Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with my Kmart watches?

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

What's up with my Kmart watches?

When I was in the mental ward in early 2019 I wondered what the animating patterns on my cheap Kmart watch meant. I didn't get around to recording it until today.

I also had an identical watch but it was black and orange rather than gray and green. Eventually both of the bands on those watches cracked and broke so I got another cheap Kmart watch... (which had a 6x6 grid)

Well it looks like when the seconds ends in an 8, all of the grid is filled. I think the other digits (0-7 and 9) have a consistent pattern in the grid. But is there any meaning or pattern to the 6x6 grid? Or is it meaningless?

In the first watch all 5 segments are filled when the seconds ends in 8 or 0... I think the other digits also give a consistent pattern.

I was surprised that I managed to finally crack it... (partially)

I thought this would unnecessarily increase the costs of the watches... they should have spent more on the bands.

Another technology related story from an earlier mental ward visit:

https://lifesplayer.com/instagram.php#inferno
    Several years ago I was admitted into a mental ward and found an old magazine - IEEE Internet Computing from March - April 1997. The back cover had an interesting ad involving revolutionary technology....

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In both watches when setting the time, the special area flashes twice per second with the regular pattern (e.g. filled when the last seconds digit is 8)

In both watches when the stop watch is running the special area is filled but parts of it are flashing very rapidly.

It looks like they had the same designer (or plan) even though they were released years apart....

Kmart has another similar watch for sale... the last digit of the seconds doesn't seem to be valid - perhaps that is why the grid is different to my recent watch....

3. Top | #3
    ebay has some nice boring watches.

4. Top | #4
    Local group: Solar system: Earth: NA: US: contiguous states westernmost - IOW here
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That's almost E.G. Boring.

5. Top | #5
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Looks like the predator counting down to self destruct.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

6. Top | #6
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I eventually found my old black and orange watch (in another room, after praying to "God"). It had the same patterns as the green and gray one.

0 - 11111 (same as 8)
    1 - 01100 (same as 4)
    2 - 11011
    3 - 11110 (same as 9)
    4 - 01100 (same as 1)
    5 - 10110
    6 - 10111
    7 - 11100
    8 - 11111 (same as 0)
    9 - 11110 (same as 3)

There are 32 possible combinations so I don't understand why some are repeated....

Here are the patterns in the new watch - (the last one is from the tan watch in post #2 - the seconds digit isn't a proper number)

Some patterns:
    1st row - uses halves (11 or 01 or 00)
    2nd row - uses thirds (111 or 101 or 000 or 100)
    3rd row - uses halves (11 or 01 or 10)
    4th row - uses thirds (111 or 001 or 110)
    5th row - uses thirds (101 or 110 or 011 or 001)
    6th row - uses halves (11 or 10 or 01)

Since it is consistent a 15-bit number could describe each of those possibilities.... even though it theoretically involves 36 bits of information (6x6 grid)

BTW the last seconds digit could be a 2, 3, 8, or 9.... though it is likely a 2 or a 3 - but that doesn't explain why the 6x6 grid isn't showing a 2 or 3 pattern... (perhaps that watch has a different set of patterns)
    Last edited by excreationist; 05-18-2021 at 06:03 AM.

7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    Based on my considerable experience and knowledge I'd say if a display shows 6 when it should be 8then it is broken.

With a cell phone or smart phone a watch seems like a waste of money. My last one was a regular moving hnads going around a circle. I spent hours watching the minute hand going round and round. Fax fascinating.

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Based on my considerable experience and knowledge I'd say if a display shows 6 when it should be 8then it is broken.
    I'm not sure what you mean.... are you talking about a specific watch I'm talking about?
    With a cell phone or smart phone a watch seems like a waste of money.
    Well it cost $15 (US$11.70), has a built in light (if I'm in bed or at the cinema) and it is a very quick way to see the time, date, and day of week. It has a double pin on the band and has a large display. When I'm working as a trolley pusher I like to quickly check the time.... it takes longer to check my phone.
    My last one was a regular moving hands going around a circle. I spent hours watching the minute hand going round and round. Fax fascinating.
    I like to easily know the exact time (e.g. so I can see how long I've got until the break or shift end for clocking off, etc) so I much prefer a digital watch.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I went to Kmart and all 7 of their tan watches with an inverted display had the same 6x6 digit display patterns in post #6. So the promotional photo of the tan watch had at least two separate issues - the display of the 2 or 3 - and the unusual 6x6 pattern (that isn't one of the 0-9 digit patterns)

10. Top | #10
    Contributor
    It is all part of the simulation.