Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's up with my Kmart watches?

1. Top | #31
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Here are the 8x3 and 8x5 patterns decoded....

I've ordered the circle grid watch.... its grid is 12 pixels wide and 12 pixels high.... so there are about 100 pixels (some are cut off). It might not be as easy to solve as the others because according to photos only about half of the pixels are filled for the 8 and they are all filled for the 1...

For the 8x3 grid, 8x5 grid and circle grid I can only find watches made by Armitron.... I wonder if they will eventually involve other companies like the 6x6 grid and 5 segment displays.

2. Top | #32
    Veteran Member
    Quote Originally Posted by excreationist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    .....Anyway, the pattern is indeed a pattern, but has no meaning or utility. It is the simplest and cheapest way to "do something flashy". The seconds are the only thing that changes often enough to have any interest to the glancing eye, and simply mapping a segment of one diode to a segment of another diode costs $0.00001 to manufacture. It's nearly free "flashiness". No need to program or add or change the chip.. its just a nanometer of extra solder and a couple of diodes.
    Why is it that Casio, perhaps the leading digital watch manufacturer, always has simple patterns like this:

If the leading digital watch manufacturer thinks that is a good idea then why do a group of them including Liebig, Skmei, OTS, Armitron, Affute, Kmart, Walmur, etc, consistently use this exact pattern:

It is the simplest and cheapest way to "do something flashy"
    No Casio's style is "the simplest and cheapest way to do something flashy".
    Because the two cheapest chips commonly manufactured have the very cheap nice logical complication and a very very very cheap confusing complication.
    That's it. Your imagination is far more interesting than this reality.

3. Top | #33
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    Because the two cheapest chips commonly manufactured have the very cheap nice logical complication and a very very very cheap confusing complication.
    That's it. Your imagination is far more interesting than this reality.
    Sometimes the 6x6 pattern watches have a 2 letter day and sometimes they have a 3 letter day. They would involve separate chips or a combined chip that can be set to 2 or 3 letter days....

4. Top | #34
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Here is a look at the patterns from the circle grid watches:

You can view them here:
    https://watchpattern.com/circlegrid.php

Here is the video:

The previous patterns were always about the 7 segment LCD.... but the circle grid is based on the value of the numbers - and it goes from 0 to 59 but only changes every 2 seconds so there are 30 patterns overall.

I've made a website all about these patterns:

https://watchpattern.com/

5. Top | #35
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I thought that I had found all of Armitron's patterns but in addition to 8x3 and 8x5 there is also the 8x4 grid from 2014....

6. Top | #36
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I thought that I had found all of Armitron's patterns but in addition to 8x3 and 8x5 there is also the 8x4 grid from 2014....

People call me obsessed for 1% of what you're doing here.

7. Top | #37
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokodo View Post

People call me obsessed for 1% of what you're doing here.
    So I also decoded the 8x4 grid....

I figured out a way of finding the patterns between the 7 LCD segments and the grid.... usually the "8" involves the grid being full.... then the 0, 6, and 9 each have one part missing.... the 5 and 3 have 2 parts missing (similar to the 6 and 9), etc.

It's odd that Armitron uses the 7 LCD elements for all of these patterns (5 segment bars/ball, 6x6, 8x3, 8x4, 8x5) then the 12x12 circle grid is completely different...

8. Top | #38
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This is the watch I wear. It doesn't drive me crazy.

Arnold wore the same watch in Kindergarten Cop.

When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

9. Top | #39
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This is about Armitron 40/8252 vs 40/8254

They are pretty much identical including the "Pacer" mode (that says "PA" at the top, etc)

Besides the rotating dial on the 40/8254 the only significant differences are that one has 5 segment ball patterns and the other has the 6x6 grid patterns.... I guess someone thought it was a good idea for the 8252 model to have the ball while the 8254 model would have a 6x6 grid....

I originally was going to just concentrate on the "pacer" mode.... I was going to overlay the following graphics over the video - the left side shows the 2 digits and the right side shows the corresponding patterns

6x6:

Ball:

But when I was editing the video in Blender I kept on having lots of technical problems with "image sequences" including it crashing a lot. I think that those problems happened for a reason - leading me to not use those graphics in the final video.
    Last edited by excreationist; 06-22-2021 at 11:51 AM.

10. Top | #40
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Here are all of the 0-9 digit patterns together.... (5 segment bars/ball, 6x6, 8x3, 8x4, and 8x5 grids)

Perhaps it is a little busy...

From watchpattern.com
    Last edited by excreationist; 07-02-2021 at 07:02 AM.