Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Abertay student faces expulsion in row over ‘women have vaginas’ comment

1. Top | #1
    Contributor

Abertay student faces expulsion in row over ‘women have vaginas’ comment

Return of the Dark Ages;

A law student who said women have vaginas and are not as physically strong as men is being investigated by Abertay University. Disciplinary action is being taken against Lisa Keogh, 29, over “offensive” and “discriminatory” comments that she made during lectures at the Dundee-based university.

The mature final-year student told the Times she was reported by younger classmates after she said women were born with female genitals and that “the difference in physical strength of men versus women is a fact”.
    https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...ginas-comment/

What a sorry state of affairs.

2. Top | #2
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    Return of the Dark Ages;

A law student who said women have vaginas and are not as physically strong as men is being investigated by Abertay University. Disciplinary action is being taken against Lisa Keogh, 29, over “offensive” and “discriminatory” comments that she made during lectures at the Dundee-based university.

The mature final-year student told the Times she was reported by younger classmates after she said women were born with female genitals and that “the difference in physical strength of men versus women is a fact”.
    https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...ginas-comment/

What a sorry state of affairs.
    From the university (emphasis mine)

A statement from Abertay said: “To be absolutely clear, freedom of speech within the law is not only permitted at Abertay but is strongly encouraged.
    “All universities should be places where controversial, challenging or even upsetting issues can be debated in a constructive and collegial way.
    “The university does not comment on student disciplinary cases and is duty bound to investigate any complaints received.”
    Given Scotland has a modern blasphemy law in place under Witchfinder-General Humza Yousaf, it frankly isn't even clear to me that what the student said would be 'within the law'.

The best possible outcome I can see for this is that, the university, as it says it must, investigates the complaint--then clears the student of the idiotic charges and makes it clear that uttering biological facts are not transphobic nor should they invite disciplinary reviews.

Even if that outcome is achieved, the complaint still speaks to both the number of and power of the emboldened trans ideology radicals.

And brava to Joanna Cherry QC, the SNP MP for Edinburgh South West and deputy chairwoman of the Lords and Commons joint committee on human rights, who labelled the investigation farcical. It takes bravery to stand up to her own party's line on trans ideology.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    This is a great example of reporters spinning a probably nothing event into an article that melts snowflakes.

The university is obliged to investigate all complaints. The university got a complaint. The university is investigating the complaint. These are the facts so far.

Let me know if something actually substantial happens.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Man this is a reach. "investigating a complaint", is the same as facing expulsion now? Fuck, the woman was lucky she wasn't charged with warcrimes going by TSwizzle's carrying on. What a fucking slow news day. I guess some people need to be outraged just to get hard.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    It is nice to have a hobby.

6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by zorq View Post
    This is a great example of reporters spinning a probably nothing event into an article that melts snowflakes.

The university is obliged to investigate all complaints. The university got a complaint. The university is investigating the complaint. These are the facts so far.

It may be a nothing event to you but how is it a nothing event to the student ? The student is being investigated for wrong think and could be suspended or expelled because a few snowflakes can't deal with reality and a faculty that will indulge them.

7. Top | #7

It may be a nothing event to you but how is it a nothing event to the student ? The student is being investigated for wrong think and could be suspended or expelled because a few snowflakes can't deal with reality and a faculty that will indulge them.
    "Snowflakes can't deal with reality" says a guy who's living in a complete fantasy land spun for him by the gutter press...
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

8. Top | #8
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post

"Snowflakes can't deal with reality" says a guy who's living in a complete fantasy land spun for him by the gutter press...
    It amazes me how preoccupied conservoflakes are with manufactured petty grievances. Especially if genitalia are involved. They never seem to run out of trivial tragedies to wring their hands over.
    The "gutter press" (well named, Poli!) is increasingly desperate these days to keep feeding their idiots stuff, to keep them from looking at any of the real problems that their type have created... like insane mobs of their brethren in stupidity, doing the bidding of their insane president, trying to overturn an American Presidential election.
    "Oh NOOooo! Looky here! Someone said something that should offend you! And it's about VAGINAS!!!"

9. Top | #9
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle
    Don't have a meltdown, snowflake. Someone filed a complaint. Let's see what happens to see if a meltdown is necessary.

10. Top | #10
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    FAKE NEWS

The article starts with a flashy title that if you read the article you can see is about 10% of the things she claims she said. Moreover, 90% of this article was devoted to the lady's side of the story, didn't say anything about the exact context in which she said things probably for a reason, and the University denies this is how it went down. The University is bound by law not to discuss specifics of students attending and so cannot defend itself with specifics, but the article also did not tell the other side of the story from students. Another article hits some other topics and also says that Keogh herself said that other students said she said women were the weaker sex and called them "man-hating feminists." So it is clear right from the get-go of reading the catchy title and article that it isn't telling the whole story. Regardless of who is right or wrong, the university also says it is required by law to investigate all complaints and so of course she is being investigated after other students complained of harassment such as calling them man-hating feminists and we don't know what else. There's also no evidence she is even being considered for expulsion since the university cannot comment. This is a case of someone going over the top during class hours saying harassing things (probably) and then going to the media screaming, "Help, I'm going to be expelled from school for saying women have vaginas!!!11!" I will add that I bet also at least one of the other students said something that could be construed as harassing to her as well. And that just underscores the fact we are not hearing the full story from screamingly paranoid conservative press and that this is a thing that will blow over. So calm down.