View Poll Results: Did you take a class in Critical Race Theory?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    1 3.13%
  • No

    31 96.88%
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 352

Thread: Did you take a class in critical race theory?

  1. Top | #131
    Aethiopian Gospel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,753
    Archived
    138
    Total Posts
    1,891
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    CRT is the television and computer monitor technology that preceded flat screens. It stands for 'Cathode Ray Tube'.

    Hope this helps.
    Yeah. That's the term that always comes to my mind.
    Yeah, when you're old AF.

  2. Top | #132
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    19,546
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    61,489
    Rep Power
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Mainstream news media: 'Nobody is teaching CRT in K-12 schools!'

    Largest K-12 teachers unions: 'We must continue to teach CRT!'

    We Need to Teach the Truth About Systemic Racism, Say Educators
    It seems to me that anyone, including you, would want the truth about systemic racism to be taught. After all, if it is true there is no systemic racism, that truth should be taught.

    But for some reason, your secular religion has dictated to you that critical race theory and systematic racism are the same or that systematic racism is a basic tenet of critical race theory, and you believe it while posting links that rebut those ignorant secular religious claims.

    From your linked article
    Critical race theory, explains Buggs, originated from legal studies and, at its most basic definition, is thinking about the ways that racism—particularly White supremacy, anti-Blackness, and various kinds of racialized inequality—is embedded into law and legal practice, as well as other kinds of policy within institutions.
    “If we're trying to make the law more equitable, if we're trying to make workplaces and other kinds of institutions function more fairly, then we have to consider the ways that racial inequality is literally embedded into how these things were designed in terms of who was recognized as having rights,” says Buggs.
    Your cited article does not say anything that you claim.
    If your claims are imputed summaries, they are grossly inaccurate.

  3. Top | #133
    Elder Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    19,546
    Archived
    41,943
    Total Posts
    61,489
    Rep Power
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laughing dog View Post
    Is there a white snowflake site where you can find all of these examples of people making unsubstantiated and sometimes irrational claims?

    That child feels left out and that he has done something wrong because the principal in a speech didn't mention anyone who looked like him. Wow. If his story is true, then I have a little sympathy for him but for some reason neither he thought that might be how thousands of minority children have felt for decades.

    Finally, and more importantly, public schools have been pushing political viewpoints on children forever. The only problem some people have is that they don't like what they think is the current viewpoint.

    There is no neutral viewpoint in education. The decisions on what topics to cover and how to cover them are inherently political in nature.

    Do I think there are schools or teachers that overdue it? Of course - but that is true regardless of the political viewpoint that is being promulgated.

    But for some reason, pointing out or pushing the notion that minorities count for as much and are as important as the majority is getting the majority group in a fucking lather.
    YOU probably have most of your working life behind you, while this kid is in the trenches.
    I suspect that lg is one of the self-flagellants. He can't understand why the evil White boy just won't take the whip.
    No, I get why there are people who are upset about this - I have relatives who sort of think like this. In their cases, it is a combination of fear of change and a feeling of being left behind. But, IMO, to their credit, they do not spout the pettiness, overt bigotry, vileness and delusional feelings present in this thread.

  4. Top | #134
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Posts
    2,968
    Archived
    4,183
    Total Posts
    7,151
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Gospel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bilby View Post
    CRT is the television and computer monitor technology that preceded flat screens. It stands for 'Cathode Ray Tube'.

    Hope this helps.
    Yeah. That's the term that always comes to my mind.
    Yeah, when you're old AF.

  5. Top | #135
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,547
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    I'm curious if anybody knows anyone currently taking a class in critical race theory. I suspect it isn't as widespread as claimed by conservatives.
    I know three people. They have become idiots.
    Example: "Don't get a mortgage because banks give better rates to white people than black people."
    By getting a loan, you are a racist. really.

  6. Top | #136
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,547
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Trausti View Post
    Mainstream news media: 'Nobody is teaching CRT in K-12 schools!'

    Largest K-12 teachers unions: 'We must continue to teach CRT!'

    We Need to Teach the Truth About Systemic Racism, Say Educators
    From your linked article:
    What’s happening within K-12 public education in certain areas around the country is a “misrepresentation of critical race theory,” she says.

    “The fact that some politicians are naming the “1619 Project” [as critical race theory], which it is not; it’s a piece of journalism…is certainly rooted in a backlash to people…learning about the ways that the history of inequality in this country still informs the inequality that people experience today.”
    Does that clear up your confusion as to why some say it is being taught and some are saying it is not?

  7. Top | #137
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    6,668
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patooka View Post
    I'm curious if anybody knows anyone currently taking a class in critical race theory. I suspect it isn't as widespread as claimed by conservatives.
    I know three people. They have become idiots.
    Example: "Don't get a mortgage because banks give better rates to white people than black people."
    Aside from the part that either you or they invented ("don't get a mortgage" would not solve the problem, and CRT specialists aren't big fans of meaningless virtue signaling as a general rule) this is a fact, easily researched. Banks do, in fact, preferentially award mortgages and other associated loans to whites, and the reasons for that touch on the core ideas of CRT, that institutional racism survives less because of the actions of racist individuals than because the system was set up in such a way as to preserve class biases.

    Disparity in home lending costs minorities millions, researchers find

    A recent analysis of nearly 7 million 30-year mortgages by University of California at Berkeley researchers found that black and Latino applicants were charged higher interest — an average of nearly 0.08% — and heavier refinance fees when compared with white borrowers. That was in face-to-face transactions. When applying online or through an app, minorities still ended up paying more, though terms were slightly better than when borrowing in person.

    The upshot: Long-standing discrimination faced by people of color in getting a home loan can be reproduced in software-based lending, technology that advocates say is supposed to prevent bias.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/19/lend...an-whites.html

    For refinances specifically, Black borrowers are denied mortgage refinance loans, on average, 30.22% of the time, far higher than the overall denial rate of 17.07%, according to an analysis of the HMDA data by LendingTree, an online mortgage marketplace.

    Part of that high denial rate may be because minority consumers overall have lower incomes and lower credit scores than White consumers. They also tend to live in more disadvantaged neighborhoods with lower home values. None of that was the case with Akridge, whose townhome is in a brand new development in a quiet suburb just outside Washington, D.C.

    Two more lenders called Akridge, and he decided not to disclose his race. Both offered him competitive market rates on a refinance. One even offered to beat the other.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

  8. Top | #138
    Loony Running The Asylum ZiprHead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Do you like my pretty crown?
    Posts
    26,014
    Archived
    3,034
    Total Posts
    29,048
    Rep Power
    100
    When conservatives realize they cannot win democratically, they will not abandon conservatism. They will abandon democracy.

    Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.

  9. Top | #139
    Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    5,086
    Rep Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post

    Aside from the part that either you or they invented ("don't get a mortgage" would not solve the problem, and CRT specialists aren't big fans of meaningless virtue signaling as a general rule) this is a fact, easily researched. Banks do, in fact, preferentially award mortgages and other associated loans to whites, and the reasons for that touch on the core ideas of CRT, that institutional racism survives less because of the actions of racist individuals than because the system was set up in such a way as to preserve class biases.

    Disparity in home lending costs minorities millions, researchers find

    A recent analysis of nearly 7 million 30-year mortgages by University of California at Berkeley researchers found that black and Latino applicants were charged higher interest — an average of nearly 0.08% — and heavier refinance fees when compared with white borrowers. That was in face-to-face transactions. When applying online or through an app, minorities still ended up paying more, though terms were slightly better than when borrowing in person.

    The upshot: Long-standing discrimination faced by people of color in getting a home loan can be reproduced in software-based lending, technology that advocates say is supposed to prevent bias.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/19/lend...an-whites.html

    For refinances specifically, Black borrowers are denied mortgage refinance loans, on average, 30.22% of the time, far higher than the overall denial rate of 17.07%, according to an analysis of the HMDA data by LendingTree, an online mortgage marketplace.

    Part of that high denial rate may be because minority consumers overall have lower incomes and lower credit scores than White consumers. They also tend to live in more disadvantaged neighborhoods with lower home values. None of that was the case with Akridge, whose townhome is in a brand new development in a quiet suburb just outside Washington, D.C.

    Two more lenders called Akridge, and he decided not to disclose his race. Both offered him competitive market rates on a refinance. One even offered to beat the other.
    Residential loans are extremely regulated through fair lending, reg b and etc. As a result, they are very formula driven. Banks have to have set criteria to determine these loans. For example: a borrower may need 700 beacon score, 40% D:I; 10% down to qualify for a loan. If they are denied a loan, it's not because of their race, it's due to them not achieving the criteria. If blacks were systematically denied loans despite exceeding these ratios, they could sue that bank out of existence. There is more lender discretion in commercial loans by the way...

  10. Top | #140
    Sapere aude Politesse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Chochenyo Territory, US
    Posts
    6,668
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Politesse View Post

    Aside from the part that either you or they invented ("don't get a mortgage" would not solve the problem, and CRT specialists aren't big fans of meaningless virtue signaling as a general rule) this is a fact, easily researched. Banks do, in fact, preferentially award mortgages and other associated loans to whites, and the reasons for that touch on the core ideas of CRT, that institutional racism survives less because of the actions of racist individuals than because the system was set up in such a way as to preserve class biases.

    Disparity in home lending costs minorities millions, researchers find



    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/19/lend...an-whites.html
    Residential loans are extremely regulated through fair lending, reg b and etc. As a result, they are very formula driven. Banks have to have set criteria to determine these loans. For example: a borrower may need 700 beacon score, 40% D:I; 10% down to qualify for a loan. If they are denied a loan, it's not because of their race, it's due to them not achieving the criteria. If blacks were systematically denied loans despite exceeding these ratios, they could sue that bank out of existence. There is more lender discretion in commercial loans by the way...
    You're almost there.

    The whole point of CRT discourse is that the system itself, not just the individual feelings of gatekeepers like lending agents, often results in systemic discrimination against Blacks. Fixing overt racism would be good, but it's not enough if the goal to create genuine racial equity. If the end result is that Blacks are unfairly discriminated against in the housing market, that's the case even if the reasons for it are couched in other terms. Saying "that's just the way our system is set up" is not, from the perspective of someone who wants to end unfair and discriminatory practices, a sufficient answer to the problem. If a person can vastly change the outcome of a loan application simply by concealing their race, there's a big problem here, even if a computer algorithm presumably with no personal feelings at all is to blame.

    Your statement that "they (all black people, I guess?) could sue the bank out of existence" contains some flawed assumptions. Banks are, in fact, routinely and successfully sued for discriminatory practices, despite the fact that it is statistically much harder for Black people to pursue and win lawsuits. Indeed, many of the largest suits ever pursued against this industry have been over racial discrimination issues. However, losing lawsuits does not put major lenders out of business. Countrywide, Wells Fargo, etc simply absorb the costs of those settlements and continue their malicious behavior.
    "Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the tree of knowledge."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •