Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 44

Thread: Population

  1. Top | #1
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    7,127
    Rep Power
    22

    Population

    Fro, a BBC report tonight global population is expected to peak in around 40 years and then drastically decline, except sub Saharan Africa.

    Major causes are industrialization reducing the need to have kids to support you as you age, opportunities for women and normalizing single women in the work force, and the cost of raising children.

    China is in trouble economically. Population expected to decline as much as 50% which will shrink the economy. Similar with Japan. Aging population and declining young people to support retirement.

    China went from 1 child to 2 child and limits now encourages 3 children per couple. The aggressively enforced past 1 chid program has resulted in declining young people today affecting the work force.

    Free market capitalism based on growth appears to be headed for trouble.

    The program was from China. The people interviewed sounded a lot like the west in general. A middle class where both men and women do not want kids and opt for careers.

    The forecast is what it is, but there will still be too many people.

  2. Top | #2
    Contributor DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,503
    Archived
    5,746
    Total Posts
    15,249
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    Free market capitalism based on growth appears to be headed for trouble.
    People keep saying that and it keeps not being true. What free market capitalism has going for it is that it works even though the rulers are incompetent and apart from cartell formation it's inherently self regulating.

    Why would the free market not also sort this out?

  3. Top | #3
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    23,850
    Archived
    16,553
    Total Posts
    40,403
    Rep Power
    81
    Free market capitalism is another word for exploitation of the weak by the strong.

    That works to a point.

    Greed makes it collapse.

    But when capitalism collapses as it continually does the capitalists are the people with no clue how to fix it.

  4. Top | #4
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    7,127
    Rep Power
    22
    I agree that one of the benefits of free market capitalism is that it runs by itself generally without govt direct action.

    However business can not grow unless population grows. From the BBC report China is starting to have a problem with labor.

    When the American birth rate declined it was immigration that fueled the economy. A fact overlooked by Trump and his followers.

    Hypothetical, how can you start a new business if everyone is employed?

  5. Top | #5
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    6,365
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    People keep saying that and it keeps not being true. What free market capitalism has going for it is that it works even though the rulers are incompetent and apart from cartell formation it's inherently self regulating.
    Evidence?

    Capitalist markets crash all the time...
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

  6. Top | #6
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,107
    Archived
    4,797
    Total Posts
    9,904
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I agree that one of the benefits of free market capitalism is that it runs by itself generally without govt direct action.

    However business can not grow unless population grows.
    Unless business sells more stuff to the same number of people as before, by, you know, raising the standard of living.

    From the BBC report China is starting to have a problem with labor.

    When the American birth rate declined it was immigration that fueled the economy.
    Well, that, and innovation, and falling interest rates, and ...

    A fact overlooked by Trump and his followers.

    Hypothetical, how can you start a new business if everyone is employed?
    Hypothetically, by offering already employed people a raise, or better working conditions, or more fun jobs?

  7. Top | #7
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,107
    Archived
    4,797
    Total Posts
    9,904
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Why would the free market not also sort this out?
    Funny you should ask...

    Quote Originally Posted by untermensche View Post
    Free market capitalism is another word for exploitation of the weak by the strong. ... But when capitalism collapses as it continually does the capitalists are the people with no clue how to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Why would the free market not also sort this out?
    Because the population is full of religious zealots, who due to non-evidence-based ideological motivations won't allow the free market to sort it out. For example, the free market solution to an awful lot of the sustainability problems in mankind's current activities is painfully obvious -- nuclear power -- but millions of politically influential delusional people keep demanding that we instead use more dangerous energy sources. Why? Because safety is their highest priority!!! How the heck is the free market supposed to sort out that kind of problem?

  8. Top | #8
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    6,411
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    19,387
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_bank View Post
    I agree that one of the benefits of free market capitalism is that it runs by itself generally without govt direct action.

    However business can not grow unless population grows. From the BBC report China is starting to have a problem with labor.
    Capitalism does not require unlimited growth.

    Someone who grows potatoes and sells them is a capitalist. Their business can only grow to the point that they grow and sell all the potatoes their little farm can produce. Such a capitalistic business can survive and provide a living for generations of the family.

    The same for any business; auto repair, pottery, commercial fishing, etc. etc.

  9. Top | #9
    Contributor DrZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    9,503
    Archived
    5,746
    Total Posts
    15,249
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    People keep saying that and it keeps not being true. What free market capitalism has going for it is that it works even though the rulers are incompetent and apart from cartell formation it's inherently self regulating.
    Evidence?

    Capitalist markets crash all the time...
    Yes, yet here we are, capitalism still going strong, outperforming every other system.

    I never said capitalism isn't a horribly cruel and flawed system. I'm just saying that it works.

  10. Top | #10
    Contributor skepticalbip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Searching for reality along the long and winding road
    Posts
    6,411
    Archived
    12,976
    Total Posts
    19,387
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
    People keep saying that and it keeps not being true. What free market capitalism has going for it is that it works even though the rulers are incompetent and apart from cartell formation it's inherently self regulating.
    Evidence?

    Capitalist markets crash all the time...
    Yes, yet here we are, capitalism still going strong, outperforming every other system.

    I never said capitalism isn't a horribly cruel and flawed system. I'm just saying that it works.
    It is capitalism (the black market) that makes socialist economies work as long as they do. Without the black market (capitalistic free trade), the Soviet Union would have collapsed much earlier than it did. The black market (capitalism) is the only thing that allows the majority of people in Venezuela today to survive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •