Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who invented the hamburger?

1. Top | #11
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TV and credit cards View Post
    For as long as there's been meat and bread at the table, I assure you men have been sandwiching them together.
    Yeah, I suspect that putting a meat patty in some bread has been invented many, many times. Still, it is interesting to try to find out when the modern incarnation got started.

2. Top | #12
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiploc View Post
    When I was a youngster, I read a purported explanation in a newspaper:

Ground beef became popular in Hamburg Germany. Sailors who liked it in Hamburg would order "Hamburg style" in other ports.

Street vendors in New York sold little Hamburg steaks on buns, and thus the "hamburger" was born.
    How much of that do I remember and how much did I confabulate? I actually think I'm remembering what I read.

But I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the article -- which I now remember was in a feature called "Junior Editors' Quiz" -- beyond this one bit: I have checked with Google Maps, and it turns out that Hamburg Germany is in fact accessible by water.

Another Google search calls into question my spelling of "Junior Editors' Quiz." Different papers seem to have put the apostrophe in different places, if they included it at all.

A search for "'Junior Editors' Quiz' hamburger" turns up a newspaper archive service that may have the original article behind a paywall.
    FYI, ground beef, traditionally is intended to make something expensive, beef, cheaper, by mixing it with other stuff. That's the story of fish balls/gefilte fish. Same story.

"Popular" isn't quite the operative word here. They liked it because they could afford something which vaguely resembled something expensive.

3. Top | #13
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I need to look this up with my Alton Brown books. He's big into food history.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    I'm reluctant to read too much into being named after that city. Hotdogs are also called frankfurters and wieners, after another German city and an Austrian city.
    One claim I heard was it became Hot Dog because the guy popularizing them in the US didn't know how to spell Dachshund. Though, that doesn't make too much sense.

I suppose another reason to go with Hot Dog is because "Insult to Sausage" wouldn't have sold well.

4. Top | #14
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Higgins View Post
    I need to look this up with my Alton Brown books. He's big into food history.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    I'm reluctant to read too much into being named after that city. Hotdogs are also called frankfurters and wieners, after another German city and an Austrian city.
    One claim I heard was it became Hot Dog because the guy popularizing them in the US didn't know how to spell Dachshund. Though, that doesn't make too much sense.

I suppose another reason to go with Hot Dog is because "Insult to Sausage" wouldn't have sold well.

The world's greatest hot dog. The main ingredient in Flint style coney dogs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

5. Top | #15
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    The name certainly suggests a geographical origin. Northern German cities often give their names to locally produced food items; The Berliner, for example, is a kind of jam donut. A glance at a map reveals a fair number of urban centres that fit this pattern:

Attached Images Attached Images

6. Top | #16
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    The name certainly suggests a geographical origin. Northern German cities often give their names to locally produced food items; The Berliner, for example, is a kind of jam donut. A glance at a map reveals a fair number of urban centres that fit this pattern: