernhybrid View Post
    Are these Republicans really this stupid or do they just think their sycophants are stupid enough to believe whatever they are fed?
    Yes to both, but mostly the second part. They really do think their suckers will believe whatever they are told.
    It is kind of sad. The saddest thing is that they may be right, which we don't really know yet.
    I have a feeling their sycophants may be a bit illusory though.
    They're so much louder and attention-seeking than anyone else, it's possible that they are even fewer in number than Trump's epic 7 million vote loss would indicate. If the disgust that many people felt with Trump in November 2020 has bled downticket in the meanwhile, anything could happen in 2022 - it could be a real reckoning.
    The will of the people vs. Republican State Legislatures' voter suppression efforts - possible The Final Chapter if the right takes back Congress.

  7. Top | #17
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Port Clinton, Ohio
    Posts
    4,282
    Archived
    591
    Total Posts
    4,873
    Rep Power
    71
    I think they've created a base that's so crazy that even the Repub legislators who have Ivy League credentials have to play as crazy as the voters. Look at the startlingly corrupt Lindsey Graham, that oiliest of men, who will say anything the crazies want to hear, even if what he's saying is the precise opposite of what he was saying in the long-ago days of 2015.
    Our one hope -- and it may be a pretty good one -- is that the right has made itself so incestuous and made their delirious circle dance one in which you must keep a death grip on your fellow zany's hand, so that they will never break higher than the mid-40s in election percents. Also, they're aging out in demographics and will soon (in about one generation) lose their Caucasian majority for good. Then again, it could all come down to one charismatic pol who can put a new face on the Trumpian turd.

  8. Top | #18
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    24,708
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    27,742
    Rep Power
    100
    I say only let Trump back on the platform if he admits he lost the election fair and square. If he starts telling lies again, ban him again, permanently.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

    Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

  9. Top | #19
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,746
    Archived
    229
    Total Posts
    3,975
    Rep Power
    70
    Trump's response:

    "What Facebook, Twitter, and Google have done is a total disgrace and an embarrassment to our Country. These corrupt social media companies must pay a political price, and must never again be allowed to destroy and decimate our Electoral Process."
    Nope, doesn't sound fascistic at all. Can someone remind me how it's the intolerant left who are all about cancel culture and hate free speech?

  10. Top | #20
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    2,904
    Archived
    4,109
    Total Posts
    7,013
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by none View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel View Post
    What's really impressive is he not only manage to get himself banned from all the major social media platforms he got every known advocacy group banned as well. He even managed to get a platform banned from a platform. Amazing!
    visit http://www.donaldwhipsitout.com
    Site doesn't work.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •