Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No, Rashida Tlaib. Somebody being criticized for making idiotic statements is not violation of freedom of speech!

1. Top | #21
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    Are a few people on this forum trying to turn this sub into "oh my god did you hear the latest outrageous thing that a black person said or did?!" proposition?
    It would be a welcome change from the usual "oh my god did you hear the latest outrageous thing that a white cis-man said or did?!" fare on here.

But no, I don't care about color, I care about the outrageous thing they said or did. In the case of this thread, we have one black person and one white person saying stupid shit.

Also, dude, "sub"? This is not Reddit!

2. Top | #22
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Double points if the person is female. Triple if she's a woman of color and Muslim.
    Because those people should not be criticized, not ever, or else it's denying them their "freedom of speech", right?

It is only ok to criticize white men, preferably straight and cis, on this "sub".

3. Top | #23
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepTalking View Post
    Today I learned that
    What you should have learned is that the presidential forum exists and that you should take your mental masturbation about Trump over there instead of always derailing other threads. This thread is about Omar and Tlaib and the idiotic things they tweeted.

4. Top | #24
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiprHead View Post
    I saw the comment that prompted this. She said both the Israeli government and Hamas should be held accountable for their war crimes.
    Hamas is committing war crimes by shooting rockets at civilians from civilian areas, and doing things like digging offensive tunnels under UN schools. Israel is targeting Hamas fighters and infrastructure, which is legal conduct in war. Taliban is suicide bombing civilians, among myriad other atrocities. US in bombing Taliban.
    Sometimes civilians are killed in legal wartime actions. That is not a war crime. It is a war crime to target civilians or coopt civilian infrastructure for combat. Like Hamas. Like Taliban.

Omar explicitly equated US and Israel with Taliban and Hamas. Which is idiotic enough.

But the real gold medal winner of the Special Congressional Olympics is Tlaib, an alleged lawyer mind you, who responded to criticism of Omar with a statement that criticism of Omar's statement means "black women don't have freedom of speech". If you can't tell why this statement is idiotic, you need to go back to school and repeat basic Civics.

5. Top | #25
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctish View Post
    just, fair, and reasonable!
    It is none of those things. Do you think Tlaib saying that criticism of Omar is tantamount to taking away her freedom of speech is "reasonable" too?

6. Top | #26
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    just, fair, and reasonable!
    It is none of those things. Do you think Tlaib saying that criticism of Omar is tantamount to taking away her freedom of speech is "reasonable" too?
    I quoted what I was responding to. If you missed it, just click on the little double arrow in the blue box next to my name.

7. Top | #27
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    Imagine if Congress was as outraged by what Palestinians endure daily. (link)" / Twitter
    They should be outraged. But they should also correctly identify the problem.
    Hamas, first and foremost. But also the Abbas regime with its "pay to slay" program that pays big bucks to terrorists who kill Israelis.

8. Top | #28
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I quoted what I was responding to. If you missed it, just click on the little double arrow in the blue box next to my name.
    What you quoted is Zipr's editorializing, not what Omar actually wrote. And note that Omar has a long history of anti-Israel and antisemitic statements.

9. Top | #29
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    That is a very weak response from Pelosi, just like last time Omar tweeted something antisemitic. Omar should be stripped of all committee assignments and regarded as a MTG-like pariah in the House.

And Tlaib should be sent back to school to repeat a basic Civics course.

10. Top | #30
    Elder Contributor
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lpetrich View Post
    But twist themselves into a pretzel defending Trump calling our country a country of “A lot of Killers”.
    Omar, Tlaib and Trump. If you add their IQs together, you may crack three digits. If they are having a good day.