Thread: China's Mars rover has landed

1. Top | #1
    Archived
    Total Posts

China's Mars rover has landed

I've been rather slow on this, but I haven't seen much coverage of it.

This combined orbiter-lander-rover is China's first interplanetary mission, and so far, it has succeeded.

It was launched from Wenchang spaceport on 2020 Jul 23. That spaceport is on the NE end of Hainan island, off of SE mainland China's coast.

After nearly 7 months of interplanetary travel, it arrived on Mars on 2021 Feb 10 and went into orbit around that planet. After some 3 months of looking at pictures returned by that orbiter, the spacecraft's operators found a landing site for its lander. It is in Utopia Planitia, the Solar System's largest known impact feature, a place where the Viking 2 lander landed in 1976.

The lander was released and it landed on 2021 May 14, and the Zhurong rover left its lander on May 22.

So far, the only pictures I've seen from that rover are of its lander as the rover departed from it.

There is also a picture from orbit of the lander and the rover.

Timeline of Solar System exploration - List of missions to Mars

2. Top | #2
    The Panda has landed.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I can't wait for the first Barbie to be made on Mars!! I predict Hot Pants Martian Barbie will be the top-demand toy for Xmas '22. Anti-maskers need to get ready for the Movid-19 virus, which will be coded and interwoven in Barbie's hair.

4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    I suppose it was an attempt at making friends with China. There has been a coloration between NASA and China.

Put a sticker on it 'Funded by American consumers and enabled by stolen intellectual property'