Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 206

Thread: Happy Juneteenth one and all!

  1. Top | #91
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    19,296
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    61,239
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    You are like a dog with an irrelevant bone. It is fascinating to see someone who routinely expects his audience to understand his extrapolations of law or incidents to be incapable of following the extrapolations of others.

    Moreover, if you even bothered to read your own citations, it should be obvious that
    (6) No teacher, administrator, or other employee in
    any state agency, school district, campus, open-enrollment charter
    school, or school administration shall shall require, or make part
    of a course the following concepts: (1) one race or sex is
    inherently superior to another race or sex; (2) an individual, by
    virtue of his or her race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or
    oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously; (3) an
    individual should be discriminated against or receive adverse
    treatment solely or partly because of his or her race or sex; (4)
    members of one race or sex cannot and should not attempt to treat
    others without respect to race or sex; (5) an individual's moral
    character is necessarily determined by his or her race or sex; (6)
    an individual, by virtue of his or her race or sex, bears
    responsibility for actions committed in the past by other members
    of the same race or sex; (7) any individual should feel discomfort,
    guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress on
    account of his or her race or sex; or (8) meritocracy or traits such
    as a hard work ethic are racist or sexist, or were created by a
    members of a particular race to oppress members of another race.
    allows any snowflake to stymie fruitful analysis and discussions about slavery and meritocracy or genocides.
    What flaming bullshit. It certainly upsets the neo-racists when people are treated as individuals.
    You response certainly shows it.

  2. Top | #92
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    19,296
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    61,239
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    I reserve judgment on the over all desirability of the laws. But I do not think the left should weaponise a false narrative about the laws using Juneteenth as a springboard.
    But is okay for "the right" to do so?

  3. Top | #93
    Administrator Mumbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,585
    Archived
    5,536
    Total Posts
    7,121
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    allows any snowflake to stymie fruitful analysis and discussions about slavery and meritocracy or genocides.
    Particularly true given how incredibly quickly right-wingers insert race into just about anything - eg. "Obamacare/the stimulus is reparations", "Obama banned deepwater offshore drilling because he's a Kenyan anti-colonialist and not because of that disastrous spill in the Gulf, he's not even American where's his birth certificate", "Black Lives Matter is a violent supremacist group controlled by the jews to kill cops and replace the white race for some reason" (note on this last one: how did the Jews/George Soros become the evil masterminds?).

  4. Top | #94
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    12,086
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    15,741
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    There's some confusion here, isn't there? Juneteenth, Critical Race Theory and the 1619 Project are all different things. They seem to be getting lumped together as if they are one and the same.
    Bingo.

    I'd never heard of Juneteenth until I joined the NAACP.
    Explaining it in broad strokes is really easy. I'm sure schools could manage it as easily as describing Thanksgiving or Presidents Day.
    Tom
    Yeah, it just marks the day when the last of the slaves were freed. What's the big deal? We all know the slaves were freed. No controversy there. I do wonder if making it a federal holiday is going to make our current racial divide worse though. People are going to exploit it for their own political ends, so if for some reason you're not 100% on board with it, you're going to be branded a racist. And it you make too big a deal about Juneteenth, you'll come across as just trying to pile on even more white guilt.
    I think the problem is that for some people. freeing the slaves was a bad thing. For lots of others, merely acknowledging slavery is a bad thing because it makes them uncomfortable and might lead to other discussions such as race in America.

  5. Top | #95
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NOT laying back and thinking of England
    Posts
    12,086
    Archived
    3,655
    Total Posts
    15,741
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave View Post
    There's some confusion here, isn't there? Juneteenth, Critical Race Theory and the 1619 Project are all different things. They seem to be getting lumped together as if they are one and the same.
    Some people seem to regard Juneteenth as a gateway drug.

  6. Top | #96
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Located 100 miles east of A in America
    Posts
    31,728
    Archived
    42,473
    Total Posts
    74,201
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave (my emphasis) View Post
    Yeah, it just marks the day when the last of the slaves were freed. What's the big deal? We all know the slaves were freed. No controversy there. I do wonder if making it a federal holiday is going to make our current racial divide worse though. People are going to exploit it for their own political ends, so if for some reason you're not 100% on board with it, you're going to be branded a racist. And it you make too big a deal about Juneteenth, you'll come across as just trying to pile on even more white guilt.
    Yup, because the only people that exploit the racial divide are people of color or white liberals.

  7. Top | #97
    Aethiopian Gospel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,400
    Archived
    138
    Total Posts
    1,538
    Rep Power
    53
    I'm just happy to see that Juneteenth is off to a good start on being a Federal holiday. ThanksGiving, July 4th & Christmas gets just as much love, hate & fence-sitting annually.

  8. Top | #98
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Midwestern USA
    Posts
    1,850
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel View Post
    I'm just happy to see that Juneteenth is off to a good start on being a Federal holiday. ThanksGiving, July 4th & Christmas gets just as much love, hate & fence-sitting annually.
    I hope it doesn't get commercialized into a parody.

    I'm from a conservative Irish family. Many of my relatives found the spectacle of black bartenders, in English pubs, selling green beer to drunken Italians on Saint Patrick's Day less than particularly meaningful or respectful.
    Tom

  9. Top | #99
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    19,296
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    61,239
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeave (my emphasis) View Post
    Yeah, it just marks the day when the last of the slaves were freed. What's the big deal? We all know the slaves were freed. No controversy there. I do wonder if making it a federal holiday is going to make our current racial divide worse though. People are going to exploit it for their own political ends, so if for some reason you're not 100% on board with it, you're going to be branded a racist. And it you make too big a deal about Juneteenth, you'll come across as just trying to pile on even more white guilt.
    We all know we liberated ourselves from the British, so what's the big deal about the July 4th federal holiday?
    We all know about the pilgrims, so what's the big deal about the Thanksgiving day holiday? We all know people were killed in wars, so what's the big deal about Memorial day?
    We all know about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, what's the big deal about President's day?
    We all know about MLK, so what's the big deal about MLK day?

    The answer to all of the above (along with Juneteenth day) is to honor the memory of that day or accomplishments.

  10. Top | #100
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,054
    Archived
    4,797
    Total Posts
    9,851
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb#20 View Post
    No, it appears they are trying to stifle teachers telling children that white people are racists and oppressors and thus a morally inferior race.
    Well, since CRT explicitly rejects the idea of an "inferior race", you'll have to quote that specific part of the law.
    In the first place, your opinion about whether CRT rejects the idea of an "inferior race" isn't relevant to the question in dispute. My opinion about that isn't relevant either; neither is the CRT authors' opinion; in fact, not even the fact of the matter of whether CRT rejects the idea of an "inferior race" is relevant. We were arguing about the intent of the laws. For establishing the laws' intent, only the opinion of the legislators matters. And it seems painfully obvious that the authors of these laws think that the moral inferiority of the white race is one of the elements of CRT doctrine.

    And in the second place, what was even your point? Are you seriously proposing that CRT explicitly rejecting the idea of an "inferior race" has any bearing whatsoever on whether in fact it teaches that white people are inferior? What, do you also think the fact that the Bible says "Thou shalt not kill." has any bearing whatsoever on whether in fact the Bible contains an awful lot of verses directing us to kill people? We are not going to uncritically accept the premise that CRT is internally consistent as a shared basis for discussion.

    Oh, and the fact that many of these state laws are phrased stupidly is *exactly* the point.
    It's A point; but it's not the only point up for discussion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •