Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Guest lecturer at Yale fantasizes about shooting white people in the head

1. Top | #11
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctish View Post

Given the substance of her speech and the points she was raising, sure, whatever, especially since she addressed that very thing in the final paragraphs of the OP article:

A person in the Dean's department contacted her a day before the talk questioning the potential impact of her presentation given it was specifically about the 'white mind'.

The email read: 'Good morning, I was surprised to see the announcement for tomorrow's grand rounds. I imagine replacing the words 'white mind' with 'Asian mind' or 'gay mind' as we work towards equity and inclusion and unity. I wonder what impact this presentation will have.'

Asked about the person's concerns and if they had a point, Khilanani said part of the 'anxiety' was around the use of the word white and 'them having to reflect on that'.

'When I'm breaking this down psychologically, what they're saying on some level is like, 'We need things to be the same. If you can say 'white,' we can say 'Asian'.

'Psychologically, they're actually making a false equivalence. What they're doing psychologically is obliterating the difference between white and Asian, and if you obliterate the difference there's no f**king problem here so shut up, you're the real racist. That's how it functions psychologically.'
    You should listen to her speech. And read the entire OP article.
    But why let facts get in the way of rational thought when out if context quotes confirm one’s biases?

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post

Given the substance of her speech and the points she was raising, sure, whatever, especially since she addressed that very thing in the final paragraphs of the OP article:

A person in the Dean's department contacted her a day before the talk questioning the potential impact of her presentation given it was specifically about the 'white mind'.

The email read: 'Good morning, I was surprised to see the announcement for tomorrow's grand rounds. I imagine replacing the words 'white mind' with 'Asian mind' or 'gay mind' as we work towards equity and inclusion and unity. I wonder what impact this presentation will have.'

Asked about the person's concerns and if they had a point, Khilanani said part of the 'anxiety' was around the use of the word white and 'them having to reflect on that'.

'When I'm breaking this down psychologically, what they're saying on some level is like, 'We need things to be the same. If you can say 'white,' we can say 'Asian'.

'Psychologically, they're actually making a false equivalence. What they're doing psychologically is obliterating the difference between white and Asian, and if you obliterate the difference there's no f**king problem here so shut up, you're the real racist. That's how it functions psychologically.'
    You should listen to her speech. And read the entire OP article.
    But why let facts get in the way of rational thought?
    Good point! "We are asking a demented, violent predator who thinks that they are a saint or a superhero, to accept responsibility" can be easily taken out of context!

3. Top | #13
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post

It's a disgusting perspective, but it is completely in line with the thinking of somebody whose perspective has been callously deranged by critical theory.

The entire talk is here, with an additional interview appended:
    https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/the...m-of-the-white

Khilanani thinks the origin of white suffering is racism, a direct denial of the shared humanity of all people. A couple choice snippets from the lecture and interview:

Exactly how Khilanani has determined this, given she has cut out nearly all white people from her life, is not clear. But I can tell Khilanani I do not suffer 'white guilt'. She is thinking of white guilt progressives and nobody else.

We are now in a psychological predicament, because white people feel that we are bullying them when we bring up race. They feel that we should be thanking them for all that they have done for us. They are confused, and so are we. We keep forgetting that directly talking about race is a waste of our breath. We are asking a demented, violent predator who thinks that they are a saint or a superhero, to accept responsibility. It ain’t gonna happen. They have five holes in their brain. It’s like banging your head against a brick wall. It’s just like sort of not a good idea.
    People of color, myself included, suffer from being positioned in the world, psychologically, and the stuff that goes with it: violence, this, that. Now, white people suffer from problems of their own mind. They suffer with trust, they suffer with intimacy, they suffer with closeness, shame, guilt, anxiety. They suffer with their minds. Don’t get me wrong, people of color are also neurotic and have their own stuff and ups and downs. But there is a fundamental issue I think that is very unique to white suffering and I think that’s their own mind.
    Did you listen to the whole speech, or are you relying on quotes provided by others to inform your view?

Also, how is saying the origin of white suffering is racism a direct denial of the shared humanity of all people? Do you think she's saying that only white people suffer from racism?

4. Top | #14
    Banned
    Archived
    Total Posts

It's a disgusting perspective, but it is completely in line with the thinking of somebody whose perspective has been callously deranged by critical theory.

Khilanani thinks the origin of white suffering is racism, a direct denial of the shared humanity of all people. A couple choice snippets from the lecture and interview:

Exactly how Khilanani has determined this, given she has cut out nearly all white people from her life, is not clear. But I can tell Khilanani I do not suffer 'white guilt'. She is thinking of white guilt progressives and nobody else.

Did you listen to the whole speech, or are you relying on quotes provided by others to inform your view?

Also, how is saying the origin of white suffering is racism a direct denial of the shared humanity of all people? Do you think she's saying that only white people suffer from racism?
    No: she is saying that white people's problems are because of their guilt from perpetrating past and present racism and "colonialism".

This is a disgusting perspective. When my father and brother died, I was not suffering grief because of racism or anything. I was suffering from the fact of their deaths.

5. Top | #15
    Archived
    Total Posts

Good grief. How is this not religion?

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts

No: she is saying that white people's problems are because of their guilt from perpetrating past and present racism and "colonialism".
    Can you provide the minute mark when she says that? I'd like to discuss it in detail but first I want to transcribe her words.

This is a disgusting perspective. When my father and brother died, I was not suffering grief because of racism or anything. I was suffering from the fact of their deaths.
    I didn't hear her say that racism is the only cause of suffering, or even imply it. Can you provide the minute mark where she says that, too?

7. Top | #17
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post

How is what not religion? Are you talking about the blind faith in the Daily Mail's Inerrant Word and Revealed Truth that some posters appear to have? That does look a lot like religion.

Or are you referring to my question "how is saying the origin of white suffering is racism a direct denial of the shared humanity of all people"? If you have an answer, I'd like to hear it.

FWIW, I think racism is the origin of almost all suffering that isn't weather or disease related, and that it affects pretty much everyone, everywhere, although the level of suffering for individuals varies tremendously.

8. Top | #18
    Archived
    Total Posts

How is what not religion? Are you talking about the blind faith in the Daily Mail's Inerrant Word and Revealed Truth that some posters appear to have? That does look a lot like religion.

Or are you referring to my question "how is saying the origin of white suffering is racism a direct denial of the shared humanity of all people"? If you have an answer, I'd like to hear it.
    The link I posted wasn't from the Dailymail. But I recall growing up the televangelists preaching that the reason people are suffering is because they've forgotten God and need Jesus. Secular religion is still religion.

9. Top | #19
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Here she is. Feel the love.

10. Top | #20
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    But why let facts get in the way of rational thought?
    Good point! "We are asking a demented, violent predator who thinks that they are a saint or a superhero, to accept responsibility" can be easily taken out of context!
    Thank you fir proving my point. You rail against a quote taken out of context and refuse to look at the complete context because it might educate you. Pretty ironic coming from someone whining about the secular religious views of others,