Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What an idiot, part two!

1. Top | #1
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts

What an idiot, part two!

Cynthia Nixon ran for NY governor in 2018 and was endorsed by AOC among others. She received 35% of the primary vote, so not exactly fringe among NY Democrats.

Cynthia Nixon slammed on Twitter after claiming shoplifters shouldn’t be arrested

Quote Originally Posted by NY Post
    “The CVS on my corner has started locking up basic items like clothing detergent,” the one-time wannabe New York governor tweeted Saturday.
    “As so many families can’t make ends meet right now, I can’t imagine thinking that the way to solve the problem of people stealing basic necessities out of desperation is to prosecute them,” she wrote.
    A handful of followers applauded Nixon’s support for the needy — while the vast majority erupted in outrage and baffled amazement.
    “Why don’t you leave the doors to your posh co-op unlocked, and the closets and freezer stocked. Those in need can come help themselves?” replied former prosecutor Thomas Kenniff, who is running for Manhattan DA.
    Good point, Thomas! Those "limousine liberals" always want to be generous with other people's money.

2. Top | #2
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    From what I read, Ms Nixon was not advocating forgoing enforcement of shoplifting laws. She made the rather common sense observation that prosecuting them does not solve the problem of desperation and need.

3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The humans capitalism does not need and cannot do anything productive with are refuse to be stepped on and thrown away.

4. Top | #4
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    The humans capitalism does not need and cannot do anything productive with are refuse to be stepped on and thrown away.
    I think the successful capitalists have learned from history to keep these people satisfied just enough so that they don’t reach the nothing left to lose stage.

5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy Man View Post
    I think the successful capitalists have learned from history to keep these people satisfied just enough so that they don’t reach the nothing left to lose stage.
    Right now the US is keeping a huge number of people in prison to partially mitigate the problem.

6. Top | #6
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    From what I read, Ms Nixon was not advocating forgoing enforcement of shoplifting laws.
    I do not know how you can read "Miranda's" statements other than that she advocates just that, at least for certain types of perps.

She made the rather common sense observation that prosecuting them does not solve the problem of desperation and need.
    I wonder how many of those shoplifters wear Nikes and have iPhones. US has plenty of social safety net programs. This is not revolutionary France. Nobody needs to steal a loaf of bread to survive.

7. Top | #7
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Or maybe they don't have money for diapers because they wasted all their money on fancy sneakers, iPhone 12 and/or booze/weed.

In any case, stealing is wrong, even if it is diapers.

Or clothing detergent.

8. Top | #8
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    US social safety net provides for basic needs. There is cash assistance (TANF, but also refundable tax credits like EITC and child tax credit, recently supersized by Biden), food assistance (SNAP), rent assistance, subsidized healthcare ... But it is not enough to satisfy wants and some people would rather steal than work for a living. I do not think we should or need to keep those people satisfied.

9. Top | #9
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    In context, Nixon re-tweeted someone called Errol Louis who said "Worth noting that several candidates for Manhattan DA (and for NYC Mayor) say shoplifting should not be prosecuted because that’s “criminalizing poverty.” "

I assume then that she not only thinks they (shoplifters) ought not be prosecuted, but that the items shouldn't be locked up, either.

I wonder how she'd feel if somebody stole from her multimillion dollar apartment?

10. Top | #10
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    US social safety net provides for basic needs.

Shit, there goes another rib.