Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Abertay student faces expulsion in row over ‘women have vaginas’ comment

  1. Top | #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    7,597
    Archived
    10,974
    Total Posts
    18,571
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post

    No, not 99% AND no, not just the title, but also the content. Get it right before responding.

    But then when you read the contents of many of the conservative articles you see them talking about multiple things she said that got her into a disciplinary investigation. One article for example says she was in trouble for comments that included a and b....they don't even mention any other comments but one can logically infer there are more than 2 or it'd be superfluous to write "comments that included a and b."...and so they were hiding those comments and cherry-picking the ones that sounded best for their audiences.
    You do not know what they knew or didn't know, and you read their mind when you attribute the motive 'hiding' on deciding what to include in the article.
    They have the same information from her interview but refused to report it.
    You don't know they have the same information, and where they do, you don't know that they 'refused' to report it.

    When you say they "refused" to report it, or they are "hiding" information, you are speculating on motives and actions you have no evidence for.

  2. Top | #22
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,906
    Archived
    17,741
    Total Posts
    28,647
    Rep Power
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post

    No, not 99% AND no, not just the title, but also the content. Get it right before responding.



    They have the same information from her interview but refused to report it.
    You don't know they have the same information, and where they do, you don't know that they 'refused' to report it.

    When you say they "refused" to report it, or they are "hiding" information, you are speculating on motives and actions you have no evidence for.
    It's the way niche markets work.

  3. Top | #23
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    West Hollywood
    Posts
    5,510
    Rep Power
    29
    Cleared;

    A mother-of-two law student who was investigated by university chiefs after saying 'women have vaginas' has today been cleared of misconduct. Mature student Lisa Keogh, 29, was hauled before a disciplinary panel at the University of Abertay in Dundee after her comments made during a seminar on transgender issues were reported to tutors by her classmates. But after a two month probe, which took place while she underwent her final year exams, the university's disciplinary board has decided not to uphold the misconduct charge against her.
    DailyMail

    Two months

  4. Top | #24
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,906
    Archived
    17,741
    Total Posts
    28,647
    Rep Power
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Don2 (Don1 Revised) View Post
    FAKE NEWS

    The article starts with a flashy title that if you read the article you can see is about 10% of the things she claims she said. Moreover, 90% of this article was devoted to the lady's side of the story, didn't say anything about the exact context in which she said things probably for a reason, and the University denies this is how it went down. The University is bound by law not to discuss specifics of students attending and so cannot defend itself with specifics, but the article also did not tell the other side of the story from students. Another article hits some other topics and also says that Keogh herself said that other students said she said women were the weaker sex and called them "man-hating feminists." So it is clear right from the get-go of reading the catchy title and article that it isn't telling the whole story. Regardless of who is right or wrong, the university also says it is required by law to investigate all complaints and so of course she is being investigated after other students complained of harassment such as calling them man-hating feminists and we don't know what else. There's also no evidence she is even being considered for expulsion since the university cannot comment. This is a case of someone going over the top during class hours saying harassing things (probably) and then going to the media screaming, "Help, I'm going to be expelled from school for saying women have vaginas!!!11!" I will add that I bet also at least one of the other students said something that could be construed as harassing to her as well. And that just underscores the fact we are not hearing the full story from screamingly paranoid conservative press and that this is a thing that will blow over. So calm down.
    Emphasis added. Paranoid propaganda.

  5. Top | #25
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,509
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    I guess some people need to be outraged just to get hard their exaggerations and flat out lies to appear believable.
    FIFY

  6. Top | #26
    Contributor Trausti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    8,332
    Archived
    372
    Total Posts
    8,704
    Rep Power
    68


    But apparently her hurtful statement that water is wet is still under investigation.

  7. Top | #27
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    6,348
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post


    But apparently her hurtful statement that water is wet is still under investigation.
    So all of this was... clickbait, constructed around an incident whose facts were never made public/clear, and which had no lasting consequences on anyone involved.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

  8. Top | #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    7,597
    Archived
    10,974
    Total Posts
    18,571
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post


    But apparently her hurtful statement that water is wet is still under investigation.
    So all of this was... clickbait, constructed around an incident whose facts were never made public/clear, and which had no lasting consequences on anyone involved.
    Huh? The outcomes were not known at the time the investigation was opened, because the investigation was not concluded. You also don't know what the consequences were to the student with an investigation hanging over her head.

    (I was investigated at work once for a Facebook comment I made. It didn't matter I knew my comment was completely justified and did not reflect on me or my company, but it still caused me a great deal of anxiety during the 'investigation'.)

  9. Top | #29
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    6,348
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post


    But apparently her hurtful statement that water is wet is still under investigation.
    So all of this was... clickbait, constructed around an incident whose facts were never made public/clear, and which had no lasting consequences on anyone involved.
    Huh? The outcomes were not known at the time the investigation was opened, because the investigation was not concluded. You also don't know what the consequences were to the student with an investigation hanging over her head.

    (I was investigated at work once for a Facebook comment I made. It didn't matter I knew my comment was completely justified and did not reflect on me or my company, but it still caused me a great deal of anxiety during the 'investigation'.)
    I didn't say the outcome was known in advance, though everyone not brainwashed by conservative propoganda did, in fact, know exactly how this was most likely to end. What was never clear, and still isn't clear, is what the student was being investigated for in the first place and whether expulsion was ever so much as considered in response to said accusations. The claim that it was over a single comment contradicts what little was stated by the school or even by the accused, so the headline is a straightforward lie, and the facts of the matter weren't, and now never will be, known to the public. And we now know the outcome for certain as well, making this a complete non-story, even though it will still be vaguely cited later as an example of "Woke fascism", even though the matter was in fact resolved in exactly the opposite direction to what such a conspiracy theory would have predicted.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

  10. Top | #30
    Contributor Trausti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    8,332
    Archived
    372
    Total Posts
    8,704
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post

    Huh? The outcomes were not known at the time the investigation was opened, because the investigation was not concluded. You also don't know what the consequences were to the student with an investigation hanging over her head.

    (I was investigated at work once for a Facebook comment I made. It didn't matter I knew my comment was completely justified and did not reflect on me or my company, but it still caused me a great deal of anxiety during the 'investigation'.)
    I didn't say the outcome was known in advance, though everyone not brainwashed by conservative propoganda did, in fact, know exactly how this was most likely to end. What was never clear, and still isn't clear, is what the student was being investigated for in the first place and whether expulsion was ever so much as considered in response to said accusations. The claim that it was over a single comment contradicts what little was stated by the school or even by the accused, so the headline is a straightforward lie, and the facts of the matter weren't, and now never will be, known to the public. And we now know the outcome for certain as well, making this a complete non-story, even though it will still be vaguely cited later as an example of "Woke fascism", even though the matter was in fact resolved in exactly the opposite direction to what such a conspiracy theory would have predicted.
    That the outcome wasn't punishment is beside the point. There never should have been an investigation. All this does is chill speech and make people self-censor, lest they offend the easily offended.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •