Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to plant on mars

1. Top | #1
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts

What to plant on mars

Okay, I know you can’t plant on Mars. I’m using that as shorthand for this question:

If you were to bring plant life to an empty planet, assuming it has sufficient water, what would you bring? And what would you assiduously avoid?

And why?

2. Top | #2
    Might be a replicant Emily Lake's Avatar
    I'd bring plants that produce edible materials - fruits, vegetables, nuts. I might bring plants that produce herbs and seasonings, especially ones with medicinal value or which contain trace nutrients.

I would outlaw most of the plants that cause lots of allergic reactions without providing any nutritional or medicinal value. That includes cedar and juniper, because those things suck.

3. Top | #3
    Veteran Member
    Archived
    Total Posts
    No kale. Let us establish a kale-free agriculture and resist all efforts at kalinization. Beets only with a 2/3 vote of the intergalactic council (sugar beets excepted.)

4. Top | #4
    Super Moderator
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Mars? Obviously, the sweet potato!

5. Top | #5
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Moss would be a good start.

6. Top | #6
    The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
    Archived
    Total Posts
    If potatoes are good enough for Mark Watney, they're good enough for me.

But if terraforming is the goal, rather than short term survival, unicellular life is probably the best place to start.

IIRC, even Mark Watney recognised the need for specific bacteria when making soil, and inoculated his dirt-and-faeces blend growing medium with soil samples brought from Earth.

7. Top | #7
    Cyborg with a Tiara
    Archived
    Total Posts
    I was thinking about whether I’d allow grass. It is amazingly resilient, one of the most. And yet, it is also pretty invasive. What would it be like to have all trees and no shrubs?

ANd none of that damned knotweed.

I’d bring all kinds of edibles, yes. And I would also have a heavy emphasis on those trees. I like trees.

8. Top | #8
    Contributor
    Cucumbers for pickles.

What micro organisms are needed?

Are you assuming an O2 environment?

Look up the biosphere dome project from the 80s. A sealed dome with the idea of prucg O2 and food for a small group of humans. It failed. O2 dropped due to unaccounted bacteria in the soil or something like that.

Assuming there is nothing to begin with you do not want aggressive species that are hard to control. What is that imported plant in the South that took over areas? Kuzdu?

The obvious, staples. Potatoes, rice, beans, vegetables. You have to have tomatoes. Not worth he effort without tomatoes. With tomatoes you get tomato sauce for pasta, so you need wheat.

Spices and seasoning, garlic is a staple.

Trees.

9. Top | #9
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Cyanobacteria.
    Let evolution take it from there.

10. Top | #10
    Formerly Joedad
    Archived
    Total Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily Lake View Post
    I'd bring plants that produce edible materials - fruits, vegetables, nuts. I might bring plants that produce herbs and seasonings, especially ones with medicinal value or which contain trace nutrients.

I would outlaw most of the plants that cause lots of allergic reactions without providing any nutritional or medicinal value. That includes cedar and juniper, because those things suck.
    I'm going to assume we have a food synthesizer like on Star Trek so we can make and eat anything we want.

So if the climate is appropriate I want to bring all the native plants that exist in Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Redwood National Parks. Then I want to toss in some Bristlecone Pine for the highest elevations capable of supporting trees.