Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Austin newspaper doesn't want to print suspect description because it could perpetuate 'harmful stereotypes'.

  1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    7,599
    Archived
    10,974
    Total Posts
    18,573
    Rep Power
    61

    Austin newspaper doesn't want to print suspect description because it could perpetuate 'harmful stereotypes'.

    The story is about a shooting in Texas:
    https://www.statesman.com/story/news...ge/7666624002/

    The newspaper has printed the following at the bottom of the story:
    Editor's note: Police have only released a vague description of the suspected shooter as of Saturday morning. The Austin American-Statesman is not including the description as it is too vague at this time to be useful in identifying the shooter and such publication could be harmful in perpetuating stereotypes. If more detailed information is released, we will update our reporting.
    Note that the police description is not a secret and other media outlets have quoted it. I'm so sick of the white fragility that means newspapers withhold descriptions of white mass shooters because that's the harmful stereotype of a mass shooter. The Austin American-Statesman was right to withhold the description.

  2. Top | #2
    Contributor Trausti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    8,600
    Archived
    372
    Total Posts
    8,972
    Rep Power
    68
    Well, if it’s a mass shooting with more wounded than dead, probably not a White guy. Stereotype accuracy FTW.

  3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,996
    Archived
    229
    Total Posts
    4,225
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Note that the police description is not a secret and other media outlets have quoted it. I'm so sick of the white fragility that means newspapers withhold descriptions of white mass shooters because that's the harmful stereotype of a mass shooter. The Austin American-Statesman was right to withhold the description.
    Yep, this is bullshit. The only justifiable reason I can think of is if there is a history in Texas of cops arresting the wrong black guy from vague descriptions.

    https://abc7news.com/harris-county-d...iguez/6416554/

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1805795.html

    https://abcnews.go.com/US/viral-vide...ry?id=63078912

    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-donald-neely

    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...after-n1238986

    Oh...nevermind.

  4. Top | #4
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    20,669
    Archived
    15,686
    Total Posts
    36,355
    Rep Power
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Yep, this is bullshit. The only justifiable reason I can think of is if there is a history in Texas of cops arresting the wrong black guy from vague descriptions.
    The police already have the description. The only reason The Statesman refuses to publish a description is that they continue to feed their own stereotype that mass shooting are white men's fault. Similar to what certain posters here are doing.

  5. Top | #5
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    20,669
    Archived
    15,686
    Total Posts
    36,355
    Rep Power
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Well, if it’s a mass shooting with more wounded than dead, probably not a White guy. Stereotype accuracy FTW.
    It's that gangsta gun grip.

    Abed's vintage alarm clock is *chef's kiss* though.
    Last edited by Derec; 06-13-2021 at 09:11 AM.

  6. Top | #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,996
    Archived
    229
    Total Posts
    4,225
    Rep Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Derec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    Yep, this is bullshit. The only justifiable reason I can think of is if there is a history in Texas of cops arresting the wrong black guy from vague descriptions.
    The police already have the description. The only reason The Statesman refuses to publish a description is that they continue to feed their own stereotype that mass shooting are white men's fault. Similar to what certain posters here are doing.
    Fuck, my mistake. Then the newspaper has no excuse whatsoever. In fact, the only legitimate reason for withholding such a vague description of the suspect would be if citizens accidentally kill the wrong guy in a fit of vigilantism.

    In Texas.

    Say in the last few weeks.

    Police reports listed a black Dodge Charger as a possible suspect vehicle, the sheriff's office said in a statement. Deputies responding to the scene found a dark gray Dodge Challenger — not a black Dodge Charger — had struck a tree in a front yard and had multiple bullet holes on the passenger's side.
    Oh...nevermind.

  7. Top | #7
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    20,669
    Archived
    15,686
    Total Posts
    36,355
    Rep Power
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post

    Fuck, my mistake. Then the newspaper has no excuse whatsoever. In fact, the only legitimate reason for withholding such a vague description of the suspect would be if citizens accidentally kill the wrong guy in a fit of vigilantism.

    In Texas.

    Say in the last few weeks.

    Police reports listed a black Dodge Charger as a possible suspect vehicle, the sheriff's office said in a statement.
    This guy maybe?


    Deputies responding to the scene found a dark gray Dodge Challenger — not a black Dodge Charger — had struck a tree in a front yard and had multiple bullet holes on the passenger's side.
    Oh...nevermind.
    Yeah, I read about that case. Pretty sad story all around. To preempt the stereotypes some people in this "sub" have of Texans, the perps here are all Latin[ao]. It is also not clear if the real suspect (ex-girlfriend's friend) is black like the victim or if they went by the car description alone.

    In any case, this family did not need no stinkin' newspaper to tell them. They knew the suspect, so they knew what he looked like and what he drove. On them for not being able to tell one Dodge muscle car from another, I guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •