Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's up with my Kmart watches?

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Maybe its the Chinese factory workers who made the watch trying to send you a message.

This is why I wear Seiko automatic watches. Three moving hands and some of them have a window for the day/date. Nothing that could possibly be interpreted as a message from aliens. And the Seikos last a lifetime. My daily driver is a titanium Samurai that has been on my wrist almost every day for over 20 years now. Its a little beat up, but it works fine.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    From another messageboard:
    Seems the more pixels in a number, the more pixels there are in the number's "coded" 6x6 grid. It's interesting that the mystery grid seems to be reading the seconds LED rather than using the number of seconds that's supposed to show, so it's at the mercy of broken pixels.

0 - 6 segments - 30 cells
    1 - 2 segments - 10 cells
    2 - 5 segments - 26 cells
    3 - 5 segments - 26 cells
    4 - 4 segments - 21 cells
    5 - 5 segments - 26 cells
    6 - 6 segments - 31 cells
    7 - 3 segments - 15 cells
    8 - 7 segments - 36 cells
    9 - 6 segments - 31 cells
    ?? - 4 segments - 21 cells

So the problem with the last seconds digit and the different pattern for the tan watch promotional photo is just one problem....

There is kind of a pattern with the first watch too:

0 - 11111 - 6 segments - 5 bits
    1 - 01100 - 2 segments - 2 bits
    2 - 11011 - 5 segments - 4 bits
    3 - 11110 - 5 segments - 4 bits
    4 - 01100 - 4 segments - 2 bits
    5 - 10110 - 5 segments - 3 bits
    6 - 10111 - 6 segments - 4 bits
    7 - 11100 - 3 segments - 3 bits
    8 - 11111 - 7 segments - 5 bits
    9 - 11110 - 6 segments - 4 bits

2 segments (1) - always 2 bits
    3 segments (7) - always 3 bits
    4 segments (4) - always 2 bits
    5 segments (2, 3, 5) - always 3 bits
    6 segments (0, 6, 9) - 4 or 5 bits
    7 segments (8) - always 5 bits

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I cracked the code for the 6x6 grid...

The black for the digits are the segments that are displaying. The colours are the segments that aren't displaying. It even explains the malfunctioning digits' pattern....

I might not have solved it if it wasn't for that post from another messageboard....

Not long after I think I cracked the first watch - they were similar even though they were released years apart...

Maybe the purpose of these patterns is a test for the watches' users' curiosity and intelligence... well I got there eventually...

4. Top | #14
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Rearranging things to make it clearer....

Quote Originally Posted by excreationist
    Maybe the purpose of these patterns is a test for the watches' users' curiosity and intelligence...
    I thought that was the plot of a movie... but I can't remember...
    Last edited by excreationist; 05-19-2021 at 11:05 AM.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    It is all part of the simulation.
    Well I saw a psychiatrist yesterday (with a nurse). I thought I'd mention the Kmart watches. I showed them this thread and the images of the 11 patterns I found. They asked me what I thought it meant. I said I didn't know (which is true). If I had said it seems to be evidence of a simulation they would be probably even more concerned. I said that I don't believe "God" is obvious and that skeptics could always explain away the paranormal as being coincidence, etc.

After cracking the codes in both types of watches I have a bit of a theory.... I think more than one person would be responsible for these "features" of the watches.... there seems to be some kind of organisation involved... not necessarily a "secret" one though....

6. Top | #16
    Contributor
    Over time technology ad integrated circuits converge on common approaches.
    A multi[licity of processors has covegd on a common ARM achetecture, but not completly.

There are propably a small number of common watch chips. Don't knw about today, peole used to maove around differnt chip companies bringing cross pollination.

There are probably a handful of people who design watch chips. The chips may use common cores like ARM. There only a limted number od r ways to implement something.

I'd expect to see commonality.

Wherever there is complexity there can seem to be patterns. The apparent patterns result from uncoordinated actions by individuals.

The economy appears ordered and structured but it is not. It isabased on uncoordinated local individuals and groups operating independently.

Trying to make sense of apparent patterns around us can drive anyone crazy. There is no meaning or ryme and reason to it. It is a consequence of our complex modern culture. Patern recognition is probably genetic, a survival mechanism. Dogs and cats can figure out patterns and respond. Us humans can get carried away with it.

Hope this helps you.

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    .....Trying to make sense of apparent patterns around us can drive anyone crazy. There is no meaning or rhyme and reason to it....
    In case you missed it, I completely cracked the codes of both types of watches.... it is completely based on the LCD segments.

I just don't know why two watch designs, that were released years apart, would be so similar but also so cryptic. The patterns are just distracting and make it harder to read the time. They appear random (at first) which can give a bad user experience. I thought a more obvious pattern would have been better in terms of user experience.

8. Top | #18
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    .....Trying to make sense of apparent patterns around us can drive anyone crazy. There is no meaning or rhyme and reason to it....
    In case you missed it, I completely cracked the codes of both types of watches.... it is completely based on the LCD segments.

I just don't know why two watch designs, that were released years apart, would be so similar but also so cryptic. The patterns are just distracting and make it harder to read the time. They appear random (at first) which can give a bad user experience. I thought a more obvious pattern would have been better in terms of user experience.
    'Curiosity killed te cat, but satisfaction brought him back'.

Congadulations.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    'Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back'.
    Yeah I thought this investigation might ultimately be futile and have a dead end but it turned out well.
    Congadulations.
    Thanks though now I just am taking it for granted that I was able to solve it....

10. Top | #20
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The investigation continues...

Here are the instructions from the tan inverted display watch.

The 6x6 grid is an undocumented "feature". Even more puzzling is that the picture of the watch isn't very accurate. The four side buttons are correct (Light, Mode, Start, Reset) but the display is quite different. I thought if the team was able to put in those extra features (the seconds digit being linked to the 6x6 or 5 element pattern) then they should be able to put a more accurate picture of the watch in the instructions....

Here's what the tan inverted display watch looks like (and compare it with the instructions)

There were no more clues on the box so then I looked on the back of the watch - it said "42871231"....

Doing an image search I came across Smkei watches on Alibaba...

All 4 show the same 6x6 pattern that is usually associated with a 2 but the last digits show 5, 8, and 0....

It's odd that they'd keep the 6x6 grid even though they changed the day display from 2 letters to 3 letters...