Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VeraCrypt Security Issue

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

VeraCrypt Security Issue

I have a copy of all my passwords in an OpenOffice Word file which is encrypted folder on a thumb drive and I use Google back up and Sync.

To my shock and dismay i just opened the encrypted folder in back up and sync and was able to open the pass word file as a Google Document.

Any body had this experience or know any thing about it?
    People who believe that the universe was created by an intelligent deity should pay closer attention to the evening news.

2. Top | #2
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Just about recording passwords - I save mine in Google Chrome - and I can look them up when I want using the browser on my computer or my phone. It also lets me know if there was a data breach on a site I have a saved password for.

3. Top | #3
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That seems like a strange backup system to me. Maybe it is just that I am old school but I still keep an index box of 3"X5" cards with phone numbers, addresses, user names, passwords, credit and debit card numbers, driver's license number, bank account numbers, passport number, etc. There is no hacker on the planet that can gain access to that information unless they are also home invaders and know that is my backup system. It turns out that this system has saved me twice after hard crashes of my hard drives.

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    Nope. Why encrypt you back up thumb drive?

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Nope. Why encrypt you back up thumb drive?
    The file on the thumb drive, the hard drive, my external hard drive and Google Backup and Sync are all encrypted.
    People who believe that the universe was created by an intelligent deity should pay closer attention to the evening news.

6. Top | #6
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I'm still using the old windows 3.x cardfile on my windows 10 machines. One file for names and addresses, another for passwords.
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

7. Top | #7
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleman Smith View Post
    I have a copy of all my passwords in an OpenOffice Word file which is encrypted folder on a thumb drive and I use Google back up and Sync.

To my shock and dismay i just opened the encrypted folder in back up and sync and was able to open the pass word file as a Google Document.

Why are you surprised?
    Encrypted folder is a defense against loss of a thumb drive. So nobody can read it from a drive without providing a password.
    Once you provided a password your google backup and sync copies it to the server.

8. Top | #8
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barbos View Post

Why are you surprised?
    Encrypted folder is a defense against loss of a thumb drive. So nobody can read it from a drive without providing a password.
    Once you provided a password your google backup and sync copies it to the server.
    This. The only way the backup would be secure is if you backed up the whole drive image.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What I believe happened is that I opened the encrypted volume with Google backup and sync running.

Back up detected un the decrypted files and new files and backed them up.

The problem resolved when I turn off back up before decrypting the volume.

10. Top | #10
    Archived
    Total Posts
    What I believe happened is that I opened the encrypted volume with Google backup and sync running.

Back up detected un the decrypted files and new files and backed them up.

The problem resolved when I turn off back up before decrypting the volume.
    Back up does not know nor care, if it has access to something it would back it up. You need to specifically tell him what not to backup or backup.