Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Guest lecturer at Yale fantasizes about shooting white people in the head

1. Top | #131
    Might be a replicant Emily Lake's Avatar
    Northern Hemisphere, Bordering the Pacific
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily Lake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel View Post
    I was both trying to be funny and point out how ridiculous both positions are. However, I hope (this is not directed at you) my opinion being as such isn't misconstrued into saying that the current and future generations should be met with resistance if they so choose to deal with the remnants of racism. Because there are remnants.
    I agree that they're both ridiculous. I also agree that the remnants of historical behaviors should be adressed.
    Historical behaviors? What are you 10 years old? The "war on 'drugs'" sent a lot of people to prison in the 80s. 1980s.

They were attacking black protestors in the street with dogs and hoses in the 1960s.
    History doesn't start 500 years ago. Things that happened 50 years ago are also considered part of history.

2. Top | #132
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Every time someone mentions the "war on drugs" I remember that time I spent the weekend in jail over an amount of weed I could barely make a joint out of. The bologna sandwiches were so bad they may as well given me a turd between two slices of bread. Thinking back on it now, it pisses me off that taxpayers paid my room and board in one of the shittiest hotels in town over an amount of weed so light the judge farted it off his bench.

3. Top | #133
    The War on Drugs was so dumb.

I'm not a proponent of legalizing everything under the sun, I think that some drugs are engineered to be too dangerous. But the more naturally occurring things like marijuana, psilocybin, even coca leaves... there's no good reason to have those be illegal - especially not if you compare them to alcohol or tobacco.

That said, I have some very serious reservations about some of the highly concentrated forms of THC that are available now. I don't think they're nearly as harmless as people claim they are. Everyone I know who uses dabs and waxes have lives that are a complete shit-show. I tend to think it's a bit like trying to compare coca leaves to crack cocaine. Same source, but at this point, very much not the same effects.

4. Top | #134
    Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I wasn't going to post in this thread, but it did make me curious about the woman in question so I read a little bit about her background. Her parents were both from Pakistan, not sure that makes her Black, but then imo, race is a very stupid social construct that I personally hate.

Both of her parents were doctors and she was born in the states, but imo, she was a very privileged child who was able to attend good schools and obtain a couple of graduate degrees, so I find it disturbing that someone like her would make nasty generalizations about all people with a particular skin tones.

As a former health care professional myself, I was appalled to see a medical professional make such judgements about all of her white patients. One of the values that I held as a professional nurse was to never judge my patients. I never judged them based on race, ethnicity, political views, gender, etc. In healthcare, we should always provide good care to all, regardless of any other factors. Nope. I'm not virtue signaling. Just telling it like it's supposed to be. I know not all healthcare professionals maintain that ethic. I know there are racist doctors in the US. I know there are doctors who fat shame or dislike poor people etc. It shouldn't be that way.

The good news, if there is anything good about this story is that Yale has condemned her comments, calling them racist etc. You can google that yourself. If you want to improve things, you don't start by making unfounded judgments about any large group of people. But, to be honest, I've always been a bit suspicious of psych docs, as so many of them seem to have some mental health issues themselves. That's a prejudice of my own, and I try to remind myself not to make assumptions about all of them based on the negative experiences that I've had dealing with a few of them.

The doc has tried to play down the meaning of her words. Yeah okay. What if the situation was reversed and a white doc said that she had fantasies of killing all Black people, making generalizations based on the worst Black people?

While I think it would be better not to give this woman so much attention, she's all over the internet now for better or worse. I just hope some crazy nut doesn't try to harm her just because of the hateful things she has said. There are too many disturbed people who do things like that. It would be better to let her fade away, but after doing a little search, I see that just about every far right nut job has a hard on over this, as it gives them more fodder to condemn someone who dared to criticize white people.

I'm white. I'm not a racist. I don't give a shit what some wealthy, elitist says about people with my skin shade. I won't be a victim and I doubt most people enjoy playing the victim role. I have plenty of Black friends who I love and they love me. We have far more in common than we have differences. Besides that, I love cultural diversity.

The other thing that makes me laugh is this person of color nonsense. My husband always identified as white. He's the grandson of Syrian/Lebanese immigrants. A few years ago, a younger friend of ours told him he was a "person of color". This morning, I jokingly yelled at him, showed him my arm and said, "I'm not white. I'm beige". He showed me his slightly darker arm and I said. "You're a slightly darker shade of beige." I miss MLK. He had the right idea.

So, I hope this woman will do some soul searching and realize that if anything, she is and has always been a very privileged person. Did she just want attention? Who really knows? I do wonder if her white patients know about her lecture and if they still feel comfortable seeing her. Of course, that's not my problem. There are all kinds of weird people in the world. Telling people that you fantasize about shouting them isn't going to help lead us in a better direction. That's just my opinion......we all have those.

5. Top | #135
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    Historical behaviors? What are you 10 years old? The "war on 'drugs'" sent a lot of people to prison in the 80s. 1980s.

They were attacking black protestors in the street with dogs and hoses in the 1960s.
    History doesn't start 500 years ago. Things that happened 50 years ago are also considered part of history.
    Yes, we all talk about the "remnants" of the influence of 80s music today. Remnants implies pretty old stuff. Don't get all bothered about being loose with your language or maybe not considering the systemic racism built into the system has been working against blacks, intentionally, for centuries, including deep the 20th Century.

Heck, the idea of a black family moving into the home my Grandmother was moving out of in Ohio in 2005 would have been scandalous. But whatever... remnants and shit.

6. Top | #136
    Veteran Member
    The OP title is disingenuous. The person relayed a time when they felt that way... not that they currently hold that feeling.
    So the OP title should read "Guest lecturer at Yale had fantasies of shooting white people in the head, which they discussed"
    It is dishonest to imply they are guest lecturing and holding that belief at the same time, as the OP quite intentionally does.

7. Top | #137
    Contributor
    It looks like Yale are having buyer's remorse;

Quote Originally Posted by Yale
    On April 6, a speaker who is not affiliated with Yale gave a Child Study Center Grand Rounds talk, with the provocative title “The Psychopathic Problem of the White Mind.” After the event, several faculty members expressed concern to the Yale School of Medicine’s Office of Academic and Professional Development and the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion about the content of the talk. Based on these concerns, School of Medicine leaders, including Dean Brown and Deputy Dean Latimore, in consultation with the Chair of the Child Study Center, reviewed a recording of the talk and found the tone and content antithetical to the values of the school. Because Grand Rounds are typically posted online after the event and in consideration of Yale’s commitment to the right of free expression, school leaders further reviewed the Report of the Committee on Freedom of Expression at Yale. In deciding whether to post the video, we weighed our grave concern about the extreme hostility, imagery of violence, and profanity expressed by the speaker against our commitment to freedom of expression. We ultimately decided to post the video with access limited to those who could have attended the talk— the members of the Yale community.
    Yale

I doubt she will be invited back.

8. Top | #138
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TSwizzle View Post
    It looks like Yale are having buyer's remorse;

Quote Originally Posted by Yale
    On April 6, a speaker who is not affiliated with Yale gave a Child Study Center Grand Rounds talk, with the provocative title “The Psychopathic Problem of the White Mind.” After the event, several faculty members expressed concern to the Yale School of Medicine’s Office of Academic and Professional Development and the Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion about the content of the talk. Based on these concerns, School of Medicine leaders, including Dean Brown and Deputy Dean Latimore, in consultation with the Chair of the Child Study Center, reviewed a recording of the talk and found the tone and content antithetical to the values of the school. Because Grand Rounds are typically posted online after the event and in consideration of Yale’s commitment to the right of free expression, school leaders further reviewed the Report of the Committee on Freedom of Expression at Yale. In deciding whether to post the video, we weighed our grave concern about the extreme hostility, imagery of violence, and profanity expressed by the speaker against our commitment to freedom of expression. We ultimately decided to post the video with access limited to those who could have attended the talk— the members of the Yale community.
    Yale

I doubt she will be invited back.
    Perhaps now the pendulum is swinging back? The neo-racists gonna be sad.

9. Top | #139
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel View Post
    Blah, that's a concept conservatives should be familiar with anyway. That being the whole party of God thing along with that original sin thing that they guilt-trip people into loving christ for thing.
    Lol...

So the right tries to foist off the original sin of eating a forbidden apple and being sinners at heart. The left tries to foist of the original sin of having been born white and being the cause of all the problems in the world.

I can't decide which is worse. I mean, at least the right is applying that inherent guilt to *everyone* not just a select portion that are being defined as the root of evil.
    The left's original sin ontology is significantly worse. In Christianity, the stain of original sin on your soul can be cleansed with baptism.

For the Woke, the stain of Whiteness is permanent. You are born racist and nothing you do can atone. The minimum incumbent on you to do is continual anti-racist work until you are dead, but that still does not remove the stain.

10. Top | #140
    Dr. Khilanani's schtick strikes me as pretty damned loony and racist... But I have to admit that her interview with Katie Herzog has some pretty funny passages in it. She seems to think that conservatives are easier to reach than liberals when it comes to really confronting racism... and that the die-hard anti-racists are harder to reach than the angry white people objecting to it.

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/wha...ors-cant-speak
    Note: Some of you dismissed this out of hand earlier, because it's published on Bari Weiss' substack, but it's not actually written by Weiss. It's a transcript of an interview conducted by Katie Herzog.

Honestly, with every day that passes, I'm more and more convinced that the matrix is real and has a massive glitch, because this can't possibly be the real world. The mind-boggling idiocy of these times is turning me into a conspiracy theorist, because that shit makes more sense.